Posted to rec.woodworking

Default TS balse question

I have an Oldham Signature combination blade on my TS. It cuts crosscuts
just fine. The problem I am concerned with is that when I rip an Oak board I
get a pitch type buildup on the right side of the blade only. I usually take
the blade off and clean it with EasyOff oven cleaner and it does a good job
of cleaning it. I then reinstall the blade and rip again and when I do I
get an immediate buildup on the right side of the blade again. My Oak has
been dried for 3 or more years and is not newly cut or damp.
The question I have is do any of you know of a combination blade that has a
coating on it (Teflon or something else) than prevents buildup from
occurring that I can purchase? Thanks for your help.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Dave" wrote:
I have an Oldham Signature combination blade on my TS. It cuts crosscuts
just fine. The problem I am concerned with is that when I rip an Oak board I
get a pitch type buildup on the right side of the blade only.

You got a lot of answers the first time you posted this. Didn't you like any
of them? :-)

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message
I have an Oldham Signature combination blade on my TS. It cuts crosscuts
just fine. The problem I am concerned with is that when I rip an Oak board
get a pitch type buildup on the right side of the blade only. I usually
take
the blade off and clean it with EasyOff oven cleaner and it does a good
job
of cleaning it. I then reinstall the blade and rip again and when I do I
get an immediate buildup on the right side of the blade again. My Oak has
been dried for 3 or more years and is not newly cut or damp.
The question I have is do any of you know of a combination blade that has
coating on it (Teflon or something else) than prevents buildup from
occurring that I can purchase? Thanks for your help.

What the hell kinda oak are you cutting? I have never had anything like you
describe. I think you must be an idiot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default TS balde question

Doug,
The reason I reposted is that my post did not show up when I accessed this
NG. Neither did any of the replies to the post show up. I don't know what
caused it so I reposted again and then it finally showed up. Maybe my ISP
is at fault.
As to my problem maybe it wasn't a pitch build up, but a build up from
burning when I fed the stock through. I tried feeding at different speeds,
but it still happens. I don't think it is caused by a dull blade.
Thank you to all for your replies that I never got to see.
Toller it takes one to know one!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Me Me is offline

Dave wrote:
I have an Oldham Signature combination blade on my TS. It cuts crosscuts
just fine. The problem I am concerned with is that when I rip an Oak board I
get a pitch type buildup on the right side of the blade only. I usually take
the blade off and clean it with EasyOff oven cleaner and it does a good job
of cleaning it. I then reinstall the blade and rip again and when I do I
get an immediate buildup on the right side of the blade again. My Oak has
been dried for 3 or more years and is not newly cut or damp.
The question I have is do any of you know of a combination blade that has a
coating on it (Teflon or something else) than prevents buildup from
occurring that I can purchase? Thanks for your help.

Dave try a freud blade they have a coating on them .F

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Dave" wrote:
Doug,
The reason I reposted is that my post did not show up when I accessed this
NG. Neither did any of the replies to the post show up. I don't know what
caused it so I reposted again and then it finally showed up. Maybe my ISP
is at fault.
As to my problem maybe it wasn't a pitch build up, but a build up from
burning when I fed the stock through.

Well, if the stock is burning, you have a problem somewhere...

I tried feeding at different speeds,
but it still happens. I don't think it is caused by a dull blade.
Thank you to all for your replies that I never got to see.

They should be available in Google. If not, email me -- they're still
available on the newsserver I use, and I can download them and email them to
you. (My real email address is in the sig line of this post.)

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 09:40:45 -0600, "Dave" wrote:

As to my problem maybe it wasn't a pitch build up, but a build up from
burning when I fed the stock through. I tried feeding at different speeds,
but it still happens. I don't think it is caused by a dull blade.
Thank you to all for your replies that I never got to see.
Toller it takes one to know one!

If you are happy with how that blade makes crosscuts, you might
consider another blade that is better suited for ripping. I've used
combination blades too but have yet to find one that will perform both
operations as well as a blade designed for the specific type of cut.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Len Len is offline

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

If the fence is on the right side of the blade it sounds more
like a rip fence alignment problem than a problem with the blade.
Double check to make sure the end of the fence isn't closer to
the blade than the front.

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Len" wrote in message
. ..

If the fence is on the right side of the blade it sounds more
like a rip fence alignment problem than a problem with the blade.
Double check to make sure the end of the fence isn't closer to
the blade than the front.

Len

Thanks Len. That makes sense. Awhile back I had trouble with stock binding.
I will check it out and see if it is.
I have a Grizzly G0444Z with a ShopFox fence that is a Beis clone.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 20:43:08 -0600, "Dave" wrote:

I have an Oldham Signature combination blade on my TS. It cuts crosscuts
just fine. The problem I am concerned with is that when I rip an Oak board I
get a pitch type buildup on the right side of the blade only. I usually take
the blade off and clean it with EasyOff oven cleaner and it does a good job
of cleaning it. I then reinstall the blade and rip again and when I do I
get an immediate buildup on the right side of the blade again. My Oak has
been dried for 3 or more years and is not newly cut or damp.
The question I have is do any of you know of a combination blade that has a
coating on it (Teflon or something else) than prevents buildup from
occurring that I can purchase? Thanks for your help.

Hey Dave,

How many teeth does that Oldham have?

I ask because when I was starting out, I got it into my head somehow
that more teeth = better cut. So most of my blades were 80 tooth
monsters that crosscut like champs, and did a very nice job on
plywood. But they burned the wood when ripping certain stock. Took a
lot of fiddling around double-checking the alignment of the saw before
I finally got it through my head that a good 32 or 40-tooth blade
would do a better and faster job on the rip cuts. I'm sure I've got
another eye-opener coming some time in the future, when I finally get
the money and inclination to purchase some dedicated rip and crosscut
blades.

Went through the same process with the bandsaw when I got one for wood
instead of metal. If you haven't tried resawing maple with a
underpowered bandsaw sporting a 14tpi blade- don't! Sometimes I'm
just too damn thick-headed for my own good.

Just a thought, in case the other suggestions don't solve the problem.

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM