Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Modify pantry type cabinet

I need a pantry type cabinet that is only 12" deep for some extra
storage. Lowes has a REI Estate Storage cabinet that is perfect except
it is 16 3/4 deep. Is it possible to cut the panels, top and bottom to
12"? I could then drill holes for the shelf supports. I am wondering
if its possible to do this and still have it be stable.

http://estatestorage.com/products_detail.asp?id=22

On another note, my fridge cabinet is 12" deep and needs to be 25" deep
to make it look more built in. Its made as part of a unit with two
other wall cabinets...not three cabinets screwed together, but one
custom cabinet. Could I cut the fridge part out, then asseble it with
plywood end panels that are 25" deep and hang the doors on the front?
I need to reuse the doors so they match. ANy ideas?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks so much for your response. I am going to give this a shot with
the pantry type cabinet and then also with the fridge cabinet. If it
doesn't work I was planning to order a new fridge cabinet, but at $750,
I thought I would try to reuse what I have. Luckily my cabinets are
painted and I have the paint, so the sides should be able to be
finished to match.

Thanks again!

Mike O. wrote:
On 19 Nov 2006 18:54:14 -0800, wrote:

I need a pantry type cabinet that is only 12" deep for some extra
storage. Lowes has a REI Estate Storage cabinet that is perfect except
it is 16 3/4 deep. Is it possible to cut the panels, top and bottom to
12"? I could then drill holes for the shelf supports. I am wondering
if its possible to do this and still have it be stable.

You should be able to cut the cabinet for depth and either re-use the
back or just fasten a new back. Depending on how the cabinet is built
(ie particle board) you may have to add some blocking to help hold the
back on.

another note, my fridge cabinet is 12" deep and needs to be 25" deep
to make it look more built in. Its made as part of a unit with two
other wall cabinets...not three cabinets screwed together, but one
custom cabinet. Could I cut the fridge part out, then asseble it with
plywood end panels that are 25" deep and hang the doors on the front?
I need to reuse the doors so they match. ANy ideas?

I think this could be done. It would be more difficult and again,
success might depend on how the cabinet is constructed. Also remember
that new side(s) of the refrigerator cabinet will need to be finished
to match.

Mike O.