Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dewalt DW106 chuck removal

I'm trying to replace the chuck on my Dewalt DW106 corded drill. The
instructions with the tool say to chuck an allen wrench into the chuck
and hit it with a hammer in the counter-clockwise direction. There
does not appear to be any sort of screw inside the chuck as is often
mentioned (e.g. in the large volume of previous posts to this group
about removing chucks). I have whacked the thing a couple dozen times
with a hammer and tried using WD-40 to maybe loosen things up, but I
have not made any progress. It hasn't loosened at all. What else can
I try?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Is this a reversible drill? If it can run in reverse, it has a
screw inside holding the chuck. It is often an Allen headed
screw.

Once the bolt is out or you know that there is not one, it is time
to get the chuck off. The Allen wrench method works well. Get
the largest possible Allen wrench. Tighten the small end of the L
shaped Allen in the drill chuck. Look at the chuck end of the
drill, not the handle end, to determine counterclockwise rotation.
Get a steel headed hammer, piece of pipe, a hardwood stick, or
something else that can deliver a hard, sharp blow. You need to
swat the long end of the Allen very sharply to deliver a blow that
tries to turn the chuck faster than the motor can turn. All you
have holding against this blow is the motor as you can't hold the
armature in a vise or lock the armature against rotation. Get mad
at it, hit it hard, hit it several times. It will spin off, have
total confidence.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm trying to replace the chuck on my Dewalt DW106 corded drill.
The
instructions with the tool say to chuck an allen wrench into the
chuck
and hit it with a hammer in the counter-clockwise direction.
There
does not appear to be any sort of screw inside the chuck as is
often
mentioned (e.g. in the large volume of previous posts to this
group
about removing chucks). I have whacked the thing a couple
dozen times
with a hammer and tried using WD-40 to maybe loosen things up,
but I
have not made any progress. It hasn't loosened at all. What
else can
I try?

Posted to rec.woodworking

It is a reversible drill, but I saw no sign of a screw nor did the
drill's manual mention one. (The version with the keyed chuck
apparently has a screw, but not the keyless chuck.)

I've spent another month whacking on it, and tried a liquid wrench type
product. No progress. It does seem, however, that the shaft has
gotten somewhat wobbly. (The chuck moves from side to side a bit. I
don't believe it used to do that.) Can anybody recommend a good corded
drill with a keyless chuck?

DanG wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm trying to replace the chuck on my Dewalt DW106 corded drill.
The
instructions with the tool say to chuck an allen wrench into the
chuck
and hit it with a hammer in the counter-clockwise direction.
There
does not appear to be any sort of screw inside the chuck as is
often
mentioned (e.g. in the large volume of previous posts to this
group
about removing chucks). I have whacked the thing a couple
dozen times
with a hammer and tried using WD-40 to maybe loosen things up,
but I
have not made any progress. It hasn't loosened at all. What
else can
I try?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Adrian,

I'm sorry for your trouble. I still stand firm - if the drill is
reversible there IS a screw holding it. Where are you? perhaps a
tradesman near you can help.

The best corded keyless I have ever owned is a Milwaukee. Hold
the slip ring and tighten as much as you want.
___________________________
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

ups.com...

DanG wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, I already looked for a screw several times. If I open the chuck
up and look down with a flashlight I see a smooth metal surface at the
bottom. No slot, no recess for philips or allen wrench. I can look
again.

I'm in Northern Virginia. Which Milwaukee are you recommending? When
I read the amazon reviews of drills with keyless chucks there's always
people complaining that the chucks don't work, it seems, even for
Milwaukee's low end drill.

Note that in my case I suspect that the failure of my chuck was really
the result of abuse. The drill always worked fine until I remodeled
the bathroom. Then I used the drill to a dozen holes in ceramic tile.
Nothing would cut these tiles except diamonds. The diamond bit
required continuous water lubrication and it took 5-10 minutes PER
HOLE. The chuck rusted. It was light rust that was easy to remove
with a rust remover, but it was after that job that I started noticing
the chuck slipping.

DanG wrote:
Adrian,

I'm sorry for your trouble. I still stand firm - if the drill is
reversible there IS a screw holding it. Where are you? perhaps a
tradesman near you can help.

The best corded keyless I have ever owned is a Milwaukee. Hold
the slip ring and tighten as much as you want.
___________________________
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

ups.com...

DanG wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to adrian, Mark wrote:
adrian wrote:

[...]

I encountered this post when trying to find a way to remove the chuck from
my ancient DW106 drill. Adrian is correct -- there is no screw in this
model. I finally figured out that if I removed the seven Torx #10 screws
holding the drill together, I could separate the case halves, lift out the
gear, shaft and chuck, and lock a Visegrip onto the shaft between the
chuck and the first gear. Locking a 1/4" Allen wrench in the chuck and
turning the chuck counterclockwise with a few blows from a light hammer,
using the Visegrip to keep the shaft from turning, did the trick.
Reassembly was no problem at all. I wish I had done this to begin with and
that I could have shared this trick with Adrian when he encountered this
problem 9 years ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

adrian wrote:

[...]

Typically screws are only used for reversing drills.
Anyway the standard procedure if it does not have a screw or after the
screw has been removed is to tighten the chuck, if possible, on to the
short end of a large hex wrench. Then whack the wrench with a hammer
counter clockwise if the wrench is between you and the drill, and or in
the same direction that the drill spins when drilling a hole.
I realize this is basically what you said but normally you can do this
with out taking the drill apart. The resistance of the motor and
gearing is normally enough to hold the chuck in a relatively stationary
position.

That said, I wonder if using an impact driver to loosen the chuck would
work better.

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to DanG, alyoupal wrote:
Wrong. Stand weakly next time.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...al-338959-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark - Thanks for this post. I know this post is ancient but it showed up on my search when I was looking for instructions on removing the chuck from my DW106. I have a drill guide that requires the chuckbeing removed and I just could get the chuck removed. After reading your post, I was able to get it off. I know you were too late to help Adrian, but you helped me.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...al-338959-.htm