Wayne Whitney

Default Router table featherboard technique

Maybe a newbie question on using featherboards with a router table:
Should featherboards (horizontal or vertical) be located on the infeed
side, the outfeed side, or even aligned with the cutterhead? I'm just
not sure if the "infeed only" rule for tablesaw featherboards carries
over to router tables.

Cheers, Wayne

Joe Wilding

It depends on the cut. If the fence support the work piece before and after
the cut (which is true for most of the cuts I make) then it doesn't really
matter. I ussually put one bofore and one after.

Joe in Denver
my woodworking website:
http://www.the-wildings.com/shop/

"Wayne Whitney" wrote in message
Maybe a newbie question on using featherboards with a router table:
Should featherboards (horizontal or vertical) be located on the infeed
side, the outfeed side, or even aligned with the cutterhead? I'm just
not sure if the "infeed only" rule for tablesaw featherboards carries
over to router tables.

Cheers, Wayne

FriscoSoxFan

The "Infeed Only" rule for tablesaws is to prevent kickback. A
featherboard for a table saw on the outfeed side would force the offcut
back into the blade, causing it to bind and then be launched back at
you. think of the rotation of the blade in slow motion and it makes
sense.

Not a problem for the Y-axis rotation of a router bit. Use
Featherboards wherever feels safe.

Bob G.

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:18:30 -0700, "Joe Wilding"
wrote:

It depends on the cut. If the fence support the work piece before and after
the cut (which is true for most of the cuts I make) then it doesn't really
matter. I ussually put one bofore and one after.

Joe in Denver

Really depends on the cut I am doing....

HOWEVER I normally place the featherbord (the one located on the
table itself just ahead of the bit... to hold the workpiece against
the fence ..The featherborrd that is attached to the fence usually
stradles the bit some before some after...this keeps the workpiece
held down flat...

Bob Griffiths

David

I place mine by the cutter. I don't want the board coming away from the
fence on the outfeed side, as that will reduce depth of cut just as if
the board was held away from the infeed side. I sometimes use another
featherboard over the cutter.

Dave

Wayne Whitney wrote:
Maybe a newbie question on using featherboards with a router table:
Should featherboards (horizontal or vertical) be located on the infeed
side, the outfeed side, or even aligned with the cutterhead? I'm just
not sure if the "infeed only" rule for tablesaw featherboards carries
over to router tables.

Cheers, Wayne

Wayne Whitney

On 2005-02-22, Wayne Whitney wrote:

Maybe a newbie question on using featherboards with a router table:
Should featherboards (horizontal or vertical) be located on the infeed
side, the outfeed side, or even aligned with the cutterhead?

Sounds like the consensus is that for edging or grooving operations
using the fence on a router table, it is safe to use a featherboard
anywhere on the table and anywhere on the fence. Agreed?

Thanks, Wayne

TeamCasa

On 2005-02-22, Wayne Whitney wrote:

Maybe a newbie question on using featherboards with a router table:
Should featherboards (horizontal or vertical) be located on the infeed
side, the outfeed side, or even aligned with the cutterhead?

Sounds like the consensus is that for edging or grooving operations
using the fence on a router table, it is safe to use a featherboard
anywhere on the table and anywhere on the fence. Agreed?

Thanks, Wayne

Safety is only one concern. I setup featherboards, rollers or other devices
to accomplish consistant, accurate cutting and ease of processing the
material.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com