Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tightening the collar on a router bit

I have a router bit with a bearing that goes on the shaft, and a collar that
holds it in place with a little set screw.

The set screw head stripped ( the allen head socket). I replaced it, and
the replacement stripped. Am I doing something wrong, or what? I can't get
it tight enough to use.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Mon, Nov 20, 2006, 6:17pm (EST+5) (Toller)
snip Am I doing something wrong snip

Mind you, this is just a WAG on my part, but I'd say YES.

JOAT
Democratic justice. One man, one rock.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
I have a router bit with a bearing that goes on the shaft, and a

collar that
holds it in place with a little set screw.

The set screw head stripped ( the allen head socket). I replaced

it, and
the replacement stripped. Am I doing something wrong, or what? I

can't get
it tight enough to use.

Use some Loctite, then bring screw up just snug.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
I have a router bit with a bearing that goes on the shaft, and a collar that
holds it in place with a little set screw.

The set screw head stripped ( the allen head socket). I replaced it, and
the replacement stripped. Am I doing something wrong, or what? I can't get
it tight enough to use.

You have to torque them to German specs.

Guedantite [good an tight] N. - A fastener that has been torqued to the
point of stripping then backed off a quarter turn.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
Mon, Nov 20, 2006, 6:17pm (EST+5) (Toller)
snip Am I doing something wrong snip

Mind you, this is just a WAG on my part, but I'd say YES.

Well that sure was helpful...

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a router bit with a bearing that goes on the shaft, and a collar that
holds it in place with a little set screw.

The set screw head stripped ( the allen head socket). I replaced it, and
the replacement stripped. Am I doing something wrong, or what? I can't get
it tight enough to use.

The only job of that collar and set screw is to keep the bearing from
sliding down the shaft. If you're sure you won't need to use the bit
without the bearing, just apply some Locktite Stud & Bearing adhesive
to glue the bearing to the shaft. Then you can go without the collar
if you want.

DonkeyHody
"Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas
Carlyle

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
I have a router bit with a bearing that goes on the shaft, and a collar
that holds it in place with a little set screw.

The set screw head stripped ( the allen head socket). I replaced it, and
the replacement stripped. Am I doing something wrong, or what? I can't
get it tight enough to use.

..
ARE you using the correct sized Allen wrench? That will happen if you are
using metric instead of SAE and visa versa.

Posted to rec.woodworking

As a guess, I'd say the allen head socket is a metric size and you're using
a standard allen wrench which won't fit correctly. Take the bit (with screw)
to a tool store (maybe auto parts) and see if you can find the proper size
allen wrench.

"Toller" wrote in message
I have a router bit with a bearing that goes on the shaft, and a collar
that holds it in place with a little set screw.

The set screw head stripped ( the allen head socket). I replaced it, and
the replacement stripped. Am I doing something wrong, or what? I can't
get it tight enough to use.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

As others have said, make sure you have the right size wrench. The most
common cause of a screw coming loose is that it was never tightened
sufficiently in the first place. Lctite is just glue. If the screw is loose,
Loctite will do nothing but glue it in a permanently loose condition. There
is a lot of friction between threads when tightening a screw. So much so
that the threads will seize before the bolt is really tight. A good thread
lube will eliminate the seizing problem. Antiseize will allow you to get the
screw tight and it will stay that way. A bit counterintuitive but it works.
I have been using this in extreme industrial situations for years with
excellent results.

"Toller" wrote in message
I have a router bit with a bearing that goes on the shaft, and a collar

that
holds it in place with a little set screw.

The set screw head stripped ( the allen head socket). I replaced it, and
the replacement stripped. Am I doing something wrong, or what? I can't

get
it tight enough to use.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 18:17:44 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

The set screw head stripped ( the allen head socket). I replaced it, and
the replacement stripped. Am I doing something wrong, or what? I can't get
it tight enough to use.

You might check to be sure your using the correct allen wrench. Some
of the bearings are held on with metric sized allen screws.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

The only job of that collar and set screw is to keep the bearing from
sliding down the shaft. If you're sure you won't need to use the bit
without the bearing, just apply some Locktite Stud & Bearing adhesive
to glue the bearing to the shaft. Then you can go without the collar
if you want.

Can you ever get it off again?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

.
ARE you using the correct sized Allen wrench? That will happen if you are
using metric instead of SAE and visa versa.

The bearing came with a wrench. Also, I have a set of metric and SAE and on
the second one I used the one that fit best, but it stripped also. Cheap
wrenches?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Toller" wrote:

The only job of that collar and set screw is to keep the bearing from
sliding down the shaft. If you're sure you won't need to use the bit
without the bearing, just apply some Locktite Stud & Bearing adhesive
to glue the bearing to the shaft. Then you can go without the collar
if you want.

Can you ever get it off again?

Depends on the grade of Loctite you use -- some are designed for disassembly,
others are not. Blue Loctite can be undone without much trouble.

--
Regards,