Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Toxic Finish?

I applied Minwax Tung Oil Finish to my cutting board (one coat) and then
started to question its toxicity. Because you can not call Minwax on the
weekend, I decided to just sand the crap off and apply some food safe Salad
Bowl finish that I picked up today. I am still a little paranoid that their
still might be some finish soaked deep into the pores that I can't get out.

I know that poly is Non-toxic when dry and Tung oil is non toxic, but I am
not sure if they add any chemical drying agents that could be toxic.

Any suggestions?

---
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Stoutman wrote:
I applied Minwax Tung Oil Finish to my cutting board (one coat) and then
started to question its toxicity. Because you can not call Minwax on the
weekend, I decided to just sand the crap off and apply some food safe Salad
Bowl finish that I picked up today. I am still a little paranoid that their
still might be some finish soaked deep into the pores that I can't get out.

I know that poly is Non-toxic when dry and Tung oil is non toxic, but I am
not sure if they add any chemical drying agents that could be toxic.

Running out of things to worry about, are we???

I wouldn't worry much, once it is dry it will be pretty much contained
anyway.

If you're really worried about it, you could look at the MSDS for the
product which I'm sure you could find via a link from Minwax.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:

not sure if they add any chemical drying agents that could be toxic.

I have one toxic finish that's just about "not recommended for
chewing". I have to make it myself (lead dried boiled linseed) because
you can't even sell it any more.

These days, if they're selling a finish it's a major event if it has
the _slightest_ implication for toxicity. They're really just awfully
hard to find now.

Cobalt dried oils have _some_ concerns about the use of cobalt, but
this is magnitudes less serious than lead ever was. We might see moves
away from it in years to come, but it's certainly not a risk today or a
reason to get sandpaper out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have used Minwax Tung Oil on lots of salad bowls and such. It is supposed
to be food safe when dry. Considering the number of turners who have used
and do use it, and the lack of problem, I would not worry. According to the
MSDS
http://pages.slc.edu/~aschultz/chemi... Tung%20oil%22
you should not drink the stuff or let it into the water supply but I suspect
that is due more to the Stoddard solvents than the other undisclosed
chemicals (proprietary secrets).
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
I applied Minwax Tung Oil Finish to my cutting board (one coat) and then
started to question its toxicity. Because you can not call Minwax on the
weekend, I decided to just sand the crap off and apply some food safe

Salad
Bowl finish that I picked up today. I am still a little paranoid that

their
still might be some finish soaked deep into the pores that I can't get

out.

I know that poly is Non-toxic when dry and Tung oil is non toxic, but I am
not sure if they add any chemical drying agents that could be toxic.

Any suggestions?

---
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Non toxic finish. [email protected] Woodworking 17 April 24th 05 01:14 AM
Oak Dining Table colin UK diy 14 March 15th 05 02:45 PM
finish on kitchen cabinets leon spinks Home Repair 4 December 1st 04 11:31 PM
Can we use water based finish on oil based finish for maintenance coats? John Smith Woodworking 6 April 28th 04 05:45 PM
Mark Shafer's oil-beeswax gel finish (mini-review) B a r r y Woodworking 0 April 20th 04 11:33 AM