Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Asthetics opinions wanted on lighting outside of shop

Local code requires a man light above the shop man door, I'm hoping I
can get away with it to the side and about even with the top of the
door frame. I'd like some asthetic opinions on light placement and
number of lights.

The particular fixture I found was inexpensive and happened to be at
Lowes. I wanted something besides "carriage lanterns" that are seen on
nearly all other shops and garages.

http://images.lowes.com/product/725916/725916100254.jpg

Using some microwave magnets I was able to hold the light on the side
of the shop "above the man door":

http://alan.firebin.net/images/20061...p_light-1a.jpg

I then took another photo of the light on the side of the 10x10 garage
door, and copied the light to a couple other locations.
3 lights
http://alan.firebin.net/images/20061...p_light-3a.jpg

2 lights
http://alan.firebin.net/images/20061...p_light-3b.jpg
the questions:

1. for those who build is "above the man door" satisfied with my
placement?

2. do two lights look better than three lights?

3. would you put a third light next to the garage door or center it
over the large window?

Thanks!

Alan

Posted to rec.woodworking

"arw01" wrote in message
oups.com...
Local code requires a man light above the shop man door, I'm hoping I
can get away with it to the side and about even with the top of the
door frame. I'd like some asthetic opinions on light placement and
number of lights.

1. for those who build is "above the man door" satisfied with my
placement?

That would be determined by the building inspector. Why not ask him? It
will save a lot of problems after it is wired. Some inspectors will be
happy if it meets the spirit of the code, others will measure to see it it
is perfect height. If it is your own shop for hoby use, he may be more
practical than if it is a commercial shop. Some inspectors are great and
helpful, a few are idiots.

2. do two lights look better than three lights?

Depends. If you had a light on either side of the man door, three is OK.
The third above the window looks out of place.

3. would you put a third light next to the garage door or center it
over the large window?

I'd probably have a third flood mounted at the roof peak. I'd also have
either a motion sensor or an X-10 system to turn it on from the house. It
can even work from your car if equipped with Smart Home.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/