Posted to rec.woodworking

Default David vs Norm - tools

I was watching Mr Marks turn a vessel the other day on a lathe that
looks as though it is big enough to turn the main shaft for the
Titanic. Where does he get these giantic tools like the jointer wide
enough to do an entry door?

This website has an episode guide for Norm and the tools he uses I was
wondering if anyone did something similar for Woodworks?
http://www.woodbutcher.net/episode.htm

Curious newbie who can't afford what either of them have.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in

I was watching Mr Marks turn a vessel the other day on a lathe that
looks as though it is big enough to turn the main shaft for the
Titanic. Where does he get these giantic tools like the jointer wide
enough to do an entry door?

This website has an episode guide for Norm and the tools he uses I was
wondering if anyone did something similar for Woodworks?
http://www.woodbutcher.net/episode.htm

Curious newbie who can't afford what either of them have.

Mr Marks is an interesting guy. I only recently began to watch him. My
cable company finally picked him up. He is half artist and half woodworker.

His tools seem to be half exotic and half recycled old iron. He has a small
oldtimer lathe that he learned on that he still uses. He keeps the old ones
around for sentimental reasons.

The lathe you saw was a Oneway lathe. See them at

http://www.oneway.on.ca/lathes/

They are a high end, big buck, industrial kind of lathe. Not many little
guys can afford (or house) such a monster. But they are well engineered and
purty!

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Mon, Sep 18, 2006, 10:09am
(Lee*Michaels) doth sayeth:
snip They are a high end, big buck, industrial kind of lathe. Not many
little guys can afford (or house) such a monster. But they are well
engineered and purty!

There is a however, as always. The however is, people have made
their own versions, for a lot less, and even larger. Somewhere around
here I've got enough info on how it has been done (on hard copy) to make
your own. I've got plans around for a wood lathe, that can basically be
made about any length you reasonably want, say 6-8 feet between centers.
The metal ones are really hevy duty, including on that a guy turns bowls
and stuff up to about 6 foot thru. Depending on what you're after one
could include a car/truck axle, possibly one, or more, car/truck
transmissions. If they're not heavy enough, some have hollow legs, so
they can be weighted down - even more - with sand, lead, whatever. You
might want to have a real strong floor too. I haven't pursued any of
this because, for now, my HF lathe answers all my needs. I would
imagine some of this stuff is somewhere on the web.

JOAT
I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know" damn
well they're after me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message

This website has an episode guide for Norm and the tools he uses I was
wondering if anyone did something similar for Woodworks?
http://www.woodbutcher.net/episode.htm

Yep ... that's one of the long time, regular participants here and is
typical of why the wRec can lead you to, or be, a veritable treasure trove
of information, free for the asking.

Curious newbie who can't afford what either of them have.

Take heart ... DJM was once a newbie himself. With the same amount of
interest and dedication to woodworking, who knows what "big iron" may lie in
your future?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
I was watching Mr Marks turn a vessel the other day on a lathe that
looks as though it is big enough to turn the main shaft for the
Titanic. Where does he get these giantic tools like the jointer wide
enough to do an entry door?

This website has an episode guide for Norm and the tools he uses I was
wondering if anyone did something similar for Woodworks?
http://www.woodbutcher.net/episode.htm

Curious newbie who can't afford what either of them have.

You mean the joiner that doubles as the flight deck for an aircraft carrier?

David does an show where he walks you thru the shop and talks about the
tools.

BTW, you can watch him on the web at:

[http://www.diynetwork.com/webdiy/channels/woodworking/]

Jess.S

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 14:43:26 GMT, Jesse R Strawbridge
wrote:

RayV wrote:
I was watching Mr Marks turn a vessel the other day on a lathe that
looks as though it is big enough to turn the main shaft for the
Titanic. Where does he get these giantic tools like the jointer wide
enough to do an entry door?

This website has an episode guide for Norm and the tools he uses I was
wondering if anyone did something similar for Woodworks?
http://www.woodbutcher.net/episode.htm

Curious newbie who can't afford what either of them have.

You mean the joiner that doubles as the flight deck for an aircraft carrier?

David does an show where he walks you thru the shop and talks about the
tools.

BTW, you can watch him on the web at:

[http://www.diynetwork.com/webdiy/channels/woodworking/]

Jess.S

Isn't that a Northfield jointer?

Let's think about it - how many hobbyists need or could use such a
machine? Or even have a place to put one? My DJ-20 is as big (and as
expensive) as I can have, for many reasons. My opinion is that that's
likey true for most other hobbyists too. Pros on the other hand, may
have the need and business justification for such equipment.
Posted to rec.woodworking

George Max wrote in
:

snip

Isn't that a Northfield jointer?

