Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Daneliuk Tim Daneliuk is offline

Default OT: (Perhaps You Could Remeber To Note This In The Future) DrivewayMade Of Wood?

Robatoy wrote:
Within 20 miles from my house, a road was built between Petrolia and
Sarnia, Ontario.
Entirely made from white oak soaked in creosote, it lasted a long time.
On it, carts with barrels of oil were transported from (what they
claim) the first strike in North America to (one of) the first
refineries owned by Standard Oil aka SO (phoenetically ESSO)
That road, today called (wait for it.........).....Plank road.
Sometimes, when a repair is done, or a sewer is laid, they will often
find remnants of the planks.

When a summer breeze rolls in from SSE, the scent of crude faintly
fills the air. That only happens a couple of times per year.

When the wind comes from SW, one can clearly make out the scent of
sheep, led to the slaughter by their dictator.

October 5 is going to be a big day. God bless all my American friends!

http://www.worldcantwait.org/

...and NO.. I am not some kinda 'lefty', in fact the opposite is
true...but enough is enough.

(I seldom voice my political views, here, or anywhere else...but for
**** sakes WAKE UP!!!)

Here we go again. From the web site (my comments indented):

YOUR GOVERNMENT, on the basis of outrageous lies, is waging a murderous
and utterly illegitimate war in Iraq, with other countries in their
sights.

Along with the governments of the UK, Italy, & Russia who all agreed
in the early going that the threat was real. "Outrageous lies"
is at the very least a vast overstatement and at worst an outrageous
lie in its own right. A mistake, perhaps. But then again,
the dictator in question *did* have a rather spotty human rights
and weapons history. It was understandable that most of the
Grownups thought he might just be a teensy threat. But, heck, who
cares about killing a few oddball Kurds anyway? They never vote
for Progressive Causes (tm) and are of no use to the New American
Intellectual.

YOUR GOVERNMENT is openly torturing people, and justifying it.

"Openly"? Really? Where's the video? Can I buy tickets?
Making someone scared or uncomfortable is not "torture". If it
were, I would sue "The View" for infesting the airwaves with
that Bloviating Blimp, Rosie O'Donnell. Harming
them physically or mentally in some fundamental way is. There is
a legitimate debate here about "how far is too far?", but your
pet organization hasn't remotely tapped into that debate. It's
a plainly stupid statement for consumption by similarly stupid
people.

YOUR GOVERNMENT puts people in jail on the merest suspicion, refusing
them lawyers, and either holding them indefinitely or deporting them in
the dead of night.

The "people" in question are foreign invaders who do not wear uniforms
and are thus legally spies. When our government does these things
to its own citizens, as it did in the Padilla case, I am 100% opposed
to them. But when it drops the hammer on foreign fighters, I applaud
the action. Spies are not entitled to the same protections a uniformed
combatant is. This has always been the case and remains so today,
notwithstanding the Drooly Craven commentary above. Personally, I'd
prefer that such foreign spies be hanged nightly for all to see - and
then have their remains fed to feral pigs so they can spend eternity
as pig feces ... but that's just me.

YOUR GOVERNMENT is moving each day closer to a theocracy, where a narrow
and hateful brand of Christian fundamentalism will rule.

Sure it is. That's why Islamists enjoy as good or better freedom
of expression and faith here as they do anywhere else in the world.
Ditto, Catholics, Scientologists, Pagans, Atheists, and Wiccans...
You know, all the other non "fundamentalist" sects that proliferate here.
The only "theocracy" that we're at any real risk of is the earth-
worshiping secular pantheists that infest the Academy and pollute
the minds of our young with *their* theology.

YOUR GOVERNMENT suppresses the science that doesn't fit its religious,
political and economic agenda, forcing present and future generations to
pay a terrible price.

Because we all know that science is a matter of popular opinion
first, and if everyone is scared enough of, say, so-called Global
Warming, we should all rush out to adjust policy accordingly,
notwithstanding the considerable debate *within* the scientific
community. Besides, Al Gore cleared it up for me this week -
its those nasty smokers that are gonna crank up the global
thermostat. Stem cells? Nevermind that - to date - no fetal stem cell regimen
has cured anything, but adult stem cells have. We need to keep
beating this drum because the target population is stupid enough
to believe whatever they read on the web or in an unmarked OT post
in a USENET group.

YOUR GOVERNMENT is moving to deny women here, and all over the world,
the right to birth control and abortion.

Right on! Those inconvenient little fetuses have no rights.
It's the rights of depraved, promiscuous, mattress monkeys who will part
their limbs for the cost of a glass of cheap scotch we have to
protect. (We used to call people like that "sluts", now we just call
them "feminists".) Especially if they hate men, despise traditional families,
and treat a developing child like a bad mole that needs removal.
Hail Connie The Crackhead and to hell with that unborn child that
cannot possibly defend itself. This is truly the Englightened
Position - the rights of an irresponsible, revolting, and ghastly
*adult* citizen trump the rights of a developing child which
cannot speak for itself. For the record, I do not entirely
oppose legalized abortion. I just entirely oppose the slimy, mentally
incompetent, philosophically vaccuous arguments of the Pro-Choice crowd.

YOUR GOVERNMENT enforces a culture of greed, bigotry, intolerance and
ignorance.

Right again. My government is so much worse than the enlightened
Islamic world that murders Christians, abuses women, engages in
African slave trade, keeps people in abject poverty and disease
by promising them heavenly rewards. Or how about those fabulous
multi-cultural Europeans that force their citizens to pay for
the state-approved religion by dinging each worker's paycheck?
Intolerance? Ever been to Paris? Try speaking anything other
than perfect French and see how you're treated. In my country
we have a difficult and ongoing debate about just how to
accommodate the many voices that are part of our pluralistic
society. We encourage immigration, many languages, many
religions, and a broad variety of personal expression, up to
and including the incoherent babbling of our own actors, musicians,
and news monkeys. In the larger span of human history there
has *never* been a durable culture that has room for this
breadth of expression and tolerance for this wide a diversity
of human activity. It is this tolerance for many view that
permits me the freedom to declare your views the view of
an unmitigated fool.

You've bought into the biggest lie of them all: If it's not perfect,
it's no good at all. Is my government wrong sometimes? You betcha. But
it is rarely *as* wrong, *as* often, as a good deal of the rest of the
planet. I know this not just because I read it somewhere, I know this
because I've actually lived in 3 different countries, grew up reading
and writing something other than English first, and have a long family
history of what happens when you let your guard down and allow the
intellectual sewage you're offering actually take root.

The cultural battle before us is not first with Islam, terrorists, or
any of the rest of what makes the front page of the New York Times ("All
the news that fit to make up on the spot."). The cultural battle is to
prevent the US - a nation that in only 300 short years made more good
things happen for more people *all over the world* - from descending
into the intellectual and moral middenheap that characterizes much of
the rest of the so-called West.

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/