Junior Member

Location: Pinckney, Michigan
Default Need parts for old Delta Milwaukee lathe

I have an old Delta-Milwaukee wood lathe, serial number 27-274, that I inherited from my dad. Don't know how old it is, but it is one of my earliest memories as a child and I'm pushing 50. It didn't get much use as I recall, and is still in good physical and working condition. I recently changed out the belts which I assume were as old as me.

It has a Delta Milwaukee cross-slide compound which I use for the occasional turning of aluminum parts. I can find no identifying marks on the compound at all.

I recently noticed noticed that it was making poor cuts, and the tool was "diving" in to the work. I investigated and found that the brass Acme lead screw nut on one of the axiis was not only loose, but is quite worn as well.

Can anyone on the forum refer me to a source of data and parts on these old lathes and accessories? The local shop basically said "good luck".
Morris Dovey

J. Mark Wolf wrote:

I recently noticed noticed that it was making poor cuts, and
the tool was "diving" in to the work. I investigated and found
that the brass Acme lead screw nut on one of the axiis was not
only loose, but is quite worn as well.

I've bought Acme nuts from Enco; but don't think they carry them
in brass. This URL should fetch their PDF catalog page:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=664&PARTPG=INLMK32

If you do find a source of brass Acme nuts, I'd appreciate if you
let me know where/who it is!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Charley

If you don't find a source for the nut, you can have one made at a local
machine shop. It won't be cheap, but it will be worth it if the rest of the
machine is still in good condition. Since the cost of the part will be
mostly setup time, consider having a spare or two made. It'll likely only be
a few dollars more than the cost of just one. They will want the old nut and
also the acme screw so they can match the new nut to it for proper fit.

Charley