Posted to rec.woodworking

Default grizzly bandsaw

A little help with prepurchase buyers remorse please, Comparing the Grizzly GO513X saw (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513X) with the GO513 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513) wich is identicle except for cast iron wheels, resaw fence and larger table) , is the eXTRA $110 worth it? IS the extra 80 pounds worth of stability, cast wheels, larger table and resaw fence worth the$

Hell, nevermind, I just convinced myself :-)

Scot
Posted to rec.woodworking

srazor wrote:
A little help with prepurchase buyers remorse please, Comparing the Grizzly GO513X saw (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513X) with the GO513 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513) wich is identicle except for cast iron wheels, resaw fence and larger table) , is the eXTRA $110 worth it? IS the extra 80 pounds worth of stability, cast wheels, larger table and resaw fence worth the$

Hell, nevermind, I just convinced myself :-)

Scot

Hi Scot,
I have owned the G0513 now for almost 2 years and I have been very
pleased with it. However, If the G0513X had been available at that
time I would have gladly paid the difference for those features. IMO

Ronnie

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have also owned a G0513 for a few years and have been pleased with the
machine and performance.

If the G0513X had been around at the time, I may have felt compelled to go
with the "X".

I went to a local Grizzly showroom with the intent of purchasing the case
iron fence, and decided, it really does not add much in the way of features
over the present Aluminium fence - other than being able to use magnetic
attachments. I decided that what I really want is a re-saw fence, and for
this purpose desire a fence higher than the cast iron.

I would love a larger table. I have to say I do not need it often, but
always good to have more area.

I am not sure of the benefit of cast iron wheels in the real world. I know
they are not supposed to warp, and the extra weight will help the flywheel
effect, but I am not expecting the present cast Aluminium wheels to suddenly
become warped for some reason.

If I were buying again, I would look at both, and be tempted to save the
money. Either way I think you will be happy - they are both good machines.

My only "wish list" feature, would be a split lower door like the Rikon
models. I have my G0513 installed on a mobile base, and the caster only
allows me to open the lower door a few inches - enough to vacuum out the
lower part of the case, but not enough for blade changes. So when time
comes to change blades, it is rather an ordeal for me.

Get some decent blades. The Grizzly blades dull rather quickly. I recently
installed a 1in blade for some resawing and it worked great. I am leaving
this blade on the saw until I need to cut curves.

Dave Paine.

"srazor" wrote in message
A little help with prepurchase buyers remorse please, Comparing the
Grizzly GO513X saw (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513X) with the
GO513 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513) wich is identicle except for
cast iron wheels, resaw fence and larger table) , is the eXTRA $110 worth
it? IS the extra 80 pounds worth of stability, cast wheels, larger table
and resaw fence worth the$

Hell, nevermind, I just convinced myself :-)

Scot

Posted to rec.woodworking

is the eXTRA $110 worth
it? IS the extra 80 pounds worth of stability, cast wheels, larger table
and resaw fence worth the$

Hell, nevermind, I just convinced myself :-)

Scot

In 5 years, (or in 35 years), will you be wishing you had saved a
little money way back then, or will you be happy with the bigger table,
beefier machine, and nice fence? If you get the bigger one, I doubt
you'll ever regret it. If you get the smaller one, I can imagine
wishing for an extra few inches of table, or wondering if more cast
iron would help with this darned vibration, etc...
I think you probably convinced yourself correctly.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

srazor wrote:
A little help with prepurchase buyers remorse please, Comparing the Grizzly GO513X saw (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513X) with the GO513 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513) wich is identicle except for cast iron wheels, resaw fence and larger table) , is the eXTRA $110 worth it? IS the extra 80 pounds worth of stability, cast wheels, larger table and resaw fence worth the$

Hell, nevermind, I just convinced myself :-)

Scot

I think the cast iron wheels are worth it. I did an informal comparison
(not on Grizz, but similiar type bandsaws).. the cast iron wheels
seemed to have a lot more cutting power, but maybe that was just an
unscientific guess.

Posted to rec.woodworking

srazor wrote:
A little help with prepurchase buyers remorse please, Comparing the Grizzly GO513X saw (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513X) with the GO513 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513) wich is identicle except for cast iron wheels, resaw fence and larger table) , is the eXTRA $110 worth it? IS the extra 80 pounds worth of stability, cast wheels, larger table and resaw fence worth the$

Hell, nevermind, I just convinced myself :-)

Scot

:-)
I think your mind's already made up but I want to go on record with my
own humble opinion: the cast iron wheels are worth the extra money all
by themselves. Especially if you think you'll ever take that saw and
make it work like a horse all day long. Nice to get the other stuff but
it's those wheels I'm wishin for.