Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Taking the protective coating off new chisels

Does anyone know what takes the protective coating off quickly. I've
tried lacquer thinner and it worked very slowly but I still ended up
scraping it off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jonesy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know what takes the protective coating off quickly. I've
tried lacquer thinner and it worked very slowly but I still ended up
scraping it off.

Sharpening will remove it. New chisels should be sharpened and their backs
should be flattened.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jonesy wrote:
Does anyone know what takes the protective coating off quickly. I've
tried lacquer thinner and it worked very slowly but I still ended up
scraping it off.

Nail polish remover (with or without acetone) works great for me.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

I thought about that but I remember reading an article that said if you
don't take the coating off it gums up your sharpening equipment. I
intended on sharpening them afterwards.

Leon wrote:
"Jonesy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know what takes the protective coating off quickly. I've
tried lacquer thinner and it worked very slowly but I still ended up
scraping it off.

Sharpening will remove it. New chisels should be sharpened and their backs
should be flattened.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

It would depend on what the coating is but, if it's something like
cosmoline, kerosene do a good job. It will have to soak a while (30 minutes)
in extreme cases but should soften it to the point that it can be easily
wiped off.

"Jonesy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I thought about that but I remember reading an article that said if you
don't take the coating off it gums up your sharpening equipment. I
intended on sharpening them afterwards.

Leon wrote:
"Jonesy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know what takes the protective coating off quickly. I've
tried lacquer thinner and it worked very slowly but I still ended up
scraping it off.

Sharpening will remove it. New chisels should be sharpened and their

backs
should be flattened.

Some Tips for Coating a Garage/Basement Floor with Epoxy tacker Home Repair 2 May 4th 06 11:05 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
What Is Elastromeric Coating Tom Home Repair 5 January 4th 06 07:46 AM
Problems sharpening chisels Richard Sterry UK diy 57 May 12th 04 11:21 AM