Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Greene & Greene Lamps design

I am building a pair of small lanterns for my living room and am basing
them on the lamps I have seen in some pictures of the Gamble House and
Thorsen House. Though I am not trying to build reproductions, I would
love to see some more detailed photos or even measured drawings. The
particular lamps I am looking for are the small hanging lamps next to
the fireplace in the Gamble House living rooms and the wall sconces in
the Thorsen House living room. Does anyone know if details on these
pieces are available?

Thanks,
Richard

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am building a pair of small lanterns for my living room and am basing
them on the lamps I have seen in some pictures of the Gamble House and
Thorsen House. Though I am not trying to build reproductions, I would
love to see some more detailed photos or even measured drawings. The
particular lamps I am looking for are the small hanging lamps next to
the fireplace in the Gamble House living rooms and the wall sconces in
the Thorsen House living room. Does anyone know if details on these
pieces are available?

Thanks,
Richard

Not sure if this is any better than what you have already seen:

http://www.gamblehouse.org/_img/phot...ter-LRfire.jpg
http://www.gamblehouse.org/_img/phot...r-LRsconce.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mike" wrote in message

http://www.gamblehouse.org/_img/phot...ter-LRfire.jpg

http://www.gamblehouse.org/_img/phot...r-LRsconce.jpg

Damn, I love that stuff ... just like looking at it almost, but not quite,
scratches a vague, mysterious itch.

Philosophical question/observation:

How does one go from spending the best part of 63 years more interested in
exploring as much of the subtleties of feminine roundness as possible, to
somehow not being able to get enough of just looking at the somehow squared
roundness of the styles of the G&G's, Stickley's' Morris', et al?

My magazine budget, the likes of "American Bungalow", has grown with age

What tricks mother nature plays ... it boggles a puzzled mind.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

How does one go from spending the best part of 63 years more
interested in
exploring as much of the subtleties of feminine roundness as possible,
somehow not being able to get enough of just looking at the somehow
squared
roundness of the styles of the G&G's, Stickley's' Morris', et al?

I have begun to ponder similar such issues. I keep arriving at the
same conclusion (couldn't I possibly be wrong?): aging prostate and
lowered testosterone levels. Is there an opportunity here for some
related stem cell research?

--
"New Wave" (exaggerating only slightly) Dave In Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard wrote:
I am building a pair of small lanterns for my living room and am basing
them on the lamps I have seen in some pictures of the Gamble House and
Thorsen House. Though I am not trying to build reproductions, I would
love to see some more detailed photos or even measured drawings. The
particular lamps I am looking for are the small hanging lamps next to
the fireplace in the Gamble House living rooms and the wall sconces in
the Thorsen House living room. Does anyone know if details on these
pieces are available?

Thanks,
Richard

Consider John Hamm's glass for your sconces -- his work graces the
gorgeous reproduction stained glass in the R.R. Blacker House.

http://www.hammstudios.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 00:43:33 GMT, "New Wave Dave"
wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message

How does one go from spending the best part of 63 years more
interested in
exploring as much of the subtleties of feminine roundness as possible,
somehow not being able to get enough of just looking at the somehow
squared
roundness of the styles of the G&G's, Stickley's' Morris', et al?

I have begun to ponder similar such issues. I keep arriving at the
same conclusion (couldn't I possibly be wrong?): aging prostate and
lowered testosterone levels.

You make getting older sound like so much fun

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George Max" wrote in message

You make getting older sound like so much fun

Did I mention the chronic pain in both shoulders?

--
"New Wave" (no exaggeration) Dave In Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 21, 3:00 pm, "Locutus" wrote:
[snipped for brevity]

http://www.gamblehouse.org/_img/phot...r-LRsconce.jpg

Stunning.... simply stunning.

Anybody wanna buy my tools?

*sigh* That raised the bar a notch.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 02:36:46 GMT, "New Wave Dave"
wrote:

"George Max" wrote in message

You make getting older sound like so much fun

Did I mention the chronic pain in both shoulders?

Wonderful. Something to look forward to. I can't wait.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George Max" wrote in message

"New Wave Dave" wrote:

"George Max" wrote in message

You make getting older sound like so much fun

Did I mention the chronic pain in both shoulders?

Wonderful. Something to look forward to. I can't wait.

Scenario: At some point in your mid to late 40's, give or take a couple of
years, you realize you've been feeling bad and perhaps have some aches/pains
in strategic locations that start you worrying something is really wrong.
After following various medical paths with no clear cut results, what
finally dawns on you (and it might take a couple of years for the
realization to sink in) is that there is really nothing wrong except you're
getting old and the downhill s(l)ide of life has arrived.

If you haven't got there yet, just hang on ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

After these, follow the bouncing ball... and find your way around all
of the projects Greene & Greene ever built/designed.

http://tinyurl.com/y3xy9q
http://tinyurl.com/y4685g
http://tinyurl.com/szp2v
http://tinyurl.com/d6jcy

btw.. they all zoom in real close. Thousands of pictures here.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 06:53:55 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"George Max" wrote in message

"New Wave Dave" wrote:

"George Max" wrote in message

You make getting older sound like so much fun

Did I mention the chronic pain in both shoulders?

Wonderful. Something to look forward to. I can't wait.

Scenario: At some point in your mid to late 40's, give or take a couple of
years, you realize you've been feeling bad and perhaps have some aches/pains
in strategic locations that start you worrying something is really wrong.
After following various medical paths with no clear cut results, what
finally dawns on you (and it might take a couple of years for the
realization to sink in) is that there is really nothing wrong except you're
getting old and the downhill s(l)ide of life has arrived.

If you haven't got there yet, just hang on ...

Thanks. This explains everything. Time for more Advil.