Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Jack and smoother...

Hello !

I just received the LV bevel up low angle jack plane

It my first high quality plane am very impressed with the resulting
surfaces
(smooth glass finish) and the reliable control of the planes
adjustements. After flatening a board I have finely adjusted the jack
plane to try and use it as a smoothing plane (on trouble free walnut)
and am so impressed that I am wondering if would see an improvement if
I were to get
with it's bevel-up smoothing brother.

Any thoughts ? What the heck could it possibly do better ?

Eric

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've got the BU smoother and I think it's great. But it is pretty close in
function to the Jack. Sure, itst a bit shorter an wider, but they are
adjacent in the spectrum of planes. I would think that you might get more
milage out of a completely different sort of plane like the medium shoulder
plane if you don't have that in your arsenal.

One of these days I have to pick up an apron plane. I saw one used at an LV
seminar. It's just a small block plane. I just about never use the full
width or length of a block plane, so the reduced size is only a plus. I'm
just hesitant because then I woul probably never pick up my modern era, but
resonably well-fetted, Stanley block plane again.

-Steve

"Diggla" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello !

I just received the LV bevel up low angle jack plane

It my first high quality plane am very impressed with the resulting
surfaces
(smooth glass finish) and the reliable control of the planes
adjustements. After flatening a board I have finely adjusted the jack
plane to try and use it as a smoothing plane (on trouble free walnut)
and am so impressed that I am wondering if would see an improvement if
I were to get
with it's bevel-up smoothing brother.

Any thoughts ? What the heck could it possibly do better ?

Eric

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stephen M wrote:

One of these days I have to pick up an apron plane.

Save up a bit more and go for the one with the adjustable mouth - even
better.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stephen M wrote:
I would think that you might get more
milage out of a completely different sort of plane like the medium shoulder
plane if you don't have that in your arsenal.

True.

You are a wise man. You have planted the seed of the next dent in my
monthly spending budget.