Posted to rec.woodworking
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Toxic Finish?

I have used Minwax Tung Oil on lots of salad bowls and such. It is supposed
to be food safe when dry. Considering the number of turners who have used
and do use it, and the lack of problem, I would not worry. According to the
MSDS
http://pages.slc.edu/~aschultz/chemi... Tung%20oil%22
you should not drink the stuff or let it into the water supply but I suspect
that is due more to the Stoddard solvents than the other undisclosed
chemicals (proprietary secrets).
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
I applied Minwax Tung Oil Finish to my cutting board (one coat) and then
started to question its toxicity. Because you can not call Minwax on the
weekend, I decided to just sand the crap off and apply some food safe

Salad
Bowl finish that I picked up today. I am still a little paranoid that

their
still might be some finish soaked deep into the pores that I can't get

out.

I know that poly is Non-toxic when dry and Tung oil is non toxic, but I am
not sure if they add any chemical drying agents that could be toxic.

Any suggestions?

---
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com