Posted to rec.woodworking

Default drill press confusion

I have been doing woodworking as a hobby for the last couple of months.
After a couple of projects, I slowly acquired a tablesaw and other
power tools and now in need of a drill press to make those accurate
holes. I spent two whole days researching between 10" and 12" drill
presses and between delta and ryobi. All my power tools are ryobi and
all of them work great so naturally I am biased towards ryobi.

As a matter of fact I bought the ryobi 10" DP at homedepot yesterday
for $99. It is the new model with laser crosshairs. It works fine. But
I am wondering if I should have got the 12" ryobi new model which had
lasers plus variable speeds. I could not find a single review of this
new 12" ryobi DP. It has infinite speeds between 500 and 3000rpm. 5A
motor.

Will it be worth spending $169 for the 12" one ? please advice. I dont
want to outgrow a new DP very soon.

Thanks,
-joy

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Joy, believe me when I tell you that you will quickly outgrow that drill
press.
I am in full agreement that the DP is one of the most used and abused tools
in my shop. I have the Delta 16" VS DP and it functions very well, but even
with this machine, I sometimes wish I had a larger model.

Take back the 10" and get the largest (variable speed is an absolute must)
machine you can find. If you want to save a few bucks, look for a large
used one. You will not be sorry.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
IAll my power tools are ryobi and
all of them work great so naturally I am biased towards ryobi.

Report back in a year and see if you still feel the same.

Will it be worth spending $169 for the 12" one ? please advice. I dont
want to outgrow a new DP very soon.

Yes. I have a 12" and I'd never want to go smaller. It is not often I'd
like larger, but 10" it too small long term. In a month you won't be happy
with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

both are better than a hand operated drill, but..... I have been using a
Rockwell 32" radial drill press since the late 70's and have never wanted
for more. These typically will cost more than what you are looking at but
will probably last you from here on out. Take a look at the Grizzly here,
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G7945 .

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks a lot everyone.

It now makes sense to go for a 12" DP. I will probably upgrade it
today.

Now I wonder why I dont see a single review of the newer ryobi 12" with
laser crosshair and variable speeds (500-3000). I will probably get
that one unless someone can tell me good enough reasons to go for delta
12" with 5 speeds (620-3100).

I saw a 12" DP on craigslist for $100 but it is without the laser
crosshairs and has fixed speeds. but it is the older ryobi with
280-3000 range.

Here is my woodworking gallery:
www.pbase.com/jdutta78/woodworks

I saw the grizzly radial one, but not sure if I will order it online. I
prefer to buy heavy stuff like these locally.

-joy

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
IAll my power tools are ryobi and
all of them work great so naturally I am biased towards ryobi.

Report back in a year and see if you still feel the same.

Will it be worth spending $169 for the 12" one ? please advice. I dont
want to outgrow a new DP very soon.

Yes. I have a 12" and I'd never want to go smaller. It is not often I'd
like larger, but 10" it too small long term. In a month you won't be happy
with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks a lot everyone.

It now makes sense to go for a 12" DP. I will probably upgrade it
today.

Now I wonder why I dont see a single review of the newer ryobi 12" with
laser crosshair and variable speeds (500-3000). I will probably get
that one unless someone can tell me good enough reasons to go for delta
12" with 5 speeds (620-3100).

I saw a 12" DP on craigslist for $100 but it is without the laser
crosshairs and has fixed speeds. but it is the older ryobi with
280-3000 range.

Here is my woodworking gallery:
www.pbase.com/jdutta78/woodworks

I saw the grizzly radial one, but not sure if I will order it online. I
prefer to buy heavy stuff like these locally.

-joy

Joy, If this is going to be a serious hobby, forget about lasers and other
gizmos. Buy the biggest, heaviest one you can afford. Used is not a bad
option.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

I guess I am really liking woodworking as a hobby.

My other hobby is photography, but I cant do it just anytime I want.
Woodworking is independent of time so I am getting more hooked.

I am looking at craigslist now to get a good deal on a 12" of not
larger drill press.

thanks for the inputs.
-joy

Joy, If this is going to be a serious hobby, forget about lasers and other
gizmos. Buy the biggest, heaviest one you can afford. Used is not a bad
option.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I bought a tiny HF VS DP for $30. Works great. If I outgrow it
tomorrow, that's OK. I'll get whatever I need then and be happy that I
have a smaller drill press that does what it does. I'd feel the same
way if I spent $99 on the Ryobi. Even if all you do is learn a little
about DPs (including maybe that you need a bigger one), $30-$100 is
dirt cheap for tuition plus materials-- especially considering that you
can recover some value by selling, giving away, or repurposing the
thing. As long as it works.

