Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Tim is offline

Default American Brown Oak?

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Tim" wrote in message

I have heard of European Brown Oak, but never seen it. Could this be

white
oak with the same type of fungus? Is there such a thing?

The last batch of QSWO I bought has one end of an 9' board that is dark
brown (a piece about 2' x 6"), with pithy, almost decayed pockets close to
one edge where there is still some bark. The bark shows stress and is
almost
powdery in some areas. When you put a slat ripped off this end next to one
ripped off the other end, it almost looks stained.

The other end, about 7' away, is definitely white oak.

I'm thinking you're seeing the same thing.

Seems like it is the same. Fortunately mine is still structurally sound.
I expect it is like spalted maple where it looks great unless it goes too
far.
Spalted oak?