Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Edge glued panels(oak)

Does anyone have a good mailorder source for oak panels around 20 inches
wide and at least 4 feet long.

I'm going to phone around the Austin Texas area Monday but would like to
have options. I did Google but found only one source that seemed a bit
pricey.

I have a request for a night stand and they do not want plywood.

I am tempted to try edge glueing a table sawed set of pieces but hate to
spend the money on the oak and then have them not look so good.

Thanks for any info.

Ron T

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've made some nice ones out of T&G flooring.
Remember that the groove is deeper on top, to close the top part of the
joint, so you should joint the groove edge lightly to even it up. All my
cabinets were made with leftover flooring panels for sides. I had 4,6, & 8"
boards, and they look OK.
Wilson

"Ron Truitt" wrote in message
Does anyone have a good mailorder source for oak panels around 20 inches
wide and at least 4 feet long.

I'm going to phone around the Austin Texas area Monday but would like to
have options. I did Google but found only one source that seemed a bit
pricey.

I have a request for a night stand and they do not want plywood.

I am tempted to try edge glueing a table sawed set of pieces but hate to
spend the money on the oak and then have them not look so good.

Thanks for any info.

Ron T

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ron Truitt wrote:

I am tempted to try edge glueing a table sawed set of pieces but hate to
spend the money on the oak and then have them not look so good.

Just by way of encouragement, my father and I have done it using a
little Delta benchtop jointer and a TS that was out of alignment, and
we're not not that great, and the panels came out very nice. Lined the
edges up with biscuits. It was easy.

Good Straight Edge Ken Woodworking 27 August 1st 06 03:12 AM
Edge Glued Board, Poplar and Oak, deal or not? Elmar Woodworking 9 January 21st 05 08:22 PM
Sharpening buckaroo Woodturning 21 December 6th 03 06:55 PM