Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Driveway Made Of Wood?

Has anyone ever heard of anyone creating a driveway made of wood?

For arguments sake, let's say we want try this as an experiment and
we'll be using oak from trees we'll be cutting ourselves. As an
experiment we want to see how long the wood lasts without treating, so
we'll cut the wood and let it dry to what moisture content? What
"ideal" type of wood would you use?

Would (pun inteneded) it be wise to have large planks or small pieces,
such as pavers? There will be expansion/contraction. Can this be
calculated before the wood would be laid?

I know there is going to be at least one person on the planet who will
want to post something negative about this, so, for that person: please
post your reply straight to yourself and not here. Thanks.

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of anyone creating a driveway made of wood?

Remember your history classes where they discussed corduroy road
construction using wooden logs?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
Jack wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of anyone creating a driveway made of wood?

For arguments sake, let's say we want try this as an experiment and
we'll be using oak from trees we'll be cutting ourselves. As an
experiment we want to see how long the wood lasts without treating, so
we'll cut the wood and let it dry to what moisture content? What
"ideal" type of wood would you use?

Would (pun inteneded) it be wise to have large planks or small pieces,
such as pavers? There will be expansion/contraction. Can this be
calculated before the wood would be laid?

I know there is going to be at least one person on the planet who will
want to post something negative about this, so, for that person: please
post your reply straight to yourself and not here. Thanks.

Jack

Believe it or not in the arly 20th century there were ROADS made of
wood. However they used treated timbers like railroad ties, probably
creosote.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.
Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plank_road

Posted to rec.woodworking

I lived on a street called Hessler Court in Cleveland. Oak timbers, end
grain up, each about the size of a brick. I don't know the depth of the
"bricks". The street is about 150 years old (IIRC). A call to
Cleveland's "Western Reserve Historical Society" (www.wrhs.org) could
probably get you construction details or directions to someone who knows.

It does have some dips due to settling. It is the last remaining wood
street in the city, and repairs have sadly been done with brick or
asphalt. Charming to look at and live on. When covered with snow, it
has traction characteristics similar to a hockey rink.

David S.

wrote:
In article .com,
Jack wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

David wrote:

I lived on a street called Hessler Court in Cleveland. Oak timbers,

end
grain up, each about the size of a brick. I don't know the depth of

the
"bricks". The street is about 150 years old (IIRC).

What part of Cleveland?

What you are describing has often been used as a machine shop floor.

Horseburg & Scott, a gear box manufacturer on Hamilton Av in Cleveland
used it for their shops.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Within 20 miles from my house, a road was built between Petrolia and
Sarnia, Ontario.
Entirely made from white oak soaked in creosote, it lasted a long time.
On it, carts with barrels of oil were transported from (what they
claim) the first strike in North America to (one of) the first
refineries owned by Standard Oil aka SO (phoenetically ESSO)
That road, today called (wait for it.........).....Plank road.
Sometimes, when a repair is done, or a sewer is laid, they will often
find remnants of the planks.

When a summer breeze rolls in from SSE, the scent of crude faintly
fills the air. That only happens a couple of times per year.

When the wind comes from SW, one can clearly make out the scent of
sheep, led to the slaughter by their dictator.

October 5 is going to be a big day. God bless all my American friends!

http://www.worldcantwait.org/

....and NO.. I am not some kinda 'lefty', in fact the opposite is
true...but enough is enough.

(I seldom voice my political views, here, or anywhere else...but for
**** sakes WAKE UP!!!)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ps.com...
When the wind comes from SW, one can clearly make out the scent of
sheep, led to the slaughter by their dictator.

I love the loaded words. Your use of the word "dictator" to describe the
situation in the US should be pretty offensive to people who actually live
in dictatorships across the world.

October 5 is going to be a big day. God bless all my American friends!

http://www.worldcantwait.org/

...and NO.. I am not some kinda 'lefty', in fact the opposite is
true...but enough is enough.

(I seldom voice my political views, here, or anywhere else...but for
**** sakes WAKE UP!!!)

