Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bandsaw tires slipping

I am the (proud) owner of a new Grizzly 17" bandsaw, my first bandaw.
I have Duginski's (sp?) book on bandsaws, and have the following
problem. I unpacked the Grizzly, put it all together, and adjusted the
tension, and thrust and guide blocks. At the tension recommended in the
instructions (between 4-6 on its gauge), I handroll the wheels to set
the tracking in the middle of the tire (a nice bright yellow, easily
seen). I roll and roll it (10-20 rotations) and it works fine. By the
way, I can't tell if the tires are coplaner, as the frame of the
bandsaw is proud of each wheel plane by at least 1/2".

When I turn on the saw, it runs fine for anywhere from 5-30 seconds,
with a nice hum from the saw. The sound changes, and I stop the saw.
The blade is against the wheel (metal to metal), and the tire seems to
have been squeezed out of its seat on the wheel. It is out of its
seat, sometimes just a little, sometimes completely off. The tire has
come off to the front and to the rear of the tire. I have adjusted
tension both to the light side and the tight side of the gauge, and it
still happens. Only the upper tire comes off; no change to the lower
tire.

A prior posting to this NG commented that he (she?) put the bandsaw
tire on with grunting and a couple of screwdrivers, like we all use to
do with our bicycle tires. I have had no such difficulty putting on
the tire; two thumbs and a little effort pushes the tire in place.

Is the tire a smidge too large? Should I try a little hot glue on the
wheel? Call Grizzly and ask for a tighter wheel? Go for Carters'
products?

Any and all ideas and comments appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

When I got tires from Suffolk Machinery the instructions were to soak
in HOT water 15 minutes then pry on to the wheel. Then they
contracted close to the wheel. Sounds like too loose might be the
problem.

On 27 Aug 2006 07:12:35 -0700, "Greg"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg wrote:
[...]

had the same situation. I used HPL (formica) glue to fix it. been fine
since. I don't think I'd use hot glue. any good contact cement should
do. don't wait for the glue to dry- slide the tires on while the glue
is slimy, get them straight and leave it for a day.