Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodworkers Mecca?

There are places that woodworkers hope to visit before
they die, preferably long before they die so there's time
to make some pieces based on inspirational/stolen ideas.

For the Greene & Greene / Arts & Crafts aficionados I'm guessing
it's the Gamble House in Santa Barbara, California. (is it just
me or were these guys just Control Phreaks?)
http://www.gamblehouse.org/photos/int/index.html

(if you have QuickTime definitely check out the "360 Virtual Tour")

For The Followers of Krenov it's the College of the Redwoods and
environs

http://www.crfinefurniture.com/

Then there's the enthusiastic teacher's school and at least
five ways to make just about anything you can think of.

http://www.marcadams.com/

And the Artists in Nature - The Anderson Ranch

http://www.andersonranch.org/worksho...%20Woodworking

For the Closest To the Wood - George Nakashima

http://www.nakashimawoodworker.com/

And of course - Sam Maloof's place

http://www.malooffoundation.org/

What woodworking holy sites and what woodworker holy men
would you like to get to before becoming tree food?

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie b wrote:
There are places that woodworkers hope to visit before
they die, preferably long before they die so there's time
to make some pieces based on inspirational/stolen ideas.

For the Greene & Greene / Arts & Crafts aficionados I'm guessing
it's the Gamble House in Santa Barbara, California. (is it just
me or were these guys just Control Phreaks?)
http://www.gamblehouse.org/photos/int/index.html

(if you have QuickTime definitely check out the "360 Virtual Tour")

The Gamble house, along with its big brother, the R.R. Blacker House,
are located in Pasadena, not Santa Barbara.
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie b wrote:

What woodworking holy sites and what woodworker holy men
would you like to get to before becoming tree food?

I haven't been there (yet) but sjhould Colonial Williamsburg, VA
be on the list?

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...

charlie b wrote:

What woodworking holy sites and what woodworker holy men
would you like to get to before becoming tree food?

I haven't been there (yet) but sjhould Colonial Williamsburg, VA
be on the list?

Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum (Edison Institute) a machinery
lover's heaven.

Posted to rec.woodworking

George wrote:

Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum (Edison Institute) a
machinery lover's heaven.

The village is NBD compared to others around the country, but the
museum is a real jewel.

Plan on spending a full 8 hour day if you really want to see things.

There is plenty for the ladies as well as the guys.

A little tip:

A winter visit to the museum is not as crowed and a great way to spend
a gloomy Dearborn day indoors.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
George wrote:

Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum (Edison Institute) a
machinery lover's heaven.

The village is NBD compared to others around the country, but the museum
is a real jewel.

Plan on spending a full 8 hour day if you really want to see things.

There is plenty for the ladies as well as the guys.

A little tip:

A winter visit to the museum is not as crowed and a great way to spend a
gloomy Dearborn day indoors.

Lew

Gillette Castle in East Haddam, CT
From I-95N or S: take Exit 69. Route 9N to Exit 6 or 7. For the
Chester-Hadlyme Ferry, use Exit 6. Follow Route 148 and park signs. The
ferry operates spring through fall.
http://dep.state.ct.us/stateparks/pa...ettecastle.htm
I didn't realize what it was until shortly before I left the area for
the last time:-(
Definitely worth a visit or twelve.
Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie B:

For the Greene & Greene / Arts & Crafts aficionados I'm guessing
it's the Gamble House in Santa Barbara, California. (is it just
me or were these guys just Control Phreaks?)
http://www.gamblehouse.org/photos/int/index.html

Well Pasadena, which is way south of SB. If in Berkley check
out the Thorsen House - one of the G&G houses. It's a university
frat house, but to be part of the fraternity, you have to commit to
maintain the historical elements. They have done a great job.

For The Followers of Krenov it's the College of the Redwoods and
environs

But you know that Krenov doesn't teach there anymore. Right? From
what I overheard in a local art gallery, they're having difficulties
filling benches because of that fact.

As to new places:

1) How about Gustav Stickley's house! It's in NJ and
info can be found at:

http://www.stickleymuseum.org/aboutcf.htm

2) Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesins (both the Wisconsin and Arizona
schools of
architecture.

http://www.taliesinpreservation.org/

3) In the same vein, FLW's studio/house in Oak Park, near Chicago.

http://www.wrightplus.org/

4) And while he'll never have a tour - Norm Abram's place - New Yankee
Workshop:

http://www.newyankee.com/index.shtml

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

I havew been influenced by Krenov ever since reading his exceptional
books. Does anyone know where his works can be viewed?

Charlie B:

http://www.gamblehouse.org/photos/int/index.htmlWell Pasadena, which is way south of SB. If in Berkley check

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jeez - I don't know but I typed "krenov" into Google and I got 152,000 hits
so that might be a palce to start.
wrote in message
ups.com...

I havew been influenced by Krenov ever since reading his exceptional
books. Does anyone know where his works can be viewed?

On Nov 27, 1:55 pm, wrote:
Charlie B:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
SNIP
As to new places:

1) How about Gustav Stickley's house! It's in NJ and
info can be found at:

http://www.stickleymuseum.org/aboutcf.htm

SNIP

Anyone been to the Stickley museum? It's close by and I can have the
kids meet Mrs. Claus
http://www.stickleymuseum.org/christmas.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV:

Anyone been to the Stickley museum? It's close by and I can have the
kids meet Mrs. Claus
http://www.stickleymuseum.org/christmas.htm

Yes, I have and that's why I recommended it. It's very interesting, tho
there is no workshop. Stickley had a NYC office and road the train into
NYC from NJ on a daily basis. The property is about 1/3 of what it use
to be,
it's now cut by the highway. The house is very nice with a lot of
original pieces.

I found it to be very enjoyable visit.

MJ Wallace