Hmmm..let's look at some of the other supporters of this cause: Ed Asner,
Harry Belafonte, Ward Churchill, John Conyers, Jane Fonda, Cynthia McKinney
(!), Susan Sarandon, The Rev. Al Sharpton, Cindy Sheehan, Martin Sheen,
Gloria Steinem, Maxine Waters, etc. My apologies to the rest of the lefties
I haven't ever heard of that are also included in the list. Be careful
hanging around this group. You might get catch a bad case of liberalism
just from proximity. You are, of course, free to spend you time as you see
fit. My suggestion, however, would be to do something that might actually
produce a result. Let me say this plainly...George Bush is not going to be
driven out of office either by impeachment or resignation. I'm not arguing
the merits of whether he should or not...it just isn't going to happen.
Face it...this is a kook left fringe topic. It's the same people who
believe that 9/11 was a Bush administration conspiracy. I mean, have you
actually read the claims on this web site? "Your Government is moving each
day closer to a theocracy"? Laughable. Can you say "hyperbole", boys and
girls? Sure. I knew you could.

Oh, and watch the references to God. We're moving toward a theocracy, you
know.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of anyone creating a driveway made of wood?

For arguments sake, let's say we want try this as an experiment and
we'll be using oak from trees we'll be cutting ourselves. As an
experiment we want to see how long the wood lasts without treating, so
we'll cut the wood and let it dry to what moisture content? What
"ideal" type of wood would you use?

Would (pun inteneded) it be wise to have large planks or small pieces,
such as pavers? There will be expansion/contraction. Can this be
calculated before the wood would be laid?

I know there is going to be at least one person on the planet who will
want to post something negative about this, so, for that person: please
post your reply straight to yourself and not here. Thanks.

Jack

G'day Jack,
I believe that there are roads (streets) paved with Western Australian
Jarrah in England. I can't testify to this having never been there, but
in the dim dark recesses of my mind I recall being told this while doing
my apprenticeship. I think the blocks were planted on end.

regards
John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT (political)

Robatoy (in ) said:

snipperfaction

| When the wind comes from SW, one can clearly make out the scent of
| sheep, led to the slaughter by their dictator.
|
| October 5 is going to be a big day. God bless all my American
| friends!

http://www.worldcantwait.org/

| ...and NO.. I am not some kinda 'lefty', in fact the opposite is
| true...but enough is enough.
|
| (I seldom voice my political views, here, or anywhere else...

Hmm. I assume that you (and the worldcantwait folks) have thought this
through carefully and considered the consequences of success - and
have somehow reached the conclusion that Cheney would be a significant
improvement...

Please be very careful what you wish/advocate for.

--
Morris Dovey
who hasn't forgotten:

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT: (Perhaps You Could Remeber To Note This In The Future) DrivewayMade Of Wood?

Robatoy wrote:
[...]

Here we go again. From the web site (my comments indented):

YOUR GOVERNMENT, on the basis of outrageous lies, is waging a murderous
and utterly illegitimate war in Iraq, with other countries in their
sights.

Along with the governments of the UK, Italy, & Russia who all agreed
in the early going that the threat was real. "Outrageous lies"
is at the very least a vast overstatement and at worst an outrageous
lie in its own right. A mistake, perhaps. But then again,
the dictator in question *did* have a rather spotty human rights
and weapons history. It was understandable that most of the
Grownups thought he might just be a teensy threat. But, heck, who
cares about killing a few oddball Kurds anyway? They never vote
for Progressive Causes (tm) and are of no use to the New American
Intellectual.

YOUR GOVERNMENT is openly torturing people, and justifying it.

"Openly"? Really? Where's the video? Can I buy tickets?
Making someone scared or uncomfortable is not "torture". If it
were, I would sue "The View" for infesting the airwaves with
that Bloviating Blimp, Rosie O'Donnell. Harming
them physically or mentally in some fundamental way is. There is
a legitimate debate here about "how far is too far?", but your
pet organization hasn't remotely tapped into that debate. It's
a plainly stupid statement for consumption by similarly stupid
people.

YOUR GOVERNMENT puts people in jail on the merest suspicion, refusing
them lawyers, and either holding them indefinitely or deporting them in
the dead of night.

The "people" in question are foreign invaders who do not wear uniforms
and are thus legally spies. When our government does these things
to its own citizens, as it did in the Padilla case, I am 100% opposed
to them. But when it drops the hammer on foreign fighters, I applaud
the action. Spies are not entitled to the same protections a uniformed
combatant is. This has always been the case and remains so today,
notwithstanding the Drooly Craven commentary above. Personally, I'd
prefer that such foreign spies be hanged nightly for all to see - and
then have their remains fed to feral pigs so they can spend eternity
as pig feces ... but that's just me.

YOUR GOVERNMENT is moving each day closer to a theocracy, where a narrow
and hateful brand of Christian fundamentalism will rule.

