Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router --- if you had $500 to spend?

I currently have a big honking Ryobi mounted under a router table. Now I want a
second one for handheld work, dovetail jig work, etc.

I have a 'windfall' check for $500 burning a hole in my pocket, so cost
shouldn't be an issue.

Hans
--
Homepage:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~k0hb

Posted to rec.woodworking

KØHB wrote:
I currently have a big honking Ryobi mounted under a router table. Now I want a
second one for handheld work, dovetail jig work, etc.

I have a 'windfall' check for $500 burning a hole in my pocket, so cost
shouldn't be an issue.

Hans

Hans, $500 is too much to be spending on a handheld router. there are a
bunch of offerings in the 1 to 2 hp class for under $200. you'll get a
lot of opinions here about what is good, but nothing beats a hands-on
test drive. go to the tool store and fondle a few, and if you have a
friend or two who will let you try out theirs do that too.

I'm quite happy with my porter cable 690 routers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 00:46:49 GMT, "KØHB" wrote:

I currently have a big honking Ryobi mounted under a router table. Now I want a
second one for handheld work, dovetail jig work, etc.

I have a 'windfall' check for $500 burning a hole in my pocket, so cost
shouldn't be an issue.

Hans

I love my Dewalt 621. And for $500 you could buy two of them and still have
enough left to buy a good supply of bits.

To reply by e-mail, use jcarlson631 at yahoo dot com

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hitachi or Bosch. Every router guru says one or the other. October Fine
Woodworking has an article from said router guru and the article shows
two pics where you can see hos routers and they are Hitach and Bosch.

BW

KØHB wrote:
I currently have a big honking Ryobi mounted under a router table. Now I want a
second one for handheld work, dovetail jig work, etc.

I have a 'windfall' check for $500 burning a hole in my pocket, so cost
shouldn't be an issue.

Hans
--
Homepage:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~k0hb
Member:
ARRL http://www.arrl.org
SOC http://www.qsl.net/soc
VWOA http://www.vwoa.org
A-1 Operator Club http://www.arrl.org/awards/a1-op/
TCDXA http://www.tcdxa.org
MWA http://www.w0aa.org
TCFMC http://www.tcfmc.org
FISTS http://www.fists.org
LVDXA http://www.upstel.net/borken/lvdxa.htm
NCI http://www.nocode.org

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "KØHB" wrote:
I currently have a big honking Ryobi mounted under a router table. Now I want
second one for handheld work, dovetail jig work, etc.

I have a 'windfall' check for $500 burning a hole in my pocket, so cost
shouldn't be an issue.

I have a Bosch 1617EVS and a DeWalt 618. Very happy with them both. And
neither one will cost you anywhere near $500.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"KØHB" wrote in message
et...
I currently have a big honking Ryobi mounted under a router table. Now I
want a second one for handheld work, dovetail jig work, etc.

I have a 'windfall' check for $500 burning a hole in my pocket, so cost
shouldn't be an issue.

Hans
--
Homepage:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~k0hb

My DeWalt 618 3BK (three bases) is the bees knees.

Posted to rec.woodworking

My DeWalt 618 3BK (three bases) is the bees knees.

I couldn't agree more (even though I only have 2 bases), and it sounds
like Pat Warner agrees also. Strongly recommend you check out his
website for lots of router info - patwarner.com.
One thing you might consider for smaller handheld routing jobs is a
small router/trimmer - the Bosch Colt is supposed to be one of the
better ones.
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PR20EVSK...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi
or http://tinyurl.com/yb46tt
I recently picked up a Porter Cable 7310, and it's nice for little
cleanup jobs, roundovers, etc.
If I had $500 and needed some new routers, I'd get a reconditioned
Dewalt 618pk or 621 ($200), a nice trim router ($100), and spend the
extra on one of the new Makita Compact Litihium Ion drills ($200)
because they seem very cool (18V at 3.5lbs?! - the new black and white
one, not the older turquoise one). If you don't have a decent jigsaw,
get a Bosch 1590/91 instead of the drill.
Have fun,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I currently have a big honking Ryobi mounted under a router table. Now I want a
second one for handheld work, dovetail jig work, etc.

I have a 'windfall' check for $500 burning a hole in my pocket, so cost
shouldn't be an issue.

