Junior Member

Default 10" Table Saw blade Speed

Hello, I have a Craftsman 10" table saw with a 2hp 3450 rpm motor. I'm using a Delta 10" rip/crosscut blade. Right now I have a 2 1/2" pulley on the motor and a 2 1/2" pulley on the blade arbor. Is the blade rpm is to slow? What size pulleys should I be using and what is a good blade speed? Also, where can I get double sheave Link Belt pulleys? Any input will be great appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Last edited by silver_18038 : September 25th 06 at 01:29 PM
Posted to rec.woodworking

silver_18038 wrote:
Also, where can I get double sheave Link Belt pulleys?

Grizzly, Grainger, Google, etc...
http://www.grizzly.com/products/sear...0&subm it.y=0
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...subcat=Sheaves
One of the main benefits of Link Belt is that it works in normal v-belt
pulleys/sheaves. You have to look around a little more for the 3/8"
(3L) link belt, but it's available, also from the sources listed above.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

silver_18038 wrote:
Hello, I have a Craftsman 10" table saw with a 2hp 3450 rpm motor. I'm
using a Delta 10" rip/crosscut blade. Right now I have a 2 1/2" pulley
on the motor and a 2 1/2" pulley on the blade arbor. Is the blade rpm
is to slow? What size pulleys should I be using and what is a good
blade speed? Also, where can I get double sheave Link Belt pulleys?
Any input will be great appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Maximum rotational speed for virtually all 10" blades is 3600 rpm so a
1:1 pulley ratio is near ideal. Some manufacturers may come a little
closer than that, but I'd not sweat the difference. A set of larger
diameter pulleys will provide additional surface bearing, so you could
go up a little on both, depending on clearances available for the
particular saw.

I've never seen any particular reason to go to the link-belt although
others seeme to swear by them. OTOH, I have machined pulleys on
everything, none of the stamped "pot metal" type that are sometimes
poorly balanced or untrue, so vibration from that source hasn't ever
been a problem here. I don't have any feel for how well matched two
would be--would seem less so than matched pairs/triples of regular
belts given the way they're made, but that's just hypothesis.

Here's a link on blade safety from the Oldham site that's worthwhile
for reference--
http://www.oldham-usa.com/Saw%20Blade%20Safety.pdf

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

Maximum rotational speed for virtually all 10" blades is 3600 rpm so a
1:1 pulley ratio is near ideal.

Just a minor correction. The _max_ rotational speed for most 10" blades
(Forrest, Oldham) is right around 7000 RPM. (Dimar/Amana blades max out
at 7600rpm, Dewalt at 6000.)

The _ideal_ speed is closer to 3000-3600rpm in most cases, or right
around the standard motor speed.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
dpb wrote:

Maximum rotational speed for virtually all 10" blades is 3600 rpm so a
1:1 pulley ratio is near ideal.

Just a minor correction. The _max_ rotational speed for most 10" blades
(Forrest, Oldham) is right around 7000 RPM. (Dimar/Amana blades max out at
7600rpm, Dewalt at 6000.)

The _ideal_ speed is closer to 3000-3600rpm in most cases, or right around
the standard motor speed.

Chris

Which winds up meaning that the OP should leave the pulleys alone.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Chris Friesen wrote:
dpb wrote:

Maximum rotational speed for virtually all 10" blades is 3600 rpm so a
1:1 pulley ratio is near ideal.

Just a minor correction. The _max_ rotational speed for most 10" blades
(Forrest, Oldham) is right around 7000 RPM. ...

Yes, I was intending to imply a practical uper limit so the use of
"maximum" w/o a modifier was a poor choice...

Posted to rec.woodworking

--
silver_18038

Most 10" saws with induction motors are set up for about 4500 RPM,
+/- a couple grand. At any rate, it's safe to say that 3450 is too
slow. If you change pulley sizes to get close to 4500 you'll be in
good company.

The link belts don't require any special type of pulley. You can get
pullies from the usual suspects. Grainger, MSC, McMaster-Carr, as well
as several mail-order places. There is some argument over whether the
link belts should be used in a multiple belt setup. My contractor's
saw has only the usual single belt sheaves so I haven't had to form an
opinion on that yet.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.
Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland - lwasserm(@)charm(.)net
Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

"silver_18038" wrote in message

Hello, I have a Craftsman 10" table saw with a 2hp 3450 rpm motor. I'm
using a Delta 10" rip/crosscut blade. Right now I have a 2 1/2" pulley
on the motor and a 2 1/2" pulley on the blade arbor. Is the blade rpm
is to slow? What size pulleys should I be using and what is a good
blade speed? Also, where can I get double sheave Link Belt pulleys?
Any input will be great appreciated. Thanks, Jim

--
silver_18038

Looking at the 2004 Delta catalog, I see that the 5hp Unisaw has a blade
speed of 4000 rpm. The direct drive things have blade speeds of 5000 rpm.
The rest have blade speeds of 3000 rpm.
So, I surmise that 3450 rpm is not too slow. However, if you see a cut
quality problem that can definitely be attributed to a slow blade speed,
then you should see if 4000 rpm would work better.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jim wrote:

Looking at the 2004 Delta catalog, I see that the 5hp Unisaw has a blade
speed of 4000 rpm. The direct drive things have blade speeds of 5000 rpm.
The rest have blade speeds of 3000 rpm.

General 650/350 saws turn ~ 4000 rpm.