Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default edge gluing 3/8 stock ?

In article , "TimR" wrote:
I am making ceiling panels ( 42 1/2L x 23W ) out of 3/8 thick x 2 1/2 wide
alder wood. My first 'test' panel worked fine and I used biscuits about
9" apart.

My question is...if I eliminate the biscuits (time savings) and just edge
glue the 3/8" stock using stabdard bar clamps...will I have any type of
separation problems down the road ?

Nope. Not as a result of omitting the biscuits, anyway. As long as your stock
is properly surfaced, and your gluing and clamping are done properly, you'll
be fine. In edge-glued joints, biscuits aid in alignment, but don't add
significantlly to the strength of the joint (which, with modern glues, is
stronger than the wood to begin with).

For this application..it's fine if there is a slight unevenness to the
joints here and there...using knotty/rustic alder and want a kind of rustic
effect in the room

Unevenness *will* weaken the joint -- biscuits or not.

--
Regards,