Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Tim is offline

Default American Brown Oak?

I bought 300bf of mixed hardwoods for $100 on ebay. Guy said his
grandfather cut it up 40 years ago and it has sat in a shed ever since.
I have planed about half of it and it is red oak, white oak, and walnut.
(It was advertised as walnut, but for the price I can excuse that;
especially since the ad said it was 100bf.)

One piece has grain and rays like white oak, but it is very dark; the color
of white oak, but the darkness of walnut. It also has numerous very small
pockets of decay. (the rest of the white oak in the lot is normal and no
decay)

I have heard of European Brown Oak, but never seen it. Could this be white
oak with the same type of fungus? Is there such a thing?

One piece of red oak has whirly curly grain like I've never seen before. It
is going to make an interesting something; a plate?