Sure it is. That's why Islamists enjoy as good or better freedom
of expression and faith here as they do anywhere else in the world.
Ditto, Catholics, Scientologists, Pagans, Atheists, and Wiccans...
You know, all the other non "fundamentalist" sects that proliferate here.
The only "theocracy" that we're at any real risk of is the earth-
worshiping secular pantheists that infest the Academy and pollute
the minds of our young with *their* theology.

YOUR GOVERNMENT suppresses the science that doesn't fit its religious,
political and economic agenda, forcing present and future generations to
pay a terrible price.

Because we all know that science is a matter of popular opinion
first, and if everyone is scared enough of, say, so-called Global
Warming, we should all rush out to adjust policy accordingly,
notwithstanding the considerable debate *within* the scientific
community. Besides, Al Gore cleared it up for me this week -
its those nasty smokers that are gonna crank up the global
thermostat. Stem cells? Nevermind that - to date - no fetal stem cell regimen
has cured anything, but adult stem cells have. We need to keep
beating this drum because the target population is stupid enough
to believe whatever they read on the web or in an unmarked OT post
in a USENET group.

YOUR GOVERNMENT is moving to deny women here, and all over the world,
the right to birth control and abortion.

Right on! Those inconvenient little fetuses have no rights.
It's the rights of depraved, promiscuous, mattress monkeys who will part
their limbs for the cost of a glass of cheap scotch we have to
protect. (We used to call people like that "sluts", now we just call
them "feminists".) Especially if they hate men, despise traditional families,
and treat a developing child like a bad mole that needs removal.
Hail Connie The Crackhead and to hell with that unborn child that
cannot possibly defend itself. This is truly the Englightened
Position - the rights of an irresponsible, revolting, and ghastly
*adult* citizen trump the rights of a developing child which
cannot speak for itself. For the record, I do not entirely
oppose legalized abortion. I just entirely oppose the slimy, mentally
incompetent, philosophically vaccuous arguments of the Pro-Choice crowd.

YOUR GOVERNMENT enforces a culture of greed, bigotry, intolerance and
ignorance.

Right again. My government is so much worse than the enlightened
Islamic world that murders Christians, abuses women, engages in
African slave trade, keeps people in abject poverty and disease
by promising them heavenly rewards. Or how about those fabulous
multi-cultural Europeans that force their citizens to pay for
the state-approved religion by dinging each worker's paycheck?
Intolerance? Ever been to Paris? Try speaking anything other
than perfect French and see how you're treated. In my country
we have a difficult and ongoing debate about just how to
accommodate the many voices that are part of our pluralistic
society. We encourage immigration, many languages, many
religions, and a broad variety of personal expression, up to
and including the incoherent babbling of our own actors, musicians,
and news monkeys. In the larger span of human history there
has *never* been a durable culture that has room for this
breadth of expression and tolerance for this wide a diversity
of human activity. It is this tolerance for many view that
permits me the freedom to declare your views the view of
an unmitigated fool.

You've bought into the biggest lie of them all: If it's not perfect,
it's no good at all. Is my government wrong sometimes? You betcha. But
it is rarely *as* wrong, *as* often, as a good deal of the rest of the
planet. I know this not just because I read it somewhere, I know this
because I've actually lived in 3 different countries, grew up reading
and writing something other than English first, and have a long family
history of what happens when you let your guard down and allow the
intellectual sewage you're offering actually take root.

The cultural battle before us is not first with Islam, terrorists, or
any of the rest of what makes the front page of the New York Times ("All
the news that fit to make up on the spot."). The cultural battle is to
prevent the US - a nation that in only 300 short years made more good
things happen for more people *all over the world* - from descending
into the intellectual and moral middenheap that characterizes much of
the rest of the so-called West.

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om, "Robatoy" wrote:

When the wind comes from SW, one can clearly make out the scent of
sheep, led to the slaughter by their dictator.

Funny thing... here, when the wind blows from the north, it smells like
an asshole.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

In New York State there were numerous "plank roads" in the 1800's. They
acquired a reputation for uncommon slipperiness, and thus danger to
horses and cargo. The wood used was whatever was at hand and in abundant
supply. Frequently, as in the Catskills, this would have been Canadian
Hemlock. To this day, hiking trails there and elsewhere occasionally
have small wooden bridges (just big enough for a person) thrown across
small streams and with a light coat of green algae/slime/whatever are
indeed slippery as all heck. After they were torn up, remnants of said
"plank roads" are said to have survived well into the 20th century in
piles that moldered in obscure nooks of the countryside. I do not recall
having heard whether the planks were treated in any way.

