Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Steel City Model 35601

SWMBO sez that I can get a "decent" Table saw. Must be the season or
something. Anyway I am looking pretty seriously at the 10" saw from
Steel City. It seems to be the smallest model they have and I think
that it would suite me just fine for my needs. Has anyone any
experience with this model? Purchased, seen in use, etc. Any help,
advise will be appreciated.

A. Ryall

Posted to rec.woodworking

No Sweat wrote:

SWMBO sez that I can get a "decent" Table saw.

Concentrate on the fence and the saw will take care of itself.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"I am looking pretty seriously at the 10" saw from
Steel City. It seems to be the smallest model they have and I think
that it would suite me just fine for my needs. Has anyone any
experience with this model?"

I recently purchased the 3HP version of the Steel City saw. The 1.75HP
version was $899 and the 3 HP model was $999. Both are good values. The
saw is basically the ORION saw sold by Sears under their name but with
a powder painted base and a fence that resembles the Grizzly Shop Fox
model. Steel City is a really honest outfit to deal with. When these
saws had quality control issues with extension table alignment they
replaced them immediately through their dealers (mine was perfect when
it arrived). However my saw had a slightly warped fence (which I later
found out to be a reversal of the fence faces when installed by
manufacturer). I made one 15 minute call to Steel City customer support
and had a replacement fence in less than 5 days. The saw is shipped in
a welded steel cage bolted to the pallet and arrived in perfect
condition. The fit and finish of the saw is very good and, after using
a Sears contractor saw for many years, it's nice to have a saw with a
3HP motor. The saw passes the nickel test easily. I am happy I chose
the Steel City version of this saw. You are fortunate to have so many
good choices at this time. The Grizzly cabinet saw, the Delta, Jet, &
DeWalt Hybrids and of course the Sears will all make lots of sawdust
for you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...

| "I am looking pretty seriously at the 10" saw from
| Steel City. It seems to be the smallest model they have and I think
| that it would suite me just fine for my needs. Has anyone any
| experience with this model?"
|
| I recently purchased the 3HP version of the Steel City saw. ...

Thanks rmeyer
I appreciate the info. Going wait a couple of days to see if any one
else has anything to add, then probable go for it.
A. Ryall

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

3HP motor. The saw passes the nickel test easily. I am happy I chose

The term is new to me. What is "the nickel test"?

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

The Popular Woodworking E-Newsletter, dated October 16, 2006 had an in
depth review of the arrival, uncrating, assembly and use of the very
saw. The E-Newsletter has a link for a online blog for the continuing
learning curve on this machine.

No Sweat wrote:
SWMBO sez that I can get a "decent" Table saw. Must be the season or
something. Anyway I am looking pretty seriously at the 10" saw from
Steel City. It seems to be the smallest model they have and I think
that it would suite me just fine for my needs. Has anyone any
experience with this model? Purchased, seen in use, etc. Any help,
advise will be appreciated.

A. Ryall

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sorry, forgot to post the url for Popular Woodworking's Blog site and
the direct reference to the Steel City Model 35601 saw.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/bl...eed9851a6.aspx

No Sweat wrote:
SWMBO sez that I can get a "decent" Table saw. Must be the season or
something. Anyway I am looking pretty seriously at the 10" saw from
Steel City. It seems to be the smallest model they have and I think
that it would suite me just fine for my needs. Has anyone any
experience with this model? Purchased, seen in use, etc. Any help,
advise will be appreciated.

A. Ryall

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Half a dime test.

"Bill in Detroit" wrote in message

3HP motor. The saw passes the nickel test easily. I am happy I chose

The term is new to me. What is "the nickel test"?

Bill

anyone know of anyone that's actually used a Steel City Toolworksbandsaw? Chris Friesen Woodworking 7 November 21st 06 10:42 PM
My new Steel City Saw vs. KingKong Bob Woodworking 5 September 21st 06 03:22 PM
Steel City Tablesaw Bob Woodworking 0 August 25th 06 10:19 PM
Steel City Toolworks? Mark & Juanita Woodworking 5 August 19th 06 05:29 AM
City & Guilds course outofthewoods Woodturning 0 August 5th 05 11:35 PM