Others will have their favorites, but I really, really like my Porter
Cable 690 with the D-handle base. It's not adjustable speed, but it's
a heck of a nice router- and it'll leave you with half that check left
over to buy some wood to try it out on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

KØHB wrote:
I currently have a big honking Ryobi mounted under a router table. Now I want a
second one for handheld work, dovetail jig work, etc.

I have a 'windfall' check for $500 burning a hole in my pocket, so cost
shouldn't be an issue.

For handheld work, I think this is the deal of the century:

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/693lrd.htm?L+coastest+lyrg7078ffbc41bc+1162305092

I also own a bunch of Bosch 1617 variations, but the 690's don't corrode
as my Bosch cases have.

Posted to rec.woodworking

One tool for most hand held occasions?
See the http://patwarner.com/dw621.html link.
************************************************** *******************************
KØHB wrote:
I currently have a big honking Ryobi mounted under a router table. Now I want a
second one for handheld work, dovetail jig work, etc.

I have a 'windfall' check for $500 burning a hole in my pocket, so cost
shouldn't be an issue.

Hans
--
Homepage:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~k0hb
Member:
ARRL http://www.arrl.org
SOC http://www.qsl.net/soc
VWOA http://www.vwoa.org
A-1 Operator Club http://www.arrl.org/awards/a1-op/
TCDXA http://www.tcdxa.org
MWA http://www.w0aa.org
TCFMC http://www.tcfmc.org
FISTS http://www.fists.org
LVDXA http://www.upstel.net/borken/lvdxa.htm
NCI http://www.nocode.org

Posted to rec.woodworking

KØHB wrote:
I currently have a big honking Ryobi mounted under a router table. Now I want a
second one for handheld work, dovetail jig work, etc.

I have a porter cable 690. I like their D-handles. I also have the
dewalt 621 with a D handle. I like that one too. I also have the PC
7518 in the router table which is great. For a trim router I have the
bosch colt, also great.

Are you ok with the ryobi in the table? I only have one ryobi router
and it's utter junk. Yours is probably better. For $500 you could get
a nice hand-held, plus another router for the table and a router lift.

Does amazon still have that hitachi router on sale?

Or a PC 690 and a leigh d4r. :-)

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

"brianlanning" wrote in message
ups.com...

Are you ok with the ryobi in the table?

It's an old RE600, which is large and clunky for handheld work and a PITA to
mount/dismount from the table, but great torque for turning large bits, and
virtually zero runout on the spindle. It's perfect to just leave under the
table.

Hans

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

One tool for most hand held occasions?
See the
http://patwarner.com/dw621.html link.

I second the motion!

The Dewalt 621 plunge router is light, has soft sart, variable speed,
one wrench and a shaft lock for bit changes, dust extraction through
one of the plunge columns, plunge lock on one handle, on/off lockable
trigger on the other, smoooooooth plunge action, fine depth of cut
adjustment - AND it's BRIGHT YELLOW so it's easy to find in the
clutter. Add Mr. Warner's offset base and you overcome the DW621's
only shortcoming - a small base. Oh - it's also a bit quieter than
the
PC routers. And did I mention that in spite of being pretty light,
it's
a 2 hp?

I've got TWO DW621s, one DW 625, a PC D-handle and a PC 690. The
PCs have semi-premanent bits in them - one for 1/4" roundover and
one for 45 chamfering.

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking

I ended up buying a DeWalt 618 (with 3 bases).

Really wanted the Bosch 1617, but it doesn't accept standard (PC) bushing
guides. What a shame.

Hans

"KØHB" wrote in message
et...
I currently have a big honking Ryobi mounted under a router table. Now I want
a second one for handheld work, dovetail jig work, etc.

I have a 'windfall' check for $500 burning a hole in my pocket, so cost
shouldn't be an issue.

Hans
--
Homepage:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~k0hb
Member:
ARRL http://www.arrl.org
SOC http://www.qsl.net/soc
VWOA http://www.vwoa.org
A-1 Operator Club http://www.arrl.org/awards/a1-op/
TCDXA http://www.tcdxa.org
MWA http://www.w0aa.org
TCFMC http://www.tcfmc.org
FISTS http://www.fists.org
LVDXA http://www.upstel.net/borken/lvdxa.htm
NCI http://www.nocode.org

Posted to rec.woodworking

KØHB wrote:
I ended up buying a DeWalt 618 (with 3 bases).

