Posted to rec.woodworking

Default edge gluing 3/8 stock ?

I am making ceiling panels ( 42 1/2L x 23W ) out of 3/8 thick x 2 1/2 wide
alder wood. My first 'test' panel worked fine and I used biscuits about
9" apart.

My question is...if I eliminate the biscuits (time savings) and just edge
glue the 3/8" stock using stabdard bar clamps...will I have any type of
separation problems down the road ?

For this application..it's fine if there is a slight unevenness to the
joints here and there...using knotty/rustic alder and want a kind of rustic
effect in the room

Thanks, TR

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "TimR" wrote:
I am making ceiling panels ( 42 1/2L x 23W ) out of 3/8 thick x 2 1/2 wide
alder wood. My first 'test' panel worked fine and I used biscuits about
9" apart.

My question is...if I eliminate the biscuits (time savings) and just edge
glue the 3/8" stock using stabdard bar clamps...will I have any type of
separation problems down the road ?

Nope. Not as a result of omitting the biscuits, anyway. As long as your stock
is properly surfaced, and your gluing and clamping are done properly, you'll
be fine. In edge-glued joints, biscuits aid in alignment, but don't add
significantlly to the strength of the joint (which, with modern glues, is
stronger than the wood to begin with).

For this application..it's fine if there is a slight unevenness to the
joints here and there...using knotty/rustic alder and want a kind of rustic
effect in the room

Unevenness *will* weaken the joint -- biscuits or not.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"TimR" wrote in message
I am making ceiling panels ( 42 1/2L x 23W ) out of 3/8 thick x 2 1/2 wide
alder wood. My first 'test' panel worked fine and I used biscuits about
9" apart.

My question is...if I eliminate the biscuits (time savings) and just edge
glue the 3/8" stock using stabdard bar clamps...will I have any type of
separation problems down the road ?

No. You can actually use masking tape perpendicular to the joint to hold
the pieces together if your edges are straight.

For this application..it's fine if there is a slight unevenness to the
joints here and there...using knotty/rustic alder and want a kind of
rustic
effect in the room

Thanks, TR

Posted to rec.woodworking

"TimR" wrote:

I am making ceiling panels ( 42 1/2L x 23W ) out of 3/8 thick x 2

1/2 wide
alder wood. My first 'test' panel worked fine and I used biscuits

about
9" apart.

My question is...if I eliminate the biscuits (time savings) and

just edge
glue the 3/8" stock using stabdard bar clamps...will I have any

type of
separation problems down the road ?

snip

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 10:52:07 -0700, "TimR" wrote:

I am making ceiling panels ( 42 1/2L x 23W ) out of 3/8 thick x 2 1/2 wide
alder wood. My first 'test' panel worked fine and I used biscuits about
9" apart.

My question is...if I eliminate the biscuits (time savings) and just edge
glue the 3/8" stock using stabdard bar clamps...will I have any type of
separation problems down the road ?

For this application..it's fine if there is a slight unevenness to the
joints here and there...using knotty/rustic alder and want a kind of rustic
effect in the room

Thanks, TR

It is debatable whether biscuits add ant strength. I have made 18"
wide panels 1/4" thick for scroll sawing and never had separation
problems. If properly prepared glue joints are stronger than the
wood.