Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Chinese Router

I picked up a cheap Chinese router off of eBay thinking I would use it for
the occasions where I need a handheld router. I have an Hitachi router
coming for mounting in a router table. However, this router is quite
substantial, and the "plunging" take considerable force to plunge it. I am
guessing the springs are very stiff, and I certainly wouldn't be able to get
any sort of precision having to exert that much force.

I am now considering mounting the Chinese router in the table and keeping
the Hitachi for handheld use. The Chinese router seems to have plenty of
power.

Since I have no experience with router tables, I was hoping you all good
offer some advice. (besides throw away the Chinese router. )

Posted to rec.woodworking

Locutus wrote:
I picked up a cheap Chinese router off of eBay thinking I would use
it for the occasions where I need a handheld router. I have an
Hitachi router coming for mounting in a router table. However, this
router is quite substantial, and the "plunging" take considerable
force to plunge it. I am guessing the springs are very stiff, and I
certainly wouldn't be able to get any sort of precision having to
exert that much force.

I am now considering mounting the Chinese router in the table and
keeping the Hitachi for handheld use. The Chinese router seems to
have plenty of power.

Since I have no experience with router tables, I was hoping you all
good offer some advice. (besides throw away the Chinese router. )

But this erm! chinese router have precision machine parts in it to warrent
putting it in a table?

Methinks not. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

Since I have no experience with router tables, I was hoping you all good
offer some advice. (besides throw away the Chinese router. )

Sell it on Ebay?
It is unlikely to give you any degree of precision, or last very long.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:35:48 -0400, "Locutus"
wrote:

I picked up a cheap Chinese router off of eBay thinking I would use it for
the occasions where I need a handheld router. I have an Hitachi router
coming for mounting in a router table. However, this router is quite
substantial, and the "plunging" take considerable force to plunge it. I am
guessing the springs are very stiff, and I certainly wouldn't be able to get
any sort of precision having to exert that much force.

I am now considering mounting the Chinese router in the table and keeping
the Hitachi for handheld use. The Chinese router seems to have plenty of
power.

Since I have no experience with router tables, I was hoping you all good
offer some advice. (besides throw away the Chinese router. )

Remove one of the springs and try it again
Pete

Posted to rec.woodworking

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
Locutus wrote:
[...]

Excuse my ignorance, but if it is mounted in a table, and it spins the bit
with enough power, what else does it need to be able to do?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Locutus wrote:
[...]

Stay in tune, without as much as a bit of centrifugal movement. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Locutus" wrote in message
Excuse my ignorance, but if it is mounted in a table, and it spins the bit
with enough power, what else does it need to be able to do?

It has to spin with precision, meaning no wobble of the bit. It need to be
able to hold a precise height adjustment. It needs to be able to hold a bit
with no slippage rotationally or in height.

Once it does all of that, it should be easy to adjust, easy to change bits.

I've owned one cheap router and learned my lesson. There is a difference in
the quality of your work when you use good tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You've got the thing give it a try. Check to make sure it doesn't have
automatic random bit height adjustment (bit moving up or down with out you
changing it) or a bit osculating feature. If it has those options you will
need to put it in a box to loan to your tooless neighbor. Otherwise you've
spent your money so what have you got to lose.
"Locutus" wrote in message
I picked up a cheap Chinese router off of eBay thinking I would use it for
the occasions where I need a handheld router. I have an Hitachi router
coming for mounting in a router table. However, this router is quite
substantial, and the "plunging" take considerable force to plunge it. I am
guessing the springs are very stiff, and I certainly wouldn't be able to

get
any sort of precision having to exert that much force.

I am now considering mounting the Chinese router in the table and keeping
the Hitachi for handheld use. The Chinese router seems to have plenty of
power.

Since I have no experience with router tables, I was hoping you all good
offer some advice. (besides throw away the Chinese router. )

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

sweetsawdust wrote:
...or a bit osculating feature...

By god I thought that was a typo until I looked it up to be sure before
smarting off
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?...=0&fc=6&gwp=16 Had
only heard the word used in the 1st sense (osculate, to kiss). Couldn't
imagine why anyone would want to do THAT with a router bit, downright
DANGEROUS it would be, 'speckly if the gizmo was RUNNING ;-)

Amazing what you can learn here. Even after reading the definitions
though, as well as this
http://www.answers.com/topic/osculating-circle-in-math, I'm still having
a hard time picturing how this applies to the motion of a router bit.

Dan
Posted to rec.woodworking

Locutus wrote:
[...]

The point is that you didn't pay enough. Or the
point is all Chinese stuff is trash. Or the point
is (add whatever recent stupidity you have heard).

Talked to a painter and ask him about the possible
cause of failure of paint on a neighbors house he
was power washing. Very enlightening--the cause
was poor prep (maybe) poor paint (didn't know what
brand was used) and home owner doing it. He only
liked two brands of paint, the rest were poor
quality, and he though home owners shouldn't
paint. (pretty much the same ideas regardless of
specialty expressed by many (most) so called
professionals.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

George E. Cawthon wrote:

The point is that you didn't pay enough. Or the point is all Chinese
stuff is trash. Or the point is (add whatever recent stupidity you have
heard).