The VS on mine works by switching the belts around on stepped pullies,
btw.

As for the aspersions some will cast on the Ryobi name: I've had the
low-end Ryobi fixed-base router for years, and my father has had the
same one for longer, and it's great (in contrast to the low-end Skil
plunge router of the day, the 1823, which is unusable). Same goes for
their 1/4 sheet palm sander. Their mid-to-upper range bench saws are
undoubtedly lots of bang for the buck, and many people absolutely swear
by them. They have their own little cult. Ryobi certainly outclasses
competing brands of *consumer* grade tools like B&D, Skil, Tradesman,
and probably the Delta Shopmaster brand. Ryobi makes *consumer* grade
tools the way they should be made: functional and inexpensive.

I emphasize *consumer*. If you're on a budget, it is important to
objectively ask yourself what market you're really in. I look at the
must-have-the-bestest attitude of some of us weekend warriors and
wonder if they're overcompensating for something. Anyway, someone's
gonna sneer at your Ryobi tools. Let them have their fun, and you can
have yours.

Posted to rec.woodworking

my $99 10" ryobi DP is also VS by switching the belt. the new 12" ryobi
has a handle which varies size of pulleys so you can get ANY speed you
want.

you are right about the tuition fact. In two days of my my exhaustive
research on DPs I learnt a lot of stuff.

I always find that buying a little more than the cheapest item on the
market is usually better. I am happy I bought the ryobi portable table
saw bts20r for $220 instead of the cheapest $99 one. So I guess same
could happen to this case too.

happy woodworking,
-joy

I bought a tiny HF VS DP for $30. Works great. If I outgrow it
tomorrow, that's OK. I'll get whatever I need then and be happy that I
have a smaller drill press that does what it does. I'd feel the same
way if I spent $99 on the Ryobi. Even if all you do is learn a little
about DPs (including maybe that you need a bigger one), $30-$100 is
dirt cheap for tuition plus materials-- especially considering that you
can recover some value by selling, giving away, or repurposing the
thing. As long as it works.

The VS on mine works by switching the belts around on stepped pullies,
btw.

As for the aspersions some will cast on the Ryobi name: I've had the
low-end Ryobi fixed-base router for years, and my father has had the
same one

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joy, I have several questions on digitally photographing pens. I've got
some ideas I'd like to discuss with you. ( yes you can mix woodworking
and photography )

Troy
wrote:
I guess I am really liking woodworking as a hobby.

My other hobby is photography, but I cant do it just anytime I want.
Woodworking is independent of time so I am getting more hooked.

I am looking at craigslist now to get a good deal on a 12" of not
larger drill press.

thanks for the inputs.
-joy

Posted to rec.woodworking

One important thing that nobody has yet mentioned is "Spindle stroke".
This is the length of downward movement that the drill press will go
without changing the table position. In my case since I'm frequently
drilling through pieces of wood 3-3½" it was important to me to have
that spindle stroke capacity. Size of DP does NOT guarantee longer
stroke. This specification will be clearly marked on the box and in my
opinion is more important then variable speed changing methods. VS is
important but it really doesn't matter much whether its belt or
electronic. Almost ALL drill press's will offset the table for taller
pieces if need be as far as I know. So think about what your going to
be making and get something that has a spindle stroke to match OR BETTER.

Troy

boorite wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

I would take a look at the older one if I were you. Every drill press on
the market goes faster than what you need but few go slow enough. 500 is to
fast for a lot of things. A variable speed drive on a drill press is nothing
to pay extra for. You don't need it and will find that you don't change
speeds much.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks a lot everyone.

It now makes sense to go for a 12" DP. I will probably upgrade it
today.

Now I wonder why I dont see a single review of the newer ryobi 12" with
laser crosshair and variable speeds (500-3000). I will probably get
that one unless someone can tell me good enough reasons to go for delta
12" with 5 speeds (620-3100).

I saw a 12" DP on craigslist for $100 but it is without the laser
crosshairs and has fixed speeds. but it is the older ryobi with
280-3000 range.

Here is my woodworking gallery:
www.pbase.com/jdutta78/woodworks

I saw the grizzly radial one, but not sure if I will order it online. I
prefer to buy heavy stuff like these locally.

-joy

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
IAll my power tools are ryobi and
all of them work great so naturally I am biased towards ryobi.

Report back in a year and see if you still feel the same.

Will it be worth spending $169 for the 12" one ? please advice. I dont
want to outgrow a new DP very soon.

