Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 18th century finish

Hello! I have a question about the original finishes on 18th century
high-style furniture. It was my impression that most furniture from
this era was finished with several coats of linseed oil and then
varnish. Much of the dark, rich color we see on antiques today is the
result of natural oxidation. However, someone recently told me that
the use of wood stain was fairly common, especially on wood such as
cherry with its greater color variances. Anyone out there know how
common the use of stain was, what it was made from or anything else
about finishing techniques of the 1700s?

Thanks for the help.

MJ

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello! I have a question about the original finishes on 18th century
high-style furniture. It was my impression that most furniture from
this era was finished with several coats of linseed oil and then
varnish. Much of the dark, rich color we see on antiques today is the
result of natural oxidation. However, someone recently told me that
the use of wood stain was fairly common, especially on wood such as
cherry with its greater color variances. Anyone out there know how
common the use of stain was, what it was made from or anything else
about finishing techniques of the 1700s?

Thanks for the help.

My understanding is that stain was often used, but also that some old
finishes will have darkened. Some old woods will have darkened too, but then
some pieces get bleached in the sun. not a simple answer. Re the finish, not
generally varnish but a shellac and spirit mixture - french polish if you
like, of varying colour, proportions, purity and ingredients.

If the answer is important to you will need to consult a more reliable
authority than rec.woodworking. Talk is cheap, and here it is even free.

Tim W

Posted to rec.woodworking

.. Anyone out there know how
common the use of stain was, what it was made from or anything else
about finishing techniques of the 1700s?

Thanks for the help.

MJ

Check out George Frank's book on finishing. He gives several formulas for
the repair and restoration work he did.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Brent Beal" wrote in message

. Anyone out there know how
common the use of stain was, what it was made from or anything else
about finishing techniques of the 1700s?

Thanks for the help.

MJ

Check out George Frank's book on finishing. He gives several formulas for
the repair and restoration work he did.

The correct title....Adventures In Wood Finishing.

Wasn't going to look for it at 11pm last night.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't have any finishing books from the 18th cent., but books on
hardwood
finishing from around the turn of the last century have myriad recipes
for
stains using just about anything one could imagine; nutgalls, walnut
shells,
aspaltum, potash, madder root, nitric acid, burnt sienna, fustic
chips(?),
iodine, and on and on. Linseed oil is also mentioned for use as a
stain.

Thanks for all the info. What are the titles of some of the more
helpful books? I suspect that many of the recipes would have been
familiar to 18th century cabinetmakers. It would be a good place for
me to start.

MJ

Posted to rec.woodworking

quibuslibet wrote...

What are the titles of some of the more
helpful books? I suspect that many of the recipes would have been
familiar to 18th century cabinetmakers.

Biblio, Alibris, and ebay are good sources for used books on-line.

Here are some that I have & like:

Hodgson's New Hardwood Finishing, Including Wood Manipulation, Staining, and
Polishing by Fred T Hodgson, 1904

The Expert Wood Finisher by A Ashmun Kelly, 1921

Wood Finishing Plain and Decorative by F N Vanderwalker, 1944

Easy Methods in Wood Finishing by F Maire, 1911 (a trade school textbook)

I like Hodgson's the best, but they are all packed with info that I imagine
used to be passed from master to apprentice for generations.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com