Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rail and Style Router Bits

I have a roman ogee rail and style router bit set that is used for
making raised panel doors. However, instead of making a raised panel I
just want to use 1/4 " plywood in the center. The problem is the groove
cut by the router bit is 6.8 mm and the plywood is 5.3 mm in thickness.
That is obviously too much play. Any suggestions.

Thanks
Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jonesy wrote:
The problem is the groove
cut by the router bit is 6.8 mm and the plywood is 5.3 mm in thickness.
That is obviously too much play. Any suggestions.

snip

Use a standard table saw blade set to the correct depth of cut to form
a dado.

Run the piece thru the saw, then turn end for end, same side down, and
run it thru again.

This will allow you to cut a dado 0.125" min, 0.250" max, depending on
how you set the fence.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Do the bits have shims between the cutters? Some do, CMT for example, have
thin washers as shims so you can fine-tune the fit. Maybe there's enough in
the shims to take up the slack.

If that doesn't work, perhaps (and I've not tried this) you could run all
the pieces through the router table and your raised panel bits. Then, fill
the grooves for the panel with solid stock, then re-cut the grooves on your
table saw or router table with a spiral cutter. Make sense? Like I said, I
haven't tried this, but it might work.

Mike

"Jonesy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a roman ogee rail and style router bit set that is used for
making raised panel doors. However, instead of making a raised panel I
just want to use 1/4 " plywood in the center. The problem is the groove
cut by the router bit is 6.8 mm and the plywood is 5.3 mm in thickness.
That is obviously too much play. Any suggestions.

Thanks
Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jonesy" wrote in message
I have a roman ogee rail and style router bit set that is used for
making raised panel doors. However, instead of making a raised panel I
just want to use 1/4 " plywood in the center. The problem is the groove
cut by the router bit is 6.8 mm and the plywood is 5.3 mm in thickness.
That is obviously too much play. Any suggestions.

Easiest solution I can think of is to find some low cost veneer or other
thin wood sheeting and glue a strip of it into that 1.5" of mm space to take
up the slack. Obviously, you'd want the raised panel to float, so don't glue
that in.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jonesy wrote:
I have a roman ogee rail and style router bit set that is used for
making raised panel doors. However, instead of making a raised panel I
just want to use 1/4 " plywood in the center. The problem is the groove
cut by the router bit is 6.8 mm and the plywood is 5.3 mm in thickness.
That is obviously too much play. Any suggestions.

I use similar bits to build radiator covers, which are filled with
perforated sheet aluminum. Obviously, the sheet metal is much thinner
than a any panel.

My solution? I make up a bunch of strips from the same species as the
rail and stile. These strips are the thickness I need to fill, and the
depth of the groove. During assembly, I apply a bit of glue to the side
of the strip that's away from the panel (or metal), and install them.
The panel will still move, as there is no glue on that side.

They look and work great, and are easy and fast to make as a batch. If
one slips a little while the glue dries, as fast pass with sharp chisel
or shoulder plane makes it all perfect.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jonesy wrote:
I have a roman ogee rail and style router bit set that is used for
making raised panel doors. However, instead of making a raised
panel I just want to use 1/4 " plywood in the center. The problem
is the groove cut by the router bit is 6.8 mm and the plywood is
5.3 mm in thickness. That is obviously too much play. Any
suggestions.

1. Don't use the groove cutter on the rail/stile set (that assumes it
is a separate cutter), use a separate router bit the correct size or
the table saw.

2. Have the groove cutter ground to the correct size.

3. Buy thicker plywood.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...