Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router technique for difficult edge

I am trying to finish up my first major furniture project (a tv stand),
and want to ask for your expert advice. I need to route what I guess
you would call the dust skirt of this project. At any rate, it's the
bottom piece of molding just above the feet.

I've picked a profile for this edge based on some sheraton furniture
I've seen in a book. It doesn't match any standard router bit, and I
can't figure out how to route it short of buying a custom profile. I
am sure it can be done with standard bits, but I'm not sure how. the
profile kind of looks like two bullnoses on top of each other, but
offset so that the lower one is wider or further out.

A drawing of the profile I'm looking for can be found in this article
on my blog:

http://users.rcn.com/helloneuman/200...uter-tip.shtml

The closest thing I can guess is to use a router table, make one pass
with the fence right over the bit to do the bottom part, and then lower
the bit height and move the fence out a little to do the top part.

If any of you have ideas, a reply to this post or a comment on the blog
article would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You answered your question with the pictu

You need to "build up" the molding using three
seperate but easy molding to make. That pretty
easy based on what your drawing show.

wrote:

I've picked a profile for this edge based on some sheraton furniture
I've seen in a book. It doesn't match any standard router bit, and I
can't figure out how to route it short of buying a custom profile.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 21, 4:33 pm, Pat Barber wrote:
You answered your question with the pictu

You need to "build up" the molding using three
seperate but easy molding to make. That pretty
easy based on what your drawing show.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but the piece is already designed,
cut, and glued up. The design of this piece calls for milling this
edge on a solid 3/4" piece, so building up with 2 thinner pieces is not
an option.

Other ideas?

router edge guide Patt Woodworking 3 July 18th 06 11:56 PM
Router technique to avoid sniping? jtpr Woodworking 7 January 3rd 06 04:28 PM
Edge-gluing Technique [email protected] Woodworking 2 June 10th 05 03:45 PM
Router table featherboard technique Wayne Whitney Woodworking 6 February 22nd 05 09:14 PM
spiral router bits and router technique Doug Woodworking 6 January 29th 05 03:15 PM