If your goal is just to see how long untreated wood will last before
rotting, build yourself a back porch! :-) If made from untreated wood
you will go through several during your lifetime.

J.

Jack wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of anyone creating a driveway made of wood?

For arguments sake, let's say we want try this as an experiment and
we'll be using oak from trees we'll be cutting ourselves. As an
experiment we want to see how long the wood lasts without treating, so
we'll cut the wood and let it dry to what moisture content? What
"ideal" type of wood would you use?

Would (pun inteneded) it be wise to have large planks or small pieces,
such as pavers? There will be expansion/contraction. Can this be
calculated before the wood would be laid?

I know there is going to be at least one person on the planet who will
want to post something negative about this, so, for that person: please
post your reply straight to yourself and not here. Thanks.

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

Growing up in CT, we lived in a house that my Grandfather had bought for his
family in the early 20's. Although he never drove, and my father didn't own
a car until 1953, we had a wide driveway/pathway... about 12 feet wide and
50-60 feet long... leading to the caning shed. It was made of endgrain
treated timbers about 4" thick and about the size of a standard brick.
Considering my Grandfather's immigrant roots, I'm sure they were "free", and
probably throwaways from the machine foundry where he worked. When we left
the house in 1959 they were still there... in fact, they were still there in
1985 when I last visited the house.
Tough stuff, huh?
"Jack" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone ever heard of anyone creating a driveway made of wood?

For arguments sake, let's say we want try this as an experiment and
we'll be using oak from trees we'll be cutting ourselves. As an
experiment we want to see how long the wood lasts without treating, so
we'll cut the wood and let it dry to what moisture content? What
"ideal" type of wood would you use?

Would (pun inteneded) it be wise to have large planks or small pieces,
such as pavers? There will be expansion/contraction. Can this be
calculated before the wood would be laid?

I know there is going to be at least one person on the planet who will
want to post something negative about this, so, for that person: please
post your reply straight to yourself and not here. Thanks.

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jack" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone ever heard of anyone creating a driveway made of wood?

For arguments sake, let's say we want try this as an experiment and
we'll be using oak from trees we'll be cutting ourselves. As an
experiment we want to see how long the wood lasts without treating, so
we'll cut the wood and let it dry to what moisture content? What
"ideal" type of wood would you use?

Would (pun inteneded) it be wise to have large planks or small pieces,
such as pavers? There will be expansion/contraction. Can this be
calculated before the wood would be laid?

I know there is going to be at least one person on the planet who will
want to post something negative about this, so, for that person: please
post your reply straight to yourself and not here. Thanks.

Jack

There are still wooden bridges that are over 100 years old however they
often are not exposed to the ground. Either way wood is used for drive ways
that lead up to oil rigs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
In article om, "Robatoy" wrote:

When the wind comes from SW, one can clearly make out the scent of
sheep, led to the slaughter by their dictator.

Funny thing... here, when the wind blows from the north, it smells like
an asshole.

You are right! I am doing all I can to make sure Steven Harper won't be
prime minister for much longer. He's just another Bush lapdog.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:

Has anyone ever heard of anyone creating a driveway made of wood?

Used to be common in UK railway stations about 100 years ago. Milk was
delivered by rail (first train of the morning was always known as the
"milk train") and in metal churns. To keep noise down when unloading
these, the light freight platform and driveway at urban passenger
stations would be payed with end-grain wooden blocks to reduce the
noise. These were commonly made from recycled end-grain blocks, the
wedge-shaped blocks used to fill Maunsell-pattern railway carriage
wheels (these wheels had an iron core, a steel tyre and a wood block
filler between, supposedly to quieten noise).

I've also worked in heavy machine shops (car body panel press shops)
where the whole floor (several acres) was end-grain maple blocks. They
were an inch thick in grease (sheet lubricant from the presses) too,
which made even standing up difficult. I used to wear a suit, tie,
rubber gloves and hobnail boots!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1 Oct 2006 20:01:38 -0700, "Jack"
wrote:

Has anyone ever heard of anyone creating a driveway made of wood?

For arguments sake, let's say we want try this as an experiment and
we'll be using oak from trees we'll be cutting ourselves. As an
experiment we want to see how long the wood lasts without treating, so
we'll cut the wood and let it dry to what moisture content? What
"ideal" type of wood would you use?

