Posted to rec.woodworking
jd jd is offline

Default Drum sanders - is velcro paper bad?

hi folks,
as a follow up to my earlier question about woodmaster snaders - A couple of
folks have said that they thought the velcro backing on the paper would be
bad - it would leave knots (or other hard bits) proud of hte rest of the
surface. Has anyone experienced this? Or used a woodmaster and not had this
problem?

thansk
-_JD

Posted to rec.woodworking

Soft backed papers on a drum sander will round over edges. If that
doesn't bother you...

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

I've had a 24" Woodmaster drum sander for around 5 years in my home shop. I
have never had a problem with it rounding over edges or leaving knots proud
of the surface. The hook and loop backing on the paper and drum isn't that
thick. The loops on the back of the paper especially are more like "fuzz".
When rolling new paper onto the drum ther is basicly no give if you are
carefull to get the paper tight when installing (turn the drum with one
hand, pull the paper tight with the other). Of course, I mostly use it for
finish sanding and make light passes.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Jon Jon is offline

I have the 38" one in my shop. Got it on the very cheap from a divorce
forced sale. I have not had a problem with rounding over of the edges. It
works very nice for sanding, the best for finish sanding as stated before.