Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Craftsman 10" T-Saw.... Back on line --- Slightly improved

Hello,

Had to part with my Delta 10" tablesaw... When I got it to babysit I
was really hoping it would be for the long haul, but alas it wasn't
meant to be... Oh well... we make do.

When I realized I was faced with reassembling my Craftsman 10", I
thought...may as well make some improvements. The tune up suggestions
on the Woodbutcher's Site were a great place to start!!!

These are the improvements I've done (some from the Woodbutcher's site
some my own) and some that I'm planning on doing in the very near
future...

-- Added 12 bolts (had to bore holes for these) to secure the body
housing sheet metal to the leg assembly to stiffen up the frame (8
1/4"x1/2" bolts to secure the side panels to the legs and added one
3/8" x 1/2" bolt to each corner)
-- Added a plate with a dust collection port to the bottom of the saw,
this plate also helped stiffen the frame (attached a toilet flange as
my outlet on the bottom -- It was on hand and it works)
-- Added 1/2" (they're 7" wide and span the legs) plywood panels
around the top of the leg assembly this was to prevent them from
splaying out and wobbling
-- Added 4 2" x 1/8" steel bands around the bottom of the legs to
stiffen them up and prevent them from turning
-- One of the biggest additions - I ditched the old fence and have
installed a new Align-a-rip 24/24 fence. WOW, I realize it's not an
Incra, but compared to the original fence it's wonderful. I was going
to align it to be 12/36 but didn't have the room so it's still 24/24

Yet to be dones ----

-- Installing a link belt
-- I'll be adding an overhead blade guard - I have parts cut out of
3/8" Lexan they just need to be assembled for the guard, then I'll need
to do the armature for the overhead assembly. (this one should be done
inside a week or so)
-- I also want to close in the back of the saw to improve dust
collection -- (I'm looking for suggestion on what the best way to close
it in btw.)

I've posted some pics of the saw he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7176102...7594384387020/

Can someone please tell me how to get an actual hyper link to show up?
You'll have to take that address and copy it into your browser...

I'll add new photo's as I make changes...

And trust me I understand that Craftsman ain't Delta, Jet, or Saw-Stop
(had to add that last one)... I've spent maybe $50 total on all the
changes and I fully intend on upgrading to a better saw eventually,
right now this is the one I have and it's doing pretty well....

Just thought I'd share... Have a great Holiday!!!