Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A repair using veneer

The top of a teak Danish Modern style of dresser was scorched when a hot
clothes iron was left on it. A lot of the other furniture in the house
(living room and dining room) is also teak but from a much earlier era and
built with reasonably heavy veneers. Over the years I have successfully
sanded or steel-wooled out minor imperfections in the better-built units.
When I tried to sand out the scorch mark, the veneer was so thin I sanded
right through it to the base material.

Now we are considering reveneering the top. Years ago I had done a little
veneering on some small pieces that were to be used as serving pieces for
cakes and the like. I have also used Formica types of laminate to finish
kitchen counter tops so I am not a complete novice in the process.

The dresser top in question is 88' long and just under 18'' deep.

Looking through Google I came cross two sources of veneers that might fit
the bill.

Rockler has flexible sheets that are 2' by 8'. It is 1/64" thick, paper
backed with pressure sensitive adhesive.

Constantine's has flexible sheets that are 8' by 1.5' and 1/16". Their
description does not mention adhesive but refers to "glued down". They also
have the peel-n-stick that sounds like the Rockler product. Constantine's
recommends it is best finished with varnish or polyurethane. The rest of the
dresser and all the other pieces are oil finished.

I would like to get opinions on these products particularly if you have
actually used them. Self adhesive certainly sounds easier, but sure that
there must be downside I want opinions from users rather than the suppliers.

Charlie

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Bress" wrote in
:

[...]

Get your product, and product support from Constantine's, when it comes
to veneers. It's their main product line. Rockler resells someone
else's stuff.

Top end furniture veneer is typically not paper-backed, self adhesive.

Patriarch

Kenwood KA-5700 - Please help me repair / Hobby Repair / Blows Fuses Tony Heslington Electronics Repair 5 July 10th 06 02:34 PM
Help with Veneer Repair Jon Woodworking 2 May 11th 06 12:40 PM
Kitchen cabinet veneer fading - how to repair? Steven L Umbach Home Repair 2 October 28th 05 04:27 PM
European Oak Veneer John Woodworking 0 January 18th 04 01:21 AM
Solid wood, veneer over mdf or plywood Rich Zellmer Woodworking 3 January 6th 04 02:28 PM