Elmar

Default Edge Glued Board, Poplar and Oak, deal or not?

There's a local Habitat store selling edge glued boards, 8" wide 5 foot
long for $6 for poplar and $10 for Oak. They are at least 3/4" thick.
Is this a decent price?

toller

"Elmar" wrote in message
oups.com...
There's a local Habitat store selling edge glued boards, 8" wide 5 foot
long for $6 for poplar and $10 for Oak. They are at least 3/4" thick.
Is this a decent price?

That is about the normal price for solid oak or poplar.
What is an edge glued board?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Elmar" wrote in message
oups.com...
There's a local Habitat store selling edge glued boards, 8" wide 5 foot
long for $6 for poplar and $10 for Oak. They are at least 3/4" thick.
Is this a decent price?

It is an OK price, not a great price from what I can see. You have 3.3
board feet of wood, but it would have probably been closer to 4 bd. ft.
before jointing and trimming. Oak is about $3.25 a board foot here,
poplar about $2

But it if you can use it, but not worth mortgaging the family farm to stock
up.

scobagle

Thats actually not too bad of a price. Especially for Oak. If its
S4S'd, then its not a bad deal at all, but if its still S2S, then I
agree with the other guy, a decent deal. The next thing to consider
would be the condition of the oak. Is it white or red oak, is it FAS or

Charlie Self

toller asks:

What is an edge glued board?

Boards glued edge-to-edge, not end-to-end or face glued.

Charlie Self
"One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above
that which is expected." George W. Bush

toller

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
toller asks:

What is an edge glued board?

Boards glued edge-to-edge, not end-to-end or face glued.

So they are 8" panels made up of smaller boards?
Why would these exist?
They can't be scrap, and it doesn't make sense to put labor in to making
them.

bf

My guess is that these were donated/salvaged from someone who had glued
them up for a specific purpose at one time.. (Since it is habitat).

Maybe someone made them for a project, and then realized they had to be
9" wide and thus donated them.

Edwin Pawlowski

"toller" wrote in message
news

So they are 8" panels made up of smaller boards?
Why would these exist?
They can't be scrap, and it doesn't make sense to put labor in to making
them.

Home Depot carries boards glued up pine from 12" to 24". They are good for
shelving or any place you need a wide board and don't have the facilities to
do a proper glue up. The oak my have been a similar thing. All the beauty
of oak, but a way to use up all that 2" stock that does not fetch a good
price at the wood dealers. May have been used as shelving so the seller
could brag a bout using solid oak.

George

"toller" wrote in message
news

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
toller asks:

What is an edge glued board?

Boards glued edge-to-edge, not end-to-end or face glued.

So they are 8" panels made up of smaller boards?
Why would these exist?
They can't be scrap, and it doesn't make sense to put labor in to making
them.

See the post about skip planing. Commercial outfits which make such
excellent furniture have scanners looking at the boards and automated saws
cutting out the knots and defects. Tends to make a lot of shorter and
narrower pieces which are subsequently finger joined and glued into longer
and wider boards. Some make a virtue out of it by flaunting the glueups on
tabletops and other surfaces. It makes a piece with greater rigidity than
plywood suitable for shelving, too.

Elmar

Well I bought a bunch of the red oak for some mission plans that I am
going to begin working on.

I figured even for the table top (coffee) I only have to glue up three
boards intead of a 8 to get the 24" width that I need.

They had some nice 3-1/2 inch boards in 5 ft lengths. I figured they
would be good for making jigs too....

Brings me to my next point about mission furniture.
Who makes the best mortise machine for the $$$$?

Thanks!

Elmar