Yes. I have a 12" and I'd never want to go smaller. It is not often

I'd
like larger, but 10" it too small long term. In a month you won't be

happy
with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 4, 4:02 pm, Troy wrote:
One important thing that nobody has yet mentioned is "Spindle stroke".
This is the length of downward movement that the drill press will go
without changing the table position. In my case since I'm frequently
drilling through pieces of wood 3-3½" it was important to me to have
that spindle stroke capacity. Size of DP does NOT guarantee longer
stroke. This specification will be clearly marked on the box and in my
opinion is more important then variable speed changing methods. VS is
important but it really doesn't matter much whether its belt or
electronic. Almost ALL drill press's will offset the table for taller
pieces if need be as far as I know. So think about what your going to
be making and get something that has a spindle stroke to match OR BETTER.

Troy

Yeah, what Troy said. Variable speed by belt & pulley changing is no
big deal, the laser pointers don't matter either. But there's a big
difference between 2 3/8" and 3 1/4" stroke. Consider that the smaller
is not adequate to go through 2 2X's clamped together, or for that
matter, may not even go through a 2X plus a 1X total thickness. I've
got an old Rockwell radial also, so I never lack for swing distance,
but I've often wished it's slowest speed was a little slower.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.
Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -

Posted to rec.woodworking

" writes:

I saw a 12" DP on craigslist for $100 but it is without the laser
crosshairs and has fixed speeds. but it is the older ryobi with
280-3000 range.

You can use other techniques instead of a laser built into a drill.
Machinists have been solving this problem for 100 years....

1. Use a small drill to find the exact spot.
2. Get a laser center finder.

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=83191

3. Get a wiggler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiggler_(tool)
http://www.amazon.com/Wiggler-Center.../dp/B0007KXN5W

Posted to rec.woodworking

ok, so it looks like I got to try hard to get the older ryobi 12" DP
with 280-3000 range or get it new from HD. i can make do without laser
and continuous variable speeds. I wish the new ryobi had 280 rpm as
slowest speed. what a pity they made a new model with bells and
whistles and LED rpm readout but without a critical feature.

-joy

Posted to rec.woodworking

just back from home depot. returned the 10" ryobi DP without hassle.
now I find that both the older 12" and new 12" DP are at the same price
of $169. I would really love to have the new one, but will be patient
to search for a used one.

floor model could be nice, but right now my workshop is just a 5'x11'
storage room...

On Oct 4, 6:12 pm, Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote: ok, so it looks like I got to try hard to get the olderryobi12" DP
with 280-3000 range or get it new from HD. i can make do without laser
and continuous variable speeds. I wish the newryobihad 280 rpm as
slowest speed. what a pity they made a new model with bells and
whistles and LED rpm readout but without a critical feature.

SFWIW, the last thing you need on adrillpressis "ginger bread".

What you do need is low end RPM, long spindle travel, good bearing
assembly.

At this point, continuous variable speed might be nice, but a 16 speed
unit will let you do a lot of work.

If you have the floor space, consider a 16 speed, floor mount unit
obtained in the used equipment market.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

bit the dust and got the new ryobi 12" DP for $169. figured that I wont
work on metal so 500rpm as lowest wont hurt. I would have got the older
one if price was less.

Hope to use this dp for a long time now.

thanks to all for the inputs.
-joy

On Oct 4, 7:46 pm, " wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
just back from home depot. returned the 10" ryobi DP without hassle.
now I find that both the older 12" and new 12" DP are at the same price
of $169. I would really love to have the new one, but will be patient
to search for a used one.

floor model could be nice, but right now my workshop is just a 5'x11'
storage room...

Yeah, my shop isn't much bigger than that. I'd recommend forgetting
both Ryobi models and getting the Ridgid floor-standing model at Home
Depot - $270 or so is reasonable, I think, if there's any way at all
you can afford it. I'll agree with everyone else that the DP is one of
the most frequently used tools in my shop - I have a 50+ year old Atlas
model with about 4.5" of spindle travel, and it's absolutely worth the
space it takes up (compared to a portable bench-top unit). I was
fortunate enough to inherit this tool, so I didn't have to pay for it,
but I've added a LinkBelt, a table with fence + t-tracks, and a
pulley/counterweight so the table is easier to move up and down. I've
never wished for a laser.
Another option, besides looking around for used ones (craigslist, ebay)
would be to check out Harbor Freight if there's a store near you - I've
heard their DPs (especially their higher-end ones) are not too bad.
According to their website, they have a few 16-speed models, around
14", for $185-190. I would definitely say that size/weight upgrade
would be worth $20 compared to the Ryobi. In my opinion, an extra 50
lbs of cast iron is a great feature to dampen vibration and just lend
more overall "solidity".
Just my opinions,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

I really wish I could go for a floor model but it was way over my
budget and i dont have any more space. its quite a long way for me to
get my own condo/townhouse and a workshop in a garage. for now i have
to make do with the biggest i could afford. the harbor freight floor
model was tempting but no retail store near me

thanks for the great advice.
-joy

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW"
snip
Every drill press on
the market goes faster than what you need but few go slow enough. 500 is
fast for a lot of things. A variable speed drive on a drill press is
nothing
to pay extra for. You don't need it and will find that you don't change
speeds much.