I remember as a kid in the early '60's anything made in Japan was
considered crap. Not anymore, but the perception (and the reality)
didn't change overnight. I have a number of Chinese tools I am pleased
with.

Dan
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dan" wrote in message
sweetsawdust wrote:
...or a bit osculating feature...

By god I thought that was a typo until I looked it up to be sure before
smarting off
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?...=0&fc=6&gwp=16 Had
only heard the word used in the 1st sense (osculate, to kiss). Couldn't
imagine why anyone would want to do THAT with a router bit, downright
DANGEROUS it would be, 'speckly if the gizmo was RUNNING ;-)

Amazing what you can learn here. Even after reading the definitions
though, as well as this
http://www.answers.com/topic/osculating-circle-in-math, I'm still having a
hard time picturing how this applies to the motion of a router bit.

Dan

This internet is an amazing thing aint!!! Too bad it don't give a good
definition of Chinese tools! Junk.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

Tim Taylor wrote:

This internet is an amazing thing aint!!! Too bad it don't give a good
definition of Chinese tools! Junk.

Some are, some aren't. I have a number that were very reasonably priced
& meet my needs quite well.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Move up and down in a strait line. Spin the bits in a circle rather than a
oval. Adjust in some controllable manner. Keep doing it for a while.
"Locutus" wrote in message
Excuse my ignorance, but if it is mounted in a table, and it spins the bit
with enough power, what else does it need to be able to do?

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
news:10KIg.1922$5i3.542@bgtnsc04- Talked to a painter and ask him about the
possible
cause of failure of paint on a neighbors house he
was power washing. Very enlightening--the cause
was poor prep (maybe) poor paint (didn't know what
brand was used) and home owner doing it. He only
liked two brands of paint, the rest were poor
quality, and he though home owners shouldn't
paint.

Did he happen to say who he hires to paint his house?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 20:02:24 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Locutus" wrote in message
Excuse my ignorance, but if it is mounted in a table, and it spins the bit
with enough power, what else does it need to be able to do?

It has to spin with precision, meaning no wobble of the bit. It need to be
able to hold a precise height adjustment. It needs to be able to hold a bit
with no slippage rotationally or in height.

Once it does all of that, it should be easy to adjust, easy to change bits.

I've owned one cheap router and learned my lesson. There is a difference in
the quality of your work when you use good tools.

I agree with all you say, Ed... and point out that there are good, bad, and
(kawasucky) ugly Chinese routers...
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 19:03:22 -0700, Dan wrote:

Tim Taylor wrote:

This internet is an amazing thing aint!!! Too bad it don't give a good
definition of Chinese tools! Junk.

Some are, some aren't. I have a number that were very reasonably priced
& meet my needs quite well.

I don't think any of my tools are made in the US, with the exception of the
Shopsmith... almost all US tool companies have their stuff made in China or
somewhere off shore...

My guess is on the higher quality brands, the precision is better on the off
shore stuff because the tooling is a LOT newer...

My guess is that there is a world of difference (pun intended) in tools made in
China and tools made China for a US tool company that supplies the specs and
does some quality control.....
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim Taylor wrote:

This internet is an amazing thing aint!!! Too bad it don't give a
good definition of Chinese tools! Junk.

Some are, some aren't. I have a number that were very reasonably
priced & meet my needs quite well.

I don't think any of my tools are made in the US, with the exception
of the Shopsmith... almost all US tool companies have their stuff made
in China or somewhere off shore...

My guess is on the higher quality brands, the precision is better on
the off shore stuff because the tooling is a LOT newer...

My guess is that there is a world of difference (pun intended) in
tools made in China and tools made China for a US tool company that
supplies the specs and does some quality control.....

And if you're willing to do some tune up, the 'seconds' from the Brand
line do quite well. I've got a Makita router knock off that uses the same
parts list and instructions. Yeah, I had to clean it up, smooth it up and
lube it properly, but it cost me less than 20% of the Branded tool. And
the results are just fine.
Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
news:10KIg.1922$5i3.542@bgtnsc04- Talked to a painter and ask him about the
possible
cause of failure of paint on a neighbors house he
was power washing. Very enlightening--the cause
was poor prep (maybe) poor paint (didn't know what
brand was used) and home owner doing it. He only
liked two brands of paint, the rest were poor
quality, and he though home owners shouldn't
paint.

Did he happen to say who he hires to paint his house?

You thought that would be a trick question, huh?
Being a professional he would never paint his own
house, even though it is the worst looking one on
his block!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 06:35:41 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

CW wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
news:10KIg.1922$5i3.542@bgtnsc04- Talked to a painter and ask him about the
possible
cause of failure of paint on a neighbors house he
was power washing. Very enlightening--the cause
was poor prep (maybe) poor paint (didn't know what
brand was used) and home owner doing it. He only
liked two brands of paint, the rest were poor
quality, and he though home owners shouldn't
paint.

Did he happen to say who he hires to paint his house?

You thought that would be a trick question, huh?
Being a professional he would never paint his own
house, even though it is the worst looking one on
his block!

He probably has aluminum siding.. *g*