Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can you help me with a jointer guard.

UI am tryign to find or make something for my old craftsman. It is
similar to the one in these picturs:

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2012

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=1523

Parts are no longer available. ANy help would be appreciated!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"stryped" wrote in message
oups.com...
UI am tryign to find or make something for my old craftsman. It is
similar to the one in these picturs:

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2012

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=1523

Parts are no longer available. ANy help would be appreciated!

So what's the problem? You have a picture to go by, and you have your
jointer in front of you. You can always go to anyplace that sells jointers
to see what they do from the factory. What more can you need? At some
point you just have to put your hand to things and quit asking questions
about how/why/when/if.

Just get a piece of wood - any kind of wood, and make the piece. What good
does it do you to gather these tools if you're not going to step out and
try to use them?

Stryped... you have a long history of beating things to death with never
ending questions here. Give yourself a chance to succeed and just give it a
go. When you're done you can post a picture on a web site and say "look
what I built!".

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message
stryped wrote:
UI am tryign to find or make something for my old craftsman. It is
similar to the one in these picturs:

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2012

The first picture shows quite clearly how to make it...

1. Cut a piece of plywood like one shown
2. Mount ply on bolt or stud sized to fit hole in jointer
3. Stick stud/bolt in hole

....with a spring attached.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

stryped wrote:
UI am tryign to find or make something for my old craftsman. It is
similar to the one in these picturs:

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2012

The first picture shows quite clearly how to make it...

1. Cut a piece of plywood like one shown
2. Mount ply on bolt or stud sized to fit hole in jointer
3. Stick stud/bolt in hole

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"stryped" wrote in message
oups.com...
I guess that is my main question. How do I attach a spring for the
guard. I cant see one in the pictures.

You need to put a spring on there that moves the guard back into position.
There are several ways you could do it. Go look at a jointer that has a
guard on there and see how it works.

Try a little ingenuity. I think to have any level of personal success as a
woodworker, even a hobbyist, you need to be a little creative. Now is a good
time to start trying.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"stryped" wrote in message
oups.com...

I guess that is my main question. How do I attach a spring for the
guard. I cant see one in the pictures.

Think about it. Take 1/2 of the time you spend posting un-thought through
questions here, and devote that time to thinking about something as simple
as a spring on a guard. I'll guarantee you can come up with a perfectly
acceptable method.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

stryped wrote:
UI am tryign to find or make something for my old craftsman. It is
similar to the one in these picturs:

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2012

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=1523

Parts are no longer available. ANy help would be appreciated!

Here is a link with an example of a homemade guard:

http://tinyurl.com/fjsur

Posted to rec.woodworking

stryped wrote:
I guess that is my main question. How do I attach a spring for the
guard. I cant see one in the pictures.

You attach one end of the spring to the guard and the other end of the
spring to the machine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
stryped wrote:
UI am tryign to find or make something for my old craftsman. It is
similar to the one in these picturs:

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2012

The first picture shows quite clearly how to make it...

1. Cut a piece of plywood like one shown
2. Mount ply on bolt or stud sized to fit hole in jointer
3. Stick stud/bolt in hole

omg which end of the bolt goes in the hole? :-P

Posted to rec.woodworking

"stryped" wrote:

Think it would be hard to get this to work on it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUARD-CRAFTSMAN-...QQcmdZViewItem

:YOU ARE BUYING A NEW GUARD FOR A CRAFTASMAN 6 1/8" JOINTER PLANER .
:GUARD IS MADE OF PLASTIC WITH A STEEL MOUNT/PIVOT PIN . PIN IS 3/8"
IAMATER X 3/4" LONG THEN STEPS DOWN TO 1/4" DIAMATER X 1/2" LONG .
:OVERALL LENGTH OF PIN IS 1 1/4" . GUARD IS 7 7/8" WIDE X 8 3/8" LONG .

Does your have a 3/8" or slightly larger hole 3/4" deep? Does that hoe
then step down to 1/4" diameter for another 1/2" or so?

And how do you expect to be able to do woodworking if you couldn't
figure out how to ask yourself those questions?
Posted to rec.woodworking

stryped wrote:

UI am tryign to find or make something for my old craftsman. It is
similar to the one in these picturs:

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2012

Go here
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/woodindx.htm
and look at the illustrations of planer guards, "bridge guards" and the
PUWER 98 regulations. UK practice is not to use a sprung swinging guard
like the USA, but to have an easily adjustable rigid guard that's set
up before the cut.

The _huge_ disadvantage of a swinging guard is that they're only a
"guard" for an impact from directly above. If you feed your fingers
into them the same way the wood travels, then they'll swing obligingly
out of the way...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Mike Marlow wrote:

"stryped" wrote in message
roups.com...
UI am tryign to find or make something for my old craftsman. It is
similar to the one in these picturs:

...snipped...

Stryped... you have a long history of beating things to death with never
ending questions here. Give yourself a chance to succeed and just give it a
go. When you're done you can post a picture on a web site and say "look
what I built!".

--

-Mike-

Thank you, Mike.

--
Every complicated problem has a simple solution that doesn't work.

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
lwasserm(@)charm(.)net