Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 220V Oulet in a detached garage from a subpanel

I have a detached garage that I have added a feeder panel (sub-panel)
to for extra power. Code required that it was a four wire connection
from the main panel in the house (Two hot, ground, and neutral). Also,
per code the two ground rods were required and the neutral bus was to
NOT be connected to the grounding bar in the subpanel.

Question: (finally) I would like to add a 220v outlet for a dust
collection machine -- easy wiring, only three wires, two hots and a
ground -- does the ground go to the grounding bar? This makes me
nervous as there is not dedicated neutral connection and the neutral
and grounding bars are not bonded -- as they would be in a normal -- in
the house set up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Great! Thanks for the information. I really want to meet code
requirements -- but the code is a little confusing to me (newby).

I don't have the neutral and grounding bars bounded. And the
grounding bar is connected to the grounding bar in the main panel and
to two grounding rods outside the garage and separated by about 7 feet
(what a workout).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't code state one ground form or
another, depending on attached or detached structures? Wouldn't a 4th wire
and separate ground rods be a code violation - more than one ground point?

--

-Mike-