Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mighty Mite 4" saw from HF: 1st look & sled

SWMBO got this miniature "table saw" from HF for making models and
small parts. Cost $30 on sale, comes with a blade for wood and a blade
for tile or stone. Here it is with some items for scale:

img src="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/boorite/DCFN0077.jpg"

a href="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/boorite/DCFN0077.jpg"Or
here./a

That pretend miter gage thing is completely useless. So I made a little
sled out of tempered hardboard, some pre-dimensioned oak hobby board,
some scrap for the fences, and a piece of Lexan:

img src="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/boorite/DCFN0079.jpg"

a href="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/boorite/DCFN0079.jpg"Or
here./a

Now it actually works. It'll actually cut 1/2" hardwood, but you have
to watch your feed rate. Very tiny motor, maybe 1 amp. It's great for
cutting a 1/4" piece off of 1/4" ply. No tearout!

Just goes to show that even el sucko tools can work if you think of
them as a platform for shopmade jigs. If the motor spins and the all
the machine threads hold, you can do something with it. In the case of
this saw, you absolutely have to make your own fixtures, or you will
probably decide the tool is useless.

This little sled amused me so much I just had to post about it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

boorite wrote:
SWMBO got this miniature "table saw" from HF for making models and
small parts. Cost $30 on sale, comes with a blade for wood and a blade
for tile or stone. Here it is with some items for scale:

img src="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/boorite/DCFN0077.jpg"

That is pretty nifty. Good job.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

boorite (in )

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5...e/DCFN0077.jpg

| That pretend miter gage thing is completely useless. So I made a
| little sled out of tempered hardboard, some pre-dimensioned oak
| hobby board, some scrap for the fences, and a piece of Lexan:

| http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5...e/DCFN0079.jpg

Nice sled! What are your plans for dust collection? Please share pix
of new attachments as you make 'em.

FWIW, an adjustable miter sled and a taper sled might go over well.

Sometimes it's not the size of the tool... :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"boorite" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

That saw is small enough to do a tablesaw comedy routine!!

That is the first time I saw a sled that is bigger than the saw.

I am sure that this little tyke would be perfect for that odd small job.

How much power does it develop on those two AA batteries?

Good fix and improvisation there!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2 Sep 2006 11:34:48 -0700, "boorite" wrote:

SWMBO got this miniature "table saw" from HF for making models and
small parts. Cost $30 on sale, comes with a blade for wood and a blade
for tile or stone. Here it is with some items for scale:

This little sled amused me so much I just had to post about it.

I just know I have the have one.

Enjoy
Pete

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

I saw one of those several years ago when a HF had just opened up around
here. Would have bought if it didn't have an, I believe $80.00 price tag on
it. At thirty bucks though, it would be worth having. Set it next to your
big one just to show your range of versatility.

wrote in message ...
I just know I have the have one.

Enjoy
Pete

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2 Sep 2006 11:34:48 -0700, "boorite" wrote:

SWMBO got this miniature "table saw" from HF for making models and
small parts. Cost $30 on sale, comes with a blade for wood and a blade
for tile or stone. Here it is with some items for scale:

img src="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/boorite/DCFN0077.jpg"

a href="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/boorite/DCFN0077.jpg"Or
here./a

That pretend miter gage thing is completely useless.

I got their 4" sander a little while ago, and damned if it isn't the
exact same thing with a different table. Same pretend miter gage.
You gotta love the "almost red" color though.

It's a little bit of a step down from the Byrnes saw, but at 1/15th
the cost, hey.

http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/t...m=0105MM362063

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
Nice sled! What are your plans for dust collection?

A two-stage system: brush and dustpan.

Please share pix
of new attachments as you make 'em.

Will do. Gonna make a rip fence today... and then get right to work on
the adjustable mighter and taper jig.

--Scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
How much power does it develop on those two AA batteries?

Aw, them's just for scale. This bad boy has to plug into the wall
'cause it draws almost a whole amp and develops 1/8 HP! Haven't wired
it for 220 yet so it don't dim the lights when I turn it on.

--Scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:
If I was big into model making I'd want one too. But I notice on
your little sled you can see where the blade comes right out the back -
if it was me, I'd glue on some sort of a little stop or something, to
prevent my thumb from accidently sliding over to that slot, and risk
pushing the sled too far forward. In fact, I'd glue a little block on
the fence, so my fingers wouldn't get over too near the blade either.

Yeah, I'm definitely gluing a little block to the back of the fence.

The real struggle is finding good aftermarket blades for this thing.
They're 4" diameter with a 1/2" arbor. There are lots of diamond-tipped
gem and tile blades out there, but Micro-mark is the only source I've
found for wood blades. They sell 3 different ones, each of which costs
almost as much as we paid for the saw. But at $30 I expected that.

--Scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3 Sep 2006 11:35:27 -0700, "boorite" wrote:

J T wrote:
If I was big into model making I'd want one too. But I notice on
your little sled you can see where the blade comes right out the back -
if it was me, I'd glue on some sort of a little stop or something, to
prevent my thumb from accidently sliding over to that slot, and risk
pushing the sled too far forward. In fact, I'd glue a little block on
the fence, so my fingers wouldn't get over too near the blade either.

Yeah, I'm definitely gluing a little block to the back of the fence.

The real struggle is finding good aftermarket blades for this thing.
They're 4" diameter with a 1/2" arbor. There are lots of diamond-tipped
gem and tile blades out there, but Micro-mark is the only source I've
found for wood blades. They sell 3 different ones, each of which costs
almost as much as we paid for the saw. But at $30 I expected that.

--Scott

Check with a local saw shop.... some contractors use small blades at high rpm,
and someone has to sell and sharpen them..

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis