Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Chair plans available?

My wife wants 4 new dining room chairs. I don't normally use plans, but
have never made a chair before, so I think it might be a good idea.

She wants something like:
http://www.tomsprice.com/marketplace...2A&Category=11

I have spent a good deal of time googling and can't find anything, free or
paid, like it. The closest I come is
http://www.knottyplans.com/index.php?page=10051
and the arms look weird.

Could you take http://plansnow.com/chairsdine.html and just run the front
legs higher and put an arm in?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
My wife wants 4 new dining room chairs. I don't normally use plans, but
have never made a chair before, so I think it might be a good idea.

She wants something like:
http://www.tomsprice.com/marketplace...2A&Category=11

I have spent a good deal of time googling and can't find anything, free or
paid, like it. The closest I come is
http://www.knottyplans.com/index.php?page=10051
and the arms look weird.

Could you take http://plansnow.com/chairsdine.html and just run the front
legs higher and put an arm in?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

I suggest you get Jeff Miller's book on chairs (Taunton Press). He will
spell it out for you.
There is not a chair in the book like the one your wife likes, but the one
she likes would be easy to build.
Woodwork magazines 90 and 91 have a Paul Sellers article for building a
Craftsman Rocker. I have built that chair and it would be easy to convert to
the shair you want.

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.tomsprice.com/marketplace...-3531/2A&Categ
ory=11

I have spent a good deal of time googling and can't find anything, free or
paid, like it. The closest I come is
http://www.knottyplans.com/index.php?page=10051 and the arms look weird.

Could you take http://plansnow.com/chairsdine.html and just run the front
legs higher and put an arm in?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

How about this one:
http://www.linemine.com/Library/planpages/CH-04.htm

Might help you to know that on this side of the pond they're called
carver chairs. Presumably because the head of the table, who
traditionally carved the meat sat in them.

Peter
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lowell Holmes wrote:
I suggest you get Jeff Miller's book on chairs (Taunton Press). He will
spell it out for you.

The book is called "Chairmaking & Design". I've never built a chair,
but I have read the book and it seemed very good. I read it from the
library and then tried to buy a copy and found it very difficult to
find because it is out of print from Taunton. You have 3 options:

1. Go to your local library
2. Buy a used copy (currently $73 on Amazon -- that shows you how good
it is!)
3. Buy the new printing, which will be released on November 1, 2006
from Linden Publishing. You can pre-order it from Amazon now for about
$16.

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message
[...]

A library about 15 miles away has that book, so I will stop over tomorrow.
Interestingly, they also have the only other chair design book in the area.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message

snip

Woodwork magazines 90 and 91 have a Paul Sellers article for building a
Craftsman Rocker. I have built that chair and it would be easy to convert
to the shair you want.

A library about 15 miles away has that book, so I will stop over tomorrow.
Interestingly, they also have the only other chair design book in the
area.

And don't look past ordering the two back issues of Woodwork magazine. Paul
takes you step by step thru making the chair. Just leave the rockers off,
re-shape the arms, adjust the leg heights and you'll have an arm chair.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
Could you take http://plansnow.com/chairsdine.html and just run the front
legs higher and put an arm in?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Sure - you could definitely just make longer front legs and add arms.
I'm working on a rocking chair right now in a very similar style, with
arms coming back off the straight front legs. I got a plan from
"American Furniture Design" for Christmas last year, and it was a good
place to start for measurements, but the plan itself was pretty poor.
One other book to consider is "In the Craftsman Style" (FWW):
At amazon: http://tinyurl.com/n39q2
There's a good article in there about building an arts-and-crafts style
chair, and though it's not a plan, there are some good measurements,
tips, pictures of jigs he used, etc. If you go to the book page on
Amazon, click "Search inside", and enter "the author based" in the
search box, then click on the result from page 37, you can see the
basic measured drawing. If you search for "trim the front" and click on
the page 38 result, it shows one of his jigs.
Aside from this particular chapter, it's an interesting book with some
background on the arts and crafts style, lots of pictures, several
projects, and several "inspirations".
If you want to drop a few more bucks, the Fine Woodworking "The
Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture and Cabinet Construction" by
Andy Rae is an OK book and has some info/tips specifically on chairs.
Another thing I found helpful when designing my rocker was to search
google images for as many mission/arts&crafts rocking chair pictures as
I could find, print out a few per page, compare, and pick out elements
of various chairs that I liked. My final design is a combination of
several pictures, the AFD plan, and some of my own ideas.
Hope this is helpful,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
My wife wants 4 new dining room chairs. I don't normally use plans,
but have never made a chair before, so I think it might be a good
idea.

This any good?
http://store.woodstore.net/twoinonechair.html

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
k...
Toller wrote:
My wife wants 4 new dining room chairs. I don't normally use plans,
but have never made a chair before, so I think it might be a good
idea.

This any good?
http://store.woodstore.net/twoinonechair.html

Yes indeed; looks right on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Could you take http://plansnow.com/chairsdine.html and just run the front
legs higher and put an arm in?

I used the Woodsmith plans you noted and modified them for an arm
chair. If you deside to do the same, going for the Stickley design your
wife wants, I would recommend that you widen the design. I flared the
arms out at the seat but that would not suit the look you are seeking.

http://shannonwoodworks.bizland.com/...gallery_1.html

Good luck

My Plans Postings J T Woodworking 53 September 29th 06 12:47 AM
The End of Pensions -- But Keep Voting for Republicans as You Spend Your Golden Years in a Cardboard Box on the Street Cliff Metalworking 175 November 7th 05 08:17 PM
Plans for the Hemingway chair? RESPITE95 Woodworking 1 February 9th 05 04:38 AM
Folding Deck Chair Plans Greg Woodworking 0 January 21st 04 06:42 AM
Plans Tom Watson Woodworking 4 August 23rd 03 03:57 AM