Posted to rec.woodworking
sal sal is offline

Default Cutting curves:

Hello all.

I have an project that requires me to cut slight curves on pieces of wood
about 10" Lx 3/4"Wx 1"D this seems very dangerous to do with jig or band
saws. I was thinking of buying an Disc sander with the large vertical
oriented disc and the table rest. This would allow me to grind off excess
material and I might have more control.
What do you guys think about said plan?

Sal

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "sal" wrote:
Hello all.

I have an project that requires me to cut slight curves on pieces of wood
about 10" Lx 3/4"Wx 1"D this seems very dangerous to do with jig or band
saws. I was thinking of buying an Disc sander with the large vertical
oriented disc and the table rest. This would allow me to grind off excess
material and I might have more control.
What do you guys think about said plan?

I think a better idea is to cut the slight curve on a piece that's, say, six
inches wide by the required thickness and length -- then use a table saw to
remove the required narrow piece.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "sal" wrote:
Hello all.

I have an project that requires me to cut slight curves on pieces of wood
about 10" Lx 3/4"Wx 1"D this seems very dangerous to do with jig or band
saws. I was thinking of buying an Disc sander with the large vertical
oriented disc and the table rest. This would allow me to grind off excess
material and I might have more control.
What do you guys think about said plan?

I think a better idea is to cut the slight curve on a piece that's, say, six
inches wide by the required thickness and length -- then use a table saw to
remove the required narrow piece.

Yep, and if there are multiple pieces needed, you can simply repeat the
process and have near matching grain w/ well-selected piece to start
with. Also, for a short piece that is shorter than the table saw fence
you can save switching between operations for a slight efficiency
improvement by making the cut on both edges, then slice two off,
repeat...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sal" wrote in message
Hello all.

I have an project that requires me to cut slight curves on pieces of

wood
about 10" Lx 3/4"Wx 1"D this seems very dangerous to do with jig or band
saws. I was thinking of buying an Disc sander with the large vertical
oriented disc and the table rest. This would allow me to grind off excess
material and I might have more control.
What do you guys think about said plan?

Number one rule of woodworking: NEVER pass up the excuse to get a new tool.

That said, this should not be an unsafe cut on a bandsaw if you give it some
thought. A jig to hold the piece further away from your guiding/pushing
hands ... or cut the curve first in bigger stock, then trim your stock to
final width, etc.

Also, you might want to consider using a router template with a router and
pattern bit on a router table. A simple jig can be made in a few minutes to
hold the part securely/safely.

(Ignore the crap sitting on top of the one in the 3rd Spice Rack topic
picture down, for one idea of a method I use quite frequently to accurately
reproduce curves in small parts using just an mdf plank:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects9.htm ).

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/01/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , sal wrote:
Hello all.

I have an project that requires me to cut slight curves on pieces of wood
about 10" Lx 3/4"Wx 1"D this seems very dangerous to do with jig or band
saws. I was thinking of buying an Disc sander with the large vertical
oriented disc and the table rest. This would allow me to grind off excess
material and I might have more control.
What do you guys think about said plan?

Sal

Sounds good to me. A scrollsaw would also work.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.
Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland - lwasserm(a)charm(.)net

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sal -- especially if some of the pieces are the same shape, suggest you cut
a slightly oversize shape on 1/4" - 1/2" plywood, using a band saw or jig
saw. Sand or file the pllywood form until it's the exact shape you want.
Then fasten the form to a block of wood of the right thickness and use a
straight bit with a ballbearing guide riding on the form to cut the shape
very accurately. The method you presented below is very difficult to
complete without leaving flat spots or irregular curves on the work. --
Regards