Would (pun inteneded) it be wise to have large planks or small pieces,
such as pavers? There will be expansion/contraction. Can this be
calculated before the wood would be laid?

I know there is going to be at least one person on the planet who will
want to post something negative about this, so, for that person: please
post your reply straight to yourself and not here. Thanks.

Jack

When I was growing up my family had a piece of land along the Little
Kanawa River (West Virginia). It had a couple of creek beds that my
dad built bridges over by setting 4 telephone poles across the creek
(creek was about 4 to 6 feet below the bridge deck) and then planking
them with rough cut oak planks (about 2" thick x 10" wide). Somewhere
along the road he coated them with used motor oil, but when installed
they were fairly green and untreated. I know that they were used for
about 10 years. How long they lasted after that I don't know (this was
almost 40 years ago). A thought would be to excavate the drive deep
enough to lay telephone poles or railroad ties as sleepers and plank
on top so that the "roadway" is not in direct contact with the ground.

Dave Hall
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim Daneliuk wrote:
[snipped for brevity]

The cultural battle before us is not first with Islam, terrorists, or
any of the rest of what makes the front page of the New York Times ("All
the news that fit to make up on the spot.").

Agreed.

The cultural battle is to
prevent the US - a nation that in only 300 short years made more good
things happen for more people *all over the world* - from descending
into the intellectual and moral middenheap that characterizes much of
the rest of the so-called West.

In no way am I naive enough to think that the North American West has
an exclusive in this moral melt-down. I am bundling my country Canada
in this as I am well aware of what we're doing... but in a different
wrapper.

I try to tell my 85-year old father that there is a difference between
what drove the Americanadian solders into his hometown in Holland and
gave them much needed food and liberation, and what they are doing in
Baghdad---an attempt at hegemony by building permanent bases with no
intent of EVER leaving.

Death and destruction for business is wrong.

A Democratic White House won't make any difference because that
TransAfghan Pipeline is going to get built no matter what. It is a very
expensive proposition, one that is going to need a lot of bodies and
tax dollars. So much, in fact, that the current administration is
already anticipating a revolt amongst the people who need to be
harvested for their earnings. Hence the continuous implementation of
so-called anti-terror legislation, which in fact cuts both ways as
those laws do not distinguish between terrorists and nationals. They
are going to need the tax dollars. The Big Squeeze is on.

What does need to stop is the continous assault on the liberties and
freedoms of the North American population.

The belief that the restrictions are only aimed at terrorists is naive.
To have faith that The Adminstration will always be fair in the
application of these crack-downs is nothing short of laughable if it
wasn't so sad.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of anyone creating a driveway made of wood?

For arguments sake, let's say we want try this as an experiment and
we'll be using oak from trees we'll be cutting ourselves. As an
experiment we want to see how long the wood lasts without treating, so
we'll cut the wood and let it dry to what moisture content? What
"ideal" type of wood would you use?

Would (pun inteneded) it be wise to have large planks or small pieces,
such as pavers? There will be expansion/contraction. Can this be
calculated before the wood would be laid?

Interestingly enough, in addition to the corduroy and plank roads of
the 18th and 19th century, early 20th century automobile racetracks
were sometimes made of wood because ordinary road surfaces weren't
smooth enough to race on. With time these plain wood tracks decayed,
loosing planks which were set on edge as I recall. I once read an
account by an early driver about driving around holes and also heads
appearing in front of him as kids under the track would stick their
heads through the holes to see the race up close.

Sounds like the best choice would be IPE, http://ipe-wood.com/faq.html,
as it is impervious to insects, rot and fungus and about is three times
harder than teak, cedar, PT-SYP or other weather resistant woods.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:

Hmm. I assume that you (and the worldcantwait folks) have thought this
through carefully and considered the consequences of success - and
have somehow reached the conclusion that Cheney would be a significant
improvement...

Dammit, Morris, just the thought ruined my breakfast :-).

'Bout like the newspaper headline yesterday that called a US population of
300,000,000 a "milestone". I consider it a millstone :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

The cultural battle is to
prevent the US - a nation that in only 300 short years made more good
things happen for more people *all over the world* - from descending
into the intellectual and moral middenheap that characterizes much of
the rest of the so-called West.