Let's think about it - how many hobbyists need or could use such a
machine? Or even have a place to put one? My DJ-20 is as big (and as
expensive) as I can have, for many reasons. My opinion is that that's
likey true for most other hobbyists too. Pros on the other hand, may
have the need and business justification for such equipment.

A cabinet making buddy of mine has a 12" jointer in his shop. Picked it up
in an auction for $600. Some things really suck.

My problem is too many tools for tha space I have, and needing to roll a
bunch of stuff to the driveway, in order to make something...

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

Patriarch wrote:

A cabinet making buddy of mine has a 12" jointer in his shop. Picked it up
in an auction for $600. Some things really suck.

Especially because now you don't need your own 12" machine for
occasional 12" jointing tasks. wink
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote in
m:

Patriarch wrote:

A cabinet making buddy of mine has a 12" jointer in his shop. Picked
it up in an auction for $600. Some things really suck.

Especially because now you don't need your own 12" machine for
occasional 12" jointing tasks. wink

I got a pretty sweet deal on a completely rebuilt, 50+ yr old Delta
Milwaukee last spring. 8" wide, long bed, relatively quiet. Sees not too
much use, though. A buddy of mine may buy it next month.

See, there is more crunch in space in the shop, than in space in the
wallet, most months. Tools should be appreciated, used. And my lathe is
getting a lost of the attention these days...

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 18 Sep 2006 06:50:54 -0700, "RayV" wrote:

I was watching Mr Marks turn a vessel the other day on a lathe that
looks as though it is big enough to turn the main shaft for the
Titanic. Where does he get these giantic tools like the jointer wide
enough to do an entry door?

This website has an episode guide for Norm and the tools he uses I was
wondering if anyone did something similar for Woodworks?
http://www.woodbutcher.net/episode.htm

Curious newbie who can't afford what either of them have.

Norm has his share of "exotic" tools too. Like that machine for
making mouldings. Or the big thickness sander. Just to name two off
the top of my head.

I think Norm's projects are more accessible to the average woodworker.

Many of David's are lot more involved. Lots of steps to take before
being able to make the object. Setups, templates and so on. And even
then, the shows of several of his project don't give enough info to
make a duplicate yourself. And there's no plans available either. If
you're determined to make one of those, better get out the drafting
board or cad program and work out what's missing for yourself. And
even then it won't be exactly like what was shown in his program.

Posted to rec.woodworking

George Max wrote:
[...]

David and Norm approach woodworking a bit differently, which helps to
understand how each develop their projects. Norm was a construction
site carpenter first, who learned the practical methods of building
furniture. He uses brads profusely, but his projects are easily
understood if not doable in a weekend (tell me that the Mahogany
Victorian dining room table he just built takes 20 hours . David on
the other hand was schooled in fine arts and learned from "fine arts"
craftsman. Norm was mostly self taught. Both are very talented in
their own rights and I would never say one is Better than the other.
They are different is all.

I've met David a few times and have taken a class from him. He's a
very practical woodworker actually. His tools were mostly acquired for
a reasonable amount, and a fair bit of elbow grease The jointer is
an excellent example as is his 20" Delta / Milwaukee bandsaw. The
Oneway is definetly high end, but was purchased for large outboard
turnings (big bowls and those circular plaques he makes).

One other thing, a number of David's project plans are available for
purchase from his website (www.djmarks.com). Every one of them was
completed by David in less than 60 hours. It was done this way to
ensure that they all fit within the networks tight scheduling for
shooting the show. Not saying that an "average woodworker" would be
able to complete one in the same amount of time, but that they aren't
as unreasonable as one may think.

Michael

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 18 Sep 2006 08:50:15 -0700, "mspanbauer"
wrote:

George Max wrote:

Many of David's are lot more involved. Lots of steps to take before
being able to make the object.
the shows of several of his project don't give enough info to
make a duplicate yourself. And there's no plans available either. If
you're determined to make one of those, better get out the drafting
board or cad program and work out what's missing for yourself. And
even then it won't be exactly like what was shown in his program.

David and Norm approach woodworking a bit differently. David
was schooled in fine arts and learned from "fine arts"
craftsman. Norm was mostly self taught. Both are very talented in
their own rights and I would never say one is Better than the other.
They are different is all.

I've met David a few times and have taken a class from him. He's a
very practical woodworker actually.

