Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Vac for temporary Dust Collection....adapters?

Hiya Folks,
I've just gotten the gar...er shop cleaned up and need to build a few
things. I haven't gotten my cyclone dust collector built yet so in the
meantime, I was planning to just use my 2 1/2" diameter hose from my shopvac
to at least get the majority of the sawdust. I don't see any adapters that
go from 2 1/2" to 4" (dust ports on my tools). Are they available and I've
just not found them or is there another recommended way of doing this?
This is a temporary situation so I don't want to get too fancy with the
solution but thought there might be a simple adapter out there to use.
I've checked CPVC, PVC, ABS, etc.. pipe and they don't really fit very well.
Thanks for the inputs.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
. ..
Hiya Folks,
I've just gotten the gar...er shop cleaned up and need to build a few
things. I haven't gotten my cyclone dust collector built yet so in the
meantime, I was planning to just use my 2 1/2" diameter hose from my
shopvac to at least get the majority of the sawdust. I don't see any
adapters that go from 2 1/2" to 4" (dust ports on my tools). Are they
available and I've just not found them or is there another recommended way
of doing this? This is a temporary situation so I don't want to get too
fancy with the solution but thought there might be a simple adapter out
there to use. I've checked CPVC, PVC, ABS, etc.. pipe and they don't
really fit very well. Thanks for the inputs.
Cheers,
cc

Just as I hit send, I thought of Grizzly. Sure enough they have this:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/h2443

I think that'll work for me!

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Woodcraft and Rockler have the adapters too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have been using my old Shop Vac to suck dust from some of my tools for a
few years. Works great with my oscillating spindle sander and benchtop
belt/disk sander. Not so well with the band saw but I think that is mostly
the bandsaw's problem.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Tue, Oct 31, 2006, 10:21am (EST-2) lid
(James*"Cubby"*Culbertson) doth peer around and say:
snip* I don't see any adapters that go from 2 1/2" to 4" (dust ports
on my tools) snip

Temporary? I've got one word for you. Duct tape.

JOAT
If it can't kill you, it ain't a sport.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
Tue, Oct 31, 2006, 10:21am (EST-2) lid
(James "Cubby" Culbertson) doth peer around and say:
snip I don't see any adapters that go from 2 1/2" to 4" (dust ports
on my tools) snip

Temporary? I've got one word for you. Duct tape.

But that's two words...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Ron is offline

[...]

I've been doing the same for about a year now, mostly for my Delta planer,
with good
results.

The biggest drawback of a shopvac (besides the noise) is that the filter can
clog rather quickly,
therefore, I'd recommend the following....

Get a dust 'separator' which goes on a 30 gallon metal garbage can with two
4" ports, such as this..
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1515

Alos, some 4" hose and a hose reducer (4" to 2-1/2) like this..
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16965

I duct taped the reducer to one of the 4" ports on the dust separator and
attach the shop-vacs hose to it.

Connect a 4" hose to the other port and attach it to the tool of your
choice.

One Saturday recently, I decided to plane a lot of rough stock I had (ROak,
WOak, Poplar and Cherry).
I filled my 30 gallon twice that day but the shop vac was still basically
empty. Some of the finer dust did make
it too the filter, but, over 95% of the shavings stayed in the metal garbage
can.

HTH,

Ron

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ron" ronaldjangelATcomcastDOTnet wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Thanks Ron. I hadn't planned to get that "elaborate" but given "temporary"
tends to be a while for me, this sure seems like a good way to go actually.
I think I'll do it!
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Ron is offline

[...]

One thing I forgot to mention was, when you do get a regular dust collector,
as I hope to do soon as well, keep the dust separator and connect the 4"
hose
from the DC to the dust separator lid, after removing the 4 to 2-1/2"
adapter.

This was you'd fill you DC bag(s) less often and then whit just the finer
stuff.

Ron

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ron wrote:

One thing I forgot to mention was, when you do get a regular dust collector,
as I hope to do soon as well, keep the dust separator and connect the 4"
hose
from the DC to the dust separator lid, after removing the 4 to 2-1/2"
adapter.

This only works up to a certain point, then the dust collector just
sucks the separator bin empty. Apparently this happens right around the
point that you're flowing enough air to get the really dangerous dust.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ron" ronaldjangelATcomcastDOTnet wrote in message
. ..

One thing I forgot to mention was, when you do get a regular dust
collector,
as I hope to do soon as well, keep the dust separator and connect the 4"
hose
from the DC to the dust separator lid, after removing the 4 to 2-1/2"
adapter.

This was you'd fill you DC bag(s) less often and then whit just the finer
stuff.

Ron

I'll do that but don't think it'll work with my setup. I'm building an
airfoil cyclone and I suspect it'll have enough suction that'll it'll pull
everything out of the can, at least I hope so . Time will tell though.
Thanks again for the ideas. I had completely forgotten about the
separator's etc...
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ron ronaldjangelATcomcastDOTnet wrote:

Get a dust 'separator' which goes on a 30 gallon metal garbage . . .

I'll second the bit about a *metal* garbage can. I made one of
these 2nd stage collectors recently out of a plastic garbage can.
I've never had a DC or a made one of these collectors before, so
after I got everything together and connected I noticed the plastic
garbage can would start to pucker after a little while. Opps. I was
able to work around this a bit by cutting out a ring of plywood
and sticking that inside the plastic can. Now, for the most part
it doesn't pucker too much, but if I use it with my router table
the lid[1] will colapse sometimes. Oh well, I'll just use it until
it cracks and then I'll do it right with a metal can.

[1]: I didn't buy one of those pre-made "cyclone" lids, but used the
lid that came with the plastic garbage can and stuck 4" dust ports on
it.

remove ".invalid".