Hmmmm - that sounds suspiciously like "everyone is out of step but me" and
somewhat reinforces the "theocracy" caution.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT Rob was just bored, decided to stir things up!

"Robatoy"
October 5 is going to be a big day. God bless all my American friends!

http://www.worldcantwait.org/

...and NO.. I am not some kinda 'lefty', in fact the opposite is
true...but enough is enough.

Rob, You crack me up. You must have had a very slow week and knowing that
winter is closing in on the frozen tundra, you hijacked this thread just for
giggles.

Here, Rob - you should get a kick out of this site.
http://www.anncoulter.com/

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of anyone creating a driveway made of wood?

you might find this interesting:
http://www.gbcnet.com/ushighways/US8...lank_road.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Teamcasa wrote:

Rob, You crack me up. You must have had a very slow week and knowing that
winter is closing in on the frozen tundra, you hijacked this thread just for
giggles.

How dare you suggest that! I stand behind my views like I would stand
behind Ann Coulter. (Mind you, she'd be going: Ouchie-OUCH!!" for a few
days.)

Here, Rob - you should get a kick out of this site.
http://www.anncoulter.com/

What an unappetizing bitch that is... but I appreciate your sentiment.
She's the Madonna of politics. No talent..but knows that 'shock' sells.
Her crap is as obvious as an alcoholic's morning fart on an elevator.

So you are suggesting that I would stir the pot for a few yuks?
Okay...maybe.... but make sure you get to the village square Oct 5.
This can't go on, Dave. This **** is heading straight for an uprising.
That always sheds blood.
And...how-the-hell are we going to feed the 150 million Americans
streaming across our borders into Canada?

All the intelligent people the USA has to offer will be here in Canada.

What will be left, will be Bush voters with guns. NOT good! You KNOW
they can't shoot straight, and will cause some damage.. till they find
a 16-year-old page to cuddle up to.

Stir ****...me???

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Posted to rec.woodworking

I had something to say. 'They' didn't like it.

Don't you feel safe now?

------------------

Teamcasa wrote:

[...]

Stir trouble...me???

Naa

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Jack wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of anyone creating a driveway made of wood?

Sounds like the best choice would be IPE,
http://ipe-wood.com/faq.html,
as it is impervious to insects, rot and fungus and about is three times
harder than teak, cedar, PT-SYP or other weather resistant woods.

OP was thinking about oak. White oak would be the choice, red oak is
porous and rots readily.

Other domestic woods that might be better are black locust, very hard
and rot resistant, and osage orange (aka bodark, or hedge).

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.politics

Note Followups. Readers in alt.politcs are encourage to read the
precedent article in, absurdly rec.woodworking.

Tim Daneliuk wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

October 5 is going to be a big day. God bless all my American friends!

http://www.worldcantwait.org/

...and NO.. I am not some kinda 'lefty', in fact the opposite is
true...but enough is enough.

(I seldom voice my political views, here, or anywhere else...but for
**** sakes WAKE UP!!!)

Here we go again. From the web site (my comments indented):

YOUR GOVERNMENT, on the basis of outrageous lies, is waging a murderous
and utterly illegitimate war in Iraq, with other countries in their
sights.

Along with the governments of the UK, Italy, & Russia who all agreed
in the early going that the threat was real. "Outrageous lies"
is at the very least a vast overstatement and at worst an outrageous
lie in its own right. A mistake, perhaps.

No one claimed that Bush was the ONLY liar.

However, do you know any other country that claimed the
81 mm Medusa missile tubes were inteded, or even suitable
for cetrifuges?

Do you know any other country that claimed the Iraq-Niger emails
were genuine?

But then again,
the dictator in question *did* have a rather spotty human rights
and weapons history. It was understandable that most of the
Grownups thought he might just be a teensy threat.

Only the 'Grownups' who ignored the condition of the Iraqi army,
and the destruction of the Iraqi WMD facilites and stockpiles.

But, heck, who
cares about killing a few oddball Kurds anyway? They never vote
for Progressive Causes (tm) and are of no use to the New American
Intellectual.

Some of us were aware that the Kurds had achieved autonomy under
our protection.

YOUR GOVERNMENT is openly torturing people, and justifying it.

"Openly"? Really? Where's the video? Can I buy tickets? ...

Rules of evidecne that accept evidence esttracted under torture
condone torture. Promulgating those rules promotes torture.
The administrations opposition to anti-torture legislation that
would enforce basic moral values, as well as our treaty obligations
demonstrates that the governent has tortured and intends to
torture people.