One other thing, a number of David's project plans are available for
purchase from his website (www.djmarks.com). Every one of them was
completed by David in less than 60 hours. It was done this way to
ensure that they all fit within the networks tight scheduling for
shooting the show. Not saying that an "average woodworker" would be
able to complete one in the same amount of time, but that they aren't
as unreasonable as one may think.

Michael

I don't think *any* of his stuff is unreasonable, or undoable, it's
just that there's plenty of projects, like the elliptical mirror or
that koa floor lamp that don't have plans available and important
dimensions are not given during the show for them.

Plus, as in the case of the floor lamp, he only says that the
alabaster lamp shade is available from any number of sources. Huh?
Where? I tried to find one and didn't. So I didn't even try to work
out the missing dimensions on that one. Without a shade that looks
like the one in the episode, I'd be disappointed in the result.

I'm in the process of working out the elliptical mirror, but again,
important dimensions are not given and there's no plan. This one is
somewhat simpler in that I only have to draw something that looks
about right.

Norm will name a source for project parts. That's useful. There may
be other sources too. At least having one source means I can make my
own copy for myself.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:20:48 GMT, George Max wrote:

And there's no plans available either.

Beg to differ:

http://djmarks.com/woodworks.asp

Not all, but some, especially the earliest episodes. Nothing for the last
three seasons, though.

--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 02:24:56 -0000, Art Greenberg
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:20:48 GMT, George Max wrote:

And there's no plans available either.

Beg to differ:

http://djmarks.com/woodworks.asp

Not all, but some, especially the earliest episodes. Nothing for the last
three seasons, though.

Please post the URL to get Mr. Mark's plan for the sculpted elliptical
mirror and the bent laminate lamp.

I didn't say that there were no plans available at all. What I said
was

"the shows of several of his projects don't give enough info to make a
duplicate yourself. And there's no plans available either. If you're
determined to make one of those, better get out the drafting
board or cad program and work out what's missing for yourself. And
even then it won't be exactly like what was shown in his program."

Of course I could be wrong.

I think a lot of time has passed from those last 3 seasons. Surely
there's been enough time to have drawn up a plan. However, I know Mr.
Marks is a very busy man and if he's the one that creates the drawings
that's probably why there are no plans for some projects. If that's
the case, he could hire someone like me to make the drawings for him.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , George Max
wrote:

Many of David's are lot more involved. Lots of steps to take before
being able to make the object. Setups, templates and so on. And even
then, the shows of several of his project don't give enough info to
make a duplicate yourself. And there's no plans available either. If
you're determined to make one of those, better get out the drafting
board or cad program and work out what's missing for yourself. And
even then it won't be exactly like what was shown in his program.

And:
In article , George Max
wrote:

I don't think *any* of his stuff is unreasonable, or undoable, it's
just that there's plenty of projects, like the elliptical mirror or
that koa floor lamp that don't have plans available and important
dimensions are not given during the show for them.

( . . . )
Norm will name a source for project parts. That's useful. There may
be other sources too. At least having one source means I can make my
own copy for myself.

I don't know whether you realize it or not, but you've stumbled onto
the key difference between Norm and DJM: Marks creates, while Norm
duplicates.

No slight intended to Norm by that statement, either. He's skilled at
what he does, but he's not an artist.

When you don't find measured "drawerings" of DJM's work, it's because
there were probably no drawings or plans at all. He sketches cut lines
on the work until it looks right.

Marks works with wood, not paper. One of Norm's shortcomings is that he
duplicates blueprints, regardless of what the wood wants to do. This is
*wood*working, afterall, not machining. It's all about the wood.

Or if it's not about the wood, then just shoot a couple of brads in it
until the glue dries, then stain it and cover it with polyurethane.

Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
I was watching Mr Marks turn a vessel the other day on a lathe that
looks as though it is big enough to turn the main shaft for the
Titanic. Where does he get these giantic tools like the jointer wide
enough to do an entry door?

This website has an episode guide for Norm and the tools he uses I was
wondering if anyone did something similar for Woodworks?
http://www.woodbutcher.net/episode.htm

Curious newbie who can't afford what either of them have.

He's talked about both of those things on various episodes. One was the
"shop tour" episode. He bought the jointer used, and he talked a bit
about hunting for old iron when building your shop.

I got the distinct impression that he bought the lathe new, after he
began to make a name for himself. I don't know why, but I suspect it
was a present he bought himself after getting paid for one of his first
big-money commissions.

In that shop tour ep, he also showed off his first bandsaw, a standard
14-inch with an extended table he built, and the one he usually uses on
the show: a monolith in the same class as that aircraft carrier of a
jointer.

When the pros get paid like pros, they get a proper-size shop and they
buy the big iron.