Really wanted the Bosch 1617, but it doesn't accept standard (PC) bushing
guides. What a shame.

Don't let that stop you. Pat Warner could probably fix you up:

http://www.patwarner.com/pr20_subbase.html

I know this is a different router. But I bet he'd drill a new one to
fit whatever router you wanted. And if he wouldn't, it's not that big
a deal to do it yourself.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I currently have a big honking Ryobi mounted under a router table. Now I want a
second one for handheld work, dovetail jig work, etc.

I have a 'windfall' check for $500 burning a hole in my pocket, so cost
shouldn't be an issue.

Hans! What are you doing here on the wreck?

I used to post now and then on r.r.a.m. before the idiots took over. I
don't know that you'd remember me. I'm a long time regular here,
though. Just don't ever recall seeing your scrawl before.

K4QG

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"LRod" wrote in message

Hans! What are you doing here on the wreck?

I lurk a lot, mostly on fishing groups in the summer, then woodworking after I
stow my boat for the winter. rram, rrap, etc., are now vast wastelands
inhabited by inbred trolls.

73, Hans, K0HB

Posted to rec.woodworking

KØHB wrote:
I ended up buying a DeWalt 618 (with 3 bases).

Really wanted the Bosch 1617, but it doesn't accept standard (PC) bushing
guides. What a shame.

It does with Bosch's $7 adaptor. G

http://www.amazon.com/Tool-free-Templet-Adapter-Competitor-Guides/dp/B000APLDUG

Posted to rec.woodworking

KØHB wrote:
I ended up buying a DeWalt 618 (with 3 bases).

Is the 618 really $80 better than the 3 base PC690 kit?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message

Is the 618 really $80 better than the 3 base PC690 kit?

I don't know. All the PC690-series kits I saw were lower HP, 2-bases, and
single speed. Maybe a better comparison would be the PC890-series.

Regards,

Hans

Posted to rec.woodworking

KØHB wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote in message

Is the 618 really $80 better than the 3 base PC690 kit?

I don't know. All the PC690-series kits I saw were lower HP, 2-bases, and
single speed.

I posted a link to a $179 (3) base 690 kit two days ago in this very
thread. G

I'm not trying to break 'em off on you. I don't have any experience with
the 618, so I was curious. However, I can't tell the difference between
my 2 1/4 HP routers and my 1 1/2 HP 690's in handheld use.

Variable speed is one difference I hadn't noticed, but I use that a lot
more on the bigger routers in tables than I do for handheld operations.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
. net...
KØHB wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote in message

Is the 618 really $80 better than the 3 base PC690 kit?

I don't know. All the PC690-series kits I saw were lower HP, 2-bases, and
single speed.

I posted a link to a $179 (3) base 690 kit two days ago in this very thread.

I'm not trying to break 'em off on you. I don't have any experience with the
618, so I was curious. However, I can't tell the difference between my 2 1/4
HP routers and my 1 1/2 HP 690's in handheld use.

Variable speed is one difference I hadn't noticed, but I use that a lot more
on the bigger routers in tables than I do for handheld operations.

To be honest, I wasn't shopping for price (this time). No question I could have
found something cheaper on the internet.

Regards,

Hans

Posted to rec.woodworking

"KØHB" wrote in
.net:

"B A R R Y" wrote in message

Is the 618 really $80 better than the 3 base PC690 kit?

I don't know. All the PC690-series kits I saw were lower HP, 2-bases,
and single speed. Maybe a better comparison would be the
PC890-series.

Regards,

Hans

If the 690-series had a series wide recall, then it has been a good number
of years. The 690-series is built like a truck. The 890-series, not quite
so much so.

No personal experience with the DeWalt routers, although there are a _lot_
of other yellow plastic bodied tools in my shop...

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

Patriarch wrote:

If the 690-series had a series wide recall, then it has been a good number
of years. The 690-series is built like a truck. The 890-series, not quite
so much so.

No personal experience with the DeWalt routers, although there are a _lot_
of other yellow plastic bodied tools in my shop...

Same here, I love yellow cordless drills and my plate joiner! I have no
experience with yellow routers, so I was hoping someone I could go back
and forth with had done a hands-on head to head.

In my eyes, the best thing to ever happen to the 690 is the 890. The
890 drove the price down on the 690 series. G

I've got (9) routers now, a combination of 1617's, 690's and a Bosch
laminate trimmer, and an M12.