You're right, they're not _open_ about it. Bush SAYS we never
tortured and never will. But his actions tell us the truth.

YOUR GOVERNMENT puts people in jail on the merest suspicion, refusing
them lawyers, and either holding them indefinitely or deporting them in
the dead of night.

The "people" in question are foreign invaders who do not wear uniforms
and are thus legally spies.

You know this how, exactly?

When our government does these things
to its own citizens, as it did in the Padilla case, I am 100% opposed
to them. But when it drops the hammer on foreign fighters, I applaud
the action. Spies are not entitled to the same protections a uniformed
combatant is. This has always been the case and remains so today,
notwithstanding the Drooly Craven commentary above. Personally, I'd
prefer that such foreign spies be hanged nightly for all to see - and
then have their remains fed to feral pigs so they can spend eternity
as pig feces ... but that's just me.

Until the USSC ruled, the Bush administration denied POW status and
1949 GC III protections to Taliban fighters who DID fight in uniform.

Denial of _some_ of the GC protections are permitted, only on a
case-by-case basis after a competent court or tribunal has found
that the person in question is not so entitled. Collective punishments
are strictly prohibitted. No person imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay
has received a hearing before a competent court or tribunal.

But do not forget, only a minority of the prisoners are Guantanamo
Bay are captured combatants. The overwhelming majority were
arrested in Pakistan, other countries, or were turned over to the
US by Afghans, many for rewards.

What evidence have you seen that ANY of those ever bore arms
against anyone?

YOUR GOVERNMENT is moving each day closer to a theocracy, where a narrow
and hateful brand of Christian fundamentalism will rule.

Sure it is. That's why Islamists enjoy as good or better freedom
of expression and faith here as they do anywhere else in the world.
Ditto, Catholics, Scientologists, Pagans, Atheists, and Wiccans...

That is NOT because the use is moving each day closer to a theocracy,
where a narrow and hateful brand of Christian fundamentalism will rule.
That is because those backsliders have been held in check.

YOUR GOVERNMENT suppresses the science that doesn't fit its religious,
political and economic agenda, forcing present and future generations to
pay a terrible price.

Because we all know that science is a matter of popular opinion
first, and if everyone is scared enough of, say, so-called Global
Warming, we should all rush out to adjust policy accordingly,
notwithstanding the considerable debate *within* the scientific
community. ...

I have seen no evidence that the edits demanded by the Bush
administration are motivated by popular opinion or debate within
the scientific community.

YOUR GOVERNMENT is moving to deny women here, and all over the world,
the right to birth control and abortion.

Right on! ...

No need to commnet.

YOUR GOVERNMENT enforces a culture of greed, bigotry, intolerance and
ignorance.

Right again. My government is so much worse than the enlightened
Islamic world that murders Christians, abuses women, engages in
African slave trade, keeps people in abject poverty and disease
by promising them heavenly rewards. ...

There are worse governments than ours. Ours is much better than
the governments of Russia, China, Vietnam, Egypt, and a host of
others. Bush is a better man than bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, or
Hitler.

For some of us, that's not good enough.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
TBM TBM is offline

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...

Doug Miller wrote:

Funny thing... here, when the wind blows from the north, it smells like
an asshole.

You are right!

Well put.

Posted to rec.woodworking

It is on the Case campus, between Euclid and Bellflower, and just East
off of Ford. http://www.hessler.org/map.html. It was a cool place to
live while I was in school. I doubt it has changed much in the last 20
years (it certainly hadn't in the 30 years before I got there!)

David

Lew Hodgett wrote:
David wrote:

I lived on a street called Hessler Court in Cleveland. Oak timbers, end
grain up, each about the size of a brick. I don't know the depth of the
"bricks". The street is about 150 years old (IIRC).

What part of Cleveland?

What you are describing has often been used as a machine shop floor.

Horseburg & Scott, a gear box manufacturer on Hamilton Av in Cleveland
used it for their shops.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

David wrote:
It is on the Case campus, between Euclid and Bellflower, and just East
off of Ford. http://www.hessler.org/map.html. It was a cool place to
live while I was in school. I doubt it has changed much in the

last 20
years (it certainly hadn't in the 30 years before I got there!)

Those are some very complete directions.

Had totally forgot about that part of town.

Back in my day, which was probably 30 years before you, there were a
couple of neat pizza joints there as well as the places up in "Little
Italy" on the hill.

Lew