Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Jet, Excata fence rail material

I recentlly purchased an old Unisaw, and the first time I went to make
a "real" cut, other than teast cuts, discovered the Delta fence was
limited to a cut of less than 24". I needed to cut a 2 x 4 sheet of ply
in half. Moving the rails to the next set of mount holes would work,
but limit the left side cut. I could drill new holes a few inches
over... But, I happen to have a Jet, Exacta fence, but don't have the
rails.
I know the rail is 2" x 4" but don't know the wall thickness, or what
type of tubing to order, when I call a steel supplier. Mild steel? cold
rolled? seamless? etc. I kind of want to speak their language, when I
call, and order the right material.
I also need to know the size of the angle iron the rail mounts on.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to making a nice saw, even nicer!

Cliff

Posted to rec.woodworking

sailor wrote:
I recentlly purchased an old Unisaw, and the first time I went to make
a "real" cut, other than teast cuts, discovered the Delta fence was
limited to a cut of less than 24". I needed to cut a 2 x 4 sheet of ply
in half. Moving the rails to the next set of mount holes would work,
but limit the left side cut. I could drill new holes a few inches
over... But, I happen to have a Jet, Exacta fence, but don't have the
rails.
I know the rail is 2" x 4" but don't know the wall thickness, or what
type of tubing to order, when I call a steel supplier. Mild steel? cold
rolled? seamless? etc. I kind of want to speak their language, when I
call, and order the right material.
I also need to know the size of the angle iron the rail mounts on.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to making a nice saw, even nicer!

Cliff

I have an Exacta II on my Jet contractors saw. Want me to measure
something?

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
sailor wrote:
[...]

If you could measure the wall thickness on the tubing, and the size of
the angle iron it mounts on.
Anyone know the type of tubing? I want sonething that is STRAIGHT.
Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

sailor wrote:
I recentlly purchased an old Unisaw, and the first time I went to make
a "real" cut, other than teast cuts, discovered the Delta fence was
limited to a cut of less than 24". I needed to cut a 2 x 4 sheet of ply
in half. Moving the rails to the next set of mount holes would work,
but limit the left side cut. I could drill new holes a few inches
over... But, I happen to have a Jet, Exacta fence, but don't have the
rails.
I know the rail is 2" x 4" but don't know the wall thickness, or what
type of tubing to order, when I call a steel supplier. Mild steel? cold
rolled? seamless? etc. I kind of want to speak their language, when I
call, and order the right material.
I also need to know the size of the angle iron the rail mounts on.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to making a nice saw, even nicer!

Cliff

Can't help you with terminology but here are the figures on the Exacta
Fence II on my Jet contractors saw:

Angle iron is 1 1/2" x 2" measured on the outside and is 3/16" thick
Rail is 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" with a seam along the long edge (mounted down)
and is a little less than an 1/8" thick. I'm still a newbie so I don't
do 32nds yet ;-).

Hope this helps.

I'm thinking about building a workstation for my saw based on this:
http://tinyurl.com/k5off
If I do build it I want to expand my ripping capacity with a longer
rail so post back what you find out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

sailor wrote:
I recentlly purchased an old Unisaw, and the first time I went to make
a "real" cut, other than teast cuts, discovered the Delta fence was
limited to a cut of less than 24". I needed to cut a 2 x 4 sheet of ply
in half. Moving the rails to the next set of mount holes would work,
but limit the left side cut. I could drill new holes a few inches
over... But, I happen to have a Jet, Exacta fence, but don't have the
rails.
I know the rail is 2" x 4" but don't know the wall thickness, or what
type of tubing to order, when I call a steel supplier. Mild steel? cold
rolled? seamless? etc. I kind of want to speak their language, when I
call, and order the right material.
I also need to know the size of the angle iron the rail mounts on.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to making a nice saw, even nicer!

Cliff

That rail size should have been 2 x 3, not 2 x 4. Typo !!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the info. Just called a steel supply company, and was
quoted a price of $20. for the tube (60") And $7. for the angle iron.
Those were prices if mhe had to cut it. It would be less if he had a
cut piece in stock.
So it's off to the steel supplier tomorrow. Oh gee, it's near the
Woodcraft store!!!
Who knows what I'll bring home! Mainly going there to check on fence
mounting and ext. table mounting.
Thanks again to the group. This group is great for people like me who
are always in need of more woodworking knowledge.