Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Andy is offline

Default Chair plans available?

Toller wrote:
Could you take http://plansnow.com/chairsdine.html and just run the front
legs higher and put an arm in?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Sure - you could definitely just make longer front legs and add arms.
I'm working on a rocking chair right now in a very similar style, with
arms coming back off the straight front legs. I got a plan from
"American Furniture Design" for Christmas last year, and it was a good
place to start for measurements, but the plan itself was pretty poor.
One other book to consider is "In the Craftsman Style" (FWW):
At amazon: http://tinyurl.com/n39q2
There's a good article in there about building an arts-and-crafts style
chair, and though it's not a plan, there are some good measurements,
tips, pictures of jigs he used, etc. If you go to the book page on
Amazon, click "Search inside", and enter "the author based" in the
search box, then click on the result from page 37, you can see the
basic measured drawing. If you search for "trim the front" and click on
the page 38 result, it shows one of his jigs.
Aside from this particular chapter, it's an interesting book with some
background on the arts and crafts style, lots of pictures, several
projects, and several "inspirations".
If you want to drop a few more bucks, the Fine Woodworking "The
Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture and Cabinet Construction" by
Andy Rae is an OK book and has some info/tips specifically on chairs.
Another thing I found helpful when designing my rocker was to search
google images for as many mission/arts&crafts rocking chair pictures as
I could find, print out a few per page, compare, and pick out elements
of various chairs that I liked. My final design is a combination of
several pictures, the AFD plan, and some of my own ideas.
Hope this is helpful,
Andy