Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lathe parts source???q

I need a drill chuck for a Rockwell - Beaver 11" wood lathe model 3401A
(later Delta).

Anyone know where I might get parts for it???

Keith P.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Salmo" wrote:
I need a drill chuck for a Rockwell - Beaver 11" wood lathe model 3401A
(later Delta).

Anyone know where I might get parts for it???

Pretty much any drill chuck with the right taper -- probably MT2 in this case,
but that's just a guess -- ought to work.

Try asking over at rec.crafts.woodturning, too.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nope..I wish it was morse taper, but not on this one. A buddy loaned me an
MT2 yesterday and it's not even close, The spur on the headstock screws
onto a thread and is about 2" long...No luck at that end either. Will try
the site you suggested.

Thanks..Keith P.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Salmo wrote:
: I need a drill chuck for a Rockwell - Beaver 11" wood lathe model 3401A
: (later Delta).

: Anyone know where I might get parts for it???

If it's a standard taper, there's all sorts of sources. If it's a Morse taper, try any
woodturning supplier (woodcraft, lee Valley, Craft Supplies). If it's a different
taper, I'd try a machinist supply (McMaster-Carr, MSC).

To figure out what it is, I'd go to http://www.owwm.com (the Old Woodworking Machines
group website), and dig around.

-- Andy barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

It has no taper....Straight with a machined slot on one side. I tried
tapping the live center out but have a feeling it's either really stuck or
an integral part of the whole piece. I don't really know. I'll just have to
keep looking.

Just before I sent this I went to a site that had an exploded view of the
parts and it described part #30 as a dead center with a #1 morse taper
included......Sooo it must be stuck tight...Hmmmm. Wish I knew someone who
had this machine.

Keith P.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The live centre that was on the lathe turned out to be a #1 Morse taper
(after using penetrating lube and a few hard taps it released!)

Keith P

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith
Great! #1 Morse taper accessories are easy to get.

______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"Salmo" wrote in message
The live centre that was on the lathe turned out to be a #1 Morse taper
(after using penetrating lube and a few hard taps it released!)

Keith P

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Salmo" wrote:

Nope..I wish it was morse taper, but not on this one. A buddy loaned me an
MT2 yesterday and it's not even close, The spur on the headstock screws
onto a thread and is about 2" long...No luck at that end either. Will try
the site you suggested.

Thanks..Keith P.

A MT#2 is NOT going to fit in a MT#1

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org