Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router bits on ebay

Has anyone had any experience buying router bits on ebay? Is the quality any
good? Can anyone recommend a seller or tell me whom to stay away from?

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

SteveH wrote:
Has anyone had any experience buying router bits on ebay? Is the
quality any good? Can anyone recommend a seller or tell me whom to
stay away from?

Thanks,

Steve

In terms of genuine seller this bloke is a very nice person.
http://tinyurl.co.uk/b0fi

The router bits are of decent quality too.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

SteveH wrote:
Has anyone had any experience buying router bits on ebay? Is the quality any
good?

Hmmm... Well, that depends on the quality of bits you buy. If you get
good ones (Amana, Whiteside, CMT, Freud etc.) the quality is pretty
good. If you get cheap ones (i.e. $10 for a 35-piece set of low-end
chinese bits), the quality is pretty poor.
I've watched a few auctions of the better bits, and haven't seen any
amazing deals, but I haven't looked recently.
I like MLCSwoodworking.com for bits I won't use very much to save $;
and Infinitytools.com for bits I will probably use more often, or that
I want to last longer.
You might have more luck with advice if you ask more specifically about
a certain brand, etc.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for your feedback. If I were looking for a router bit that I knew I
was going to use regularly, I would definitely go with quality brand. I have
one-time need for a small project and I hate spending more for the tools
than the materials. I'm just looking for something that will make a clean
cut even if I have to make a couple extra passes. The picture on ebay (of
the one bit I'm considering) shows the words "Artisan Precision" on the
shaft. Anyone have any experience with this brand?

thanks,

Steve

"Andy" wrote in message
ups.com...
SteveH wrote:
Has anyone had any experience buying router bits on ebay? Is the quality
any
good?

Hmmm... Well, that depends on the quality of bits you buy. If you get
good ones (Amana, Whiteside, CMT, Freud etc.) the quality is pretty
good. If you get cheap ones (i.e. $10 for a 35-piece set of low-end
chinese bits), the quality is pretty poor.
I've watched a few auctions of the better bits, and haven't seen any
amazing deals, but I haven't looked recently.
I like MLCSwoodworking.com for bits I won't use very much to save $;
and Infinitytools.com for bits I will probably use more often, or that
I want to last longer.
You might have more luck with advice if you ask more specifically about
a certain brand, etc.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SteveH" wrote in message
. ..
Has anyone had any experience buying router bits on ebay? Is the quality
any good? Can anyone recommend a seller or tell me whom to stay away from?

Thanks,

Steve

Stick with name brands. You get what you pay for.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SteveH" wrote in message
. ..
Has anyone had any experience buying router bits on ebay? Is the quality
any good? Can anyone recommend a seller or tell me whom to stay away from?

Thanks,

Steve

I recently purchased some MLCS bit on the advice of other here, they work
great. You might want to check them out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SteveH" wrote in message
. ..
Has anyone had any experience buying router bits on ebay? Is the quality
any good? Can anyone recommend a seller or tell me whom to stay away from?

Thanks,

Steve

If you really want eBay quality bits, I have seen them at Big Lots if you
have one of those near you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

SteveH wrote:
Has anyone had any experience buying router bits on ebay? Is the quality any
good? Can anyone recommend a seller or tell me whom to stay away from?

When you say "router bits," my immediate impulse is to take the crowbar
to my wallet and get spendy. I'm usually very skeptical of "you get
what you pay for," but with router bits, it's probably true. And why
not go for it, when an extra $25 can make a whole world of difference?

And with router bits in particular, I feel a need to inspect them
before buying.

So I guess I didn't really answer your question. Sorry about that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Guys,

I'm going ahead with a bid on this bit and when I get it, I'll post my
results back to this thread.

Thanks for your advice.

Steve

"boorite" wrote in message
ps.com...

SteveH wrote:
Has anyone had any experience buying router bits on ebay? Is the quality
any
good? Can anyone recommend a seller or tell me whom to stay away from?

When you say "router bits," my immediate impulse is to take the crowbar
to my wallet and get spendy. I'm usually very skeptical of "you get
what you pay for," but with router bits, it's probably true. And why
not go for it, when an extra $25 can make a whole world of difference?

And with router bits in particular, I feel a need to inspect them
before buying.

So I guess I didn't really answer your question. Sorry about that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SteveH" wrote in
:

Thanks for your feedback. If I were looking for a router bit that I
knew I was going to use regularly, I would definitely go with quality
brand. I have one-time need for a small project and I hate spending
more for the tools than the materials. I'm just looking for something
that will make a clean cut even if I have to make a couple extra
passes. The picture on ebay (of the one bit I'm considering) shows the
words "Artisan Precision" on the shaft. Anyone have any experience
with this brand?

thanks,

Steve

For modest scale, don't want to over pay, get me a bit this afternoon work,
I;ve had pretty good success with the blue bits from Rockler Woodworking,
and the green ones from the local Woodcraft. I've been less impressed with
the yellow ones from the Orange Borg.

For basic, use for years, resharpen when needed, investment bits, I buy
either Whiteside or Amana router bits, and have been very satisfied with
their durability and accuracy.

There's a Freud rabbeting bit kit in the box, too, that I got from Amazon.
I probably won't do that again, though. Too much trouble, for me at least,
to order on line and wait...

Have fun with your project!

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

For those who are interested. I got my ebay router bit and did my project
today. The bit performed OK in soft wood but when I tried it with red oak it
was terrible. I think I'll send it out for sharpening and see it does any
better. This was a one-off project and I got the results I needed at about
half the price so I'm happy with my decision, but in the end conventional
wisdom prevails: If you want quality and dependability - go with the quality
brands.

Steve

"SteveH" wrote in message
. ..
Guys,

I'm going ahead with a bid on this bit and when I get it, I'll post my
results back to this thread.

Thanks for your advice.

Steve

"boorite" wrote in message