In my case, as in others, I couldn't fit even one of those things in
the shop and still have room to swing a board.

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
oups.com:

snip
He's talked about both of those things on various episodes. One was the
"shop tour" episode. He bought the jointer used, and he talked a bit
about hunting for old iron when building your shop.

I got the distinct impression that he bought the lathe new, after he
began to make a name for himself. I don't know why, but I suspect it
was a present he bought himself after getting paid for one of his first
big-money commissions.

In that shop tour ep, he also showed off his first bandsaw, a standard
14-inch with an extended table he built, and the one he usually uses on
the show: a monolith in the same class as that aircraft carrier of a
jointer.

When the pros get paid like pros, they get a proper-size shop and they
buy the big iron.

I had the privelege of visiting in David's shop for a few minutes last
summer. There were four bandsaws, at least. One of them was at least a
24" version. MiniMax, IIRC.

The work that David did for the show is just the sort that can be shown in
18-22 minnute segments. His REAL stuff is mind-blowing artistic, and of a
larger scale than most of the more mundane machinery will handle. His
shop, though, is pretty humble, as is he. Seems to be a pretty good
fellow. As Norm is reported to be, by those who have met him.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

Patriarch wrote:
" wrote in
oups.com:

snip
[...]

36" MM, biggest one they make

He is indeed a humble and unassuming guy. Much like Norm's reputation.

He made an offhanded comment about some of his projects that weren't
for the show that took in excess of 500 hours with some exceeding 1000
hours.

Awesome work, work I aspire to.

Michael

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 18 Sep 2006 06:50:54 -0700, "RayV" wrote:

I was watching Mr Marks turn a vessel the other day on a lathe that
looks as though it is big enough to turn the main shaft for the
Titanic. Where does he get these giantic tools like the jointer wide
enough to do an entry door?

This website has an episode guide for Norm and the tools he uses I was
wondering if anyone did something similar for Woodworks?
http://www.woodbutcher.net/episode.htm

Thank you. It was a fortuitous set of circumstances that permitted me
to get all the programs and put that site together. It would be very
difficult now for someone to try and duplicate the effort, since
there's probably not any source for programs from the first eleven or
twelve years of the show except to buy the videos from NYW (at $15 a
pop or more).

Moreover, there are a LOT of the tools used in the early years that
would be very difficult to find pictures or information of now. I also
must acknowledge the help of a lot of friends from the Wreck and other
woodworking fora plus several visitors to the site who steered me
toward some tool IDs (and corrected some) and in some cases even
provided photos.

I didn't get DIY channel for any of the years that Wood Works was
first run, so I'm a latecomer to his show, but I think I've seen all
the episodes. There haven't been any produced since '02, I don't
think, and I've heard DIY didn't renew the contract for more. I did
give some thought to doing a similar page, but I just don't have the
energy for it, and I'm afraid some of the same locatibilty issues
might arise with some of his tools similar to those mentioned above
from the early years of NYW.

Although I've never met Norm, I did meet David a year or so ago, when
he was invited to a picnic of local Florida woodworkers in the Orlando
area while here for a WoodCraft presentation. He was very affable and
clearly glad to be with us as fellow woodworkers.

I've had that vessel and several others of his projects in my hands.
TV does not do them justice. If you've ever seen the bowl he turned
out of maple with an ebony ring, that was another I've held. I
remarked to him that it just wasn't fair that there wasn't a single
sanding mark on it. He replied that there was a considerable amount of
off-lathe sanding on his work. Something learned.

Another of the picnicers and I made a Krenov style plane (friend did
the wood work, I made the iron out of an edger blade) for him at the
picnic before food was served and before he got there. He later
emailed us and said it worked great. That was cool.

Nice, down to earth guy.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
[...] Where does he get these giantic tools like the jointer wide
enough to do an entry door?

I've seen several posts about it, but does anyone know who made that
jointer? Or even (quantitatively) how big it is?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Heath Roberts" wrote in message
oups.com...
RayV wrote:
[...] Where does he get these giantic tools like the jointer wide
enough to do an entry door?

I've seen several posts about it, but does anyone know who made that
jointer? Or even (quantitatively) how big it is?

Seems to me it's an Oliver. Old iron. Had a sixteen at the college, and a
12 powermatic, or at least it was green.

Posted to rec.woodworking

No... but there are several sources for BIG Iron..
Here is one of the orignals...

http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/

http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com...s/jointers.htm

or even the old standby:

http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=935

They also make a 16" on the industrial side but I
can't find a picture of it.

PS:

A 24" jointer is very scary machine to even see,
little less turn one on.