Depending on how and what you use the DP for. I am constantly changing
speeds, switching between small and large bits, forstners bits and between
drilling large or small holes in metals.
I would not have a DP without variable speed. Granted to OP may not need it
today, but someday soon maybe - why limit yourself?

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am loving the utility of the lasers and the variable speed. just what
i wanted to have in a DP.
As a starter, I am making a wooden game of abalone for my niece, and
had to make 61 hemispherical crevices on the hexagonal piece. lasers
made it fast. and i experimented with several speeds before getting a
optimum one for the right cut quality. I used a router bit for this,
and depth stop on the DP.

I will keep you guyz posted on my work. will upload my work on my
woodwork gallery: www.pbase.com/jdutta78/woodworks

-joy

Depending on how and what you use the DP for. I am constantly changing
speeds, switching between small and large bits, forstners bits and between
drilling large or small holes in metals.
I would not have a DP without variable speed. Granted to OP may not need it
today, but someday soon maybe - why limit yourself?

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

oups.com...

On Oct 4, 4:02 pm, Troy wrote:
One important thing that nobody has yet mentioned is "Spindle stroke".
This is the length of downward movement that the drill press will go
without changing the table position. In my case since I'm frequently
drilling through pieces of wood 3-3½" it was important to me to have
that spindle stroke capacity. Size of DP does NOT guarantee longer
stroke. This specification will be clearly marked on the box and in my
opinion is more important then variable speed changing methods. VS is
important but it really doesn't matter much whether its belt or
electronic. Almost ALL drill press's will offset the table for taller
pieces if need be as far as I know. So think about what your going to
be making and get something that has a spindle stroke to match OR BETTER.

Troy

You can get around a short stroke. Drill as deep as you can, turn the DP
off, raise the table so that the bit goes down in the hole, secure the wood
and turn the DP back on and continue drilling.

Posted to rec.woodworking

hi leon,

I learnt about that technique too, among a lot of other things, in just
2 days, thanks to my "confusion" . am just feeling good about not
risking outgrowing my DP too soon. I liked that 10" but the extra power
of this 12" might come handy some day.

thanks for your input.
-joy

Leon wrote:

You can get around a short stroke. Drill as deep as you can, turn the DP
off, raise the table so that the bit goes down in the hole, secure the wood
and turn the DP back on and continue drilling.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4 Oct 2006 12:22:01 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

My first (and only) is a Delta floor model. I have to slip the belt
over pulleys to change speeds, but for the most part I keep it at 1000
rpm. I'm really glad to have a floor model. Whatever you use, I
found that a cheap drafting lamp mounted nearby gives all the light I
need.
Posted to rec.woodworking

took me several happy hours today to make a sturdy bench for the 12"
ryobi DP. I will be adding a caster platform to it tomorrow. I really
love this drill. a floor model could definitely offer a lot more, but
this will just do for me. In rare cases of drilling on big workpieces I
can swing the head. But for those cases when you need to drill a dowel
hole, I have the doweling jig and the hand power drill. Love the lasers
and built-in light. Minimalistic design. The variable speed is a boon
too, can always fine tune the speed for a work at hand.

A couple pics:
-drill press on bench: http://www.pbase.com/jdutta78/image/68174565
-bench: http://www.pbase.com/jdutta78/image/68174564
-caster below table saw: http://www.pbase.com/jdutta78/image/68174566

happy woodworking.
-j

Phisherman wrote:

My first (and only) is a Delta floor model. I have to slip the belt
over pulleys to change speeds, but for the most part I keep it at 1000
rpm. I'm really glad to have a floor model. Whatever you use, I
found that a cheap drafting lamp mounted nearby gives all the light I
need.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-j

Phisherman wrote:

My first (and only) is a Delta floor model. I have to slip the belt
over pulleys to change speeds, but for the most part I keep it at 1000
rpm. I'm really glad to have a floor model. Whatever you use, I
found that a cheap drafting lamp mounted nearby gives all the light I
need.

the best thing I did for my floor dp is replce the chuck with a
keyless chuck.

Believe it or not .. with the key chuck I was having trouble getting
a good bite on the drill bit, it would keep slipping on heavy load.

Since I have replace it with a good keyless .. it no longer slips and
it seems to have less wobble.

mike