Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Old Veneer

I recently came into an old Singer treadle sewing machine. Most of
the veneer is in fair to good shape, but is delaminating to various
degrees from almost all the way off to just the edges being loose.

I am seriously contemplating refinishing it (as opposed to using the
base for a hall table).

Anyone want to give me some suggestions on re-gluing, especially those
barely loose pieces, with only a 1/16" gap or less to get glue into?

TIA
Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

I had the same problem with my grandmother's 100+ year old Singer. You
could try to use a glue syringe to inject glue. In my case the veneer was
to far gone to reglue and I had to replace the veneer. I use white oak PSA
veneer from Van Dykes and mixed several colors of stain to match the rest of
the cabinet. You have completely disassemble the cabinet to take the top
apart. Once the top was disassembled, it was fairly easy to clean up and
apply the new veneer. It is usually moisture and/or direct sunlight that
causes the old hide glue to fail. Good luck
Scott

Glue for shop-made veneer [email protected] Woodworking 3 April 8th 05 09:09 PM
Experiences hammer veenering? Paul Kierstead Woodworking 14 March 22nd 04 06:34 PM
Help gluing veneer to kitchen cabinets Pierre David Woodworking 8 March 8th 04 09:00 PM
European Oak Veneer John Woodworking 0 January 18th 04 01:21 AM
Solid wood, veneer over mdf or plywood Rich Zellmer Woodworking 3 January 6th 04 02:28 PM