Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question on Hinging a Cabinet Lid

Got my first piece of furniture about 80% done this weekend. It's a
chest of drawers, except the top drawer isn't one, it's just a false
front. The lid is going to be hinged, so it lifts up to provide access
to the top compartment.

The lid is 18 X 32X 5/8 glued up walnut, so it has a bit of weight to
it.

1. How much hinging (or how many hinges of what dimensions) do I need?
Suggestions on type? I ask that because every jewelry box I've built
has given me fits mortising in the hinges and having the top close
straight.

2. The back rail is 2 1/8 X 29 X 5/8, also walnut. Do I need to double
it up to support the lid's weight and reduce the effect of twist
racking as the lid is opened/closed? It's half lapped to the verticals
that hold the rail and stile sides up and through M&T'd into the
stiles, so it's glued up pretty solid - but that much twisting force
concerns me a bit.

As a point of interest, all the drawer facings (they're ash drawers,
dovetailed fronts, rabbet and dado rears) are book matched glued up
panels. I bought 4" - 5 " wide 6/4s, re-sawed them on the table saw
(that was some fun cutting, even with a sled on the fence!), and glued
them up as 1/2" panels for the drawer faces. Cheaper than buying 10"
wide walnut, even if I could have found any.

Pics are at

http://web2.airmail.net/xleanone/index.html/Cabinet/

The cabinet will hold the knife collection also pictured there.
Keeping sharp blades out of #1 grandson's paws!

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards.

Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
Tom Banes wrote:
Got my first piece of furniture about 80% done this weekend. It's a
chest of drawers, except the top drawer isn't one, it's just a false
front. The lid is going to be hinged, so it lifts up to provide access
to the top compartment.

The lid is 18 X 32X 5/8 glued up walnut, so it has a bit of weight to
it.

1. How much hinging (or how many hinges of what dimensions) do I need?

I was looking in homedepot for this type of hinge but could not see any?
Maybe you could source it elswhere in the states?

They sell those at home depot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Banes wrote:
Got my first piece of furniture about 80% done this weekend. It's a
chest of drawers, except the top drawer isn't one, it's just a false
front. The lid is going to be hinged, so it lifts up to provide access
to the top compartment.

The lid is 18 X 32X 5/8 glued up walnut, so it has a bit of weight to
it.

1. How much hinging (or how many hinges of what dimensions) do I need?

I was looking in homedepot for this type of hinge but could not see any?
Maybe you could source it elswhere in the states?

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Banes wrote:
Got my first piece of furniture about 80% done this weekend. It's a
chest of drawers, except the top drawer isn't one, it's just a false
front. The lid is going to be hinged, so it lifts up to provide
access to the top compartment.

The lid is 18 X 32X 5/8 glued up walnut, so it has a bit of weight
to it.

1. How much hinging (or how many hinges of what dimensions) do I
need?

I was looking in homedepot for this type of hinge but could not see
any? Maybe you could source it elswhere in the states?

They sell those at home depot.

Fine,please do post the link to them?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Locutus wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message

They sell those at home depot.

Fine,please do post the link to them?

They don't appear to be listed on either the US or Canadian Home Depot
website. However, I have seen them in the store.

They're usually called "piano hinge" or "continuous hinge".

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...

I was looking in homedepot for this type of hinge but could not see any?
Maybe you could source it elswhere in the states?

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

It's called a Piano Hinge. You can get it from just about any decent
hardware supplier.
Here's one:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41241,41263

If the size isn't what you need, order the larger size and cut it down to
the size you need.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking

Milord:

Here in the colonies they're referred to as "piano hinges" and are
commonly avaialable. I am considering using said hinges on the top.

Thanks.

Ta.

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:43:02 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

I was looking in homedepot for this type of hinge but could not see any?
Maybe you could source it elswhere in the states?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Banes wrote:
Got my first piece of furniture about 80% done this weekend. It's a
chest of drawers, except the top drawer isn't one, it's just a false
front. The lid is going to be hinged, so it lifts up to provide
access to the top compartment.

The lid is 18 X 32X 5/8 glued up walnut, so it has a bit of weight
to it.

1. How much hinging (or how many hinges of what dimensions) do I
need?

I was looking in homedepot for this type of hinge but could not see
any? Maybe you could source it elswhere in the states?

They sell those at home depot.

Fine,please do post the link to them?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

I can't find them on the website, but I have bought several of them from
Home Depot.