Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Child's table and chairs

I have just about worn out the Google search looking for plans for a
child's table and chairs. I am expecting my first granddaughter in
November and I would like to build a table and chairs for her first tea
party when she gets old enough. Anyone have any leads on plans?

Also, I am planning to paint it so I am thinking about using poplar. I
have never built anything that I have painted. Any problems associated
with painting poplar or children's toys in general?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here's one from Woodcraft:

http://www.woodcraft.com/search/search.aspx?query=plans

This is more doll-sized but my son-in-law's dad built one years ago and
scaled it up a bit. Kinda Cute. Might try Grizzly too, but theirs might be
from the same listing.

RonB

"Olebiker" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have just about worn out the Google search looking for plans for a
child's table and chairs. I am expecting my first granddaughter in
November and I would like to build a table and chairs for her first tea
party when she gets old enough. Anyone have any leads on plans?

Also, I am planning to paint it so I am thinking about using poplar. I
have never built anything that I have painted. Any problems associated
with painting poplar or children's toys in general?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Olebiker" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have just about worn out the Google search looking for plans for a
child's table and chairs. I am expecting my first granddaughter in
November and I would like to build a table and chairs for her first tea
party when she gets old enough. Anyone have any leads on plans?

Also, I am planning to paint it so I am thinking about using poplar. I
have never built anything that I have painted. Any problems associated
with painting poplar or children's toys in general?

You don't need plans. What you need is a few rough measurements, maybe a
picture or two. Go to the local toy store or children's furnishing
department with tape measure and digital camera and in a few minutes you are
ready to build. I've done that often to get some ideas.

There are no critical measurements, just guidelines. If the store table is
18" or 20" high, that is close enough, even if yours come a h alf inch
either side of that. Kids grow.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Olebiker" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have just about worn out the Google search looking for plans for a
child's table and chairs. I am expecting my first granddaughter in
November and I would like to build a table and chairs for her first tea
party when she gets old enough. Anyone have any leads on plans?

Also, I am planning to paint it so I am thinking about using poplar. I
have never built anything that I have painted. Any problems associated
with painting poplar or children's toys in general?

Get a set of full size plans for a table and chair, scale down 40%.

Painting Poplar is fine, it takes paint very well. Just use a lead-free
enamel. Dry well before use.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

I made mine from red oak. The dimensions and picture are on my web site.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/table_chairs.htm

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
You don't need plans. What you need is a few rough measurements, maybe a
picture or two. Go to the local toy store or children's furnishing
department with tape measure and digital camera and in a few minutes you are
ready to build. I've done that often to get some ideas.

There are no critical measurements, just guidelines. If the store table is
18" or 20" high, that is close enough, even if yours come a h alf inch
either side of that. Kids grow.

Here is one at WalMart that I think I will use as the basis of what I
am going to build:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4200608

It looks pretty clean and simple. Thanks for your help.

Dick Durbin

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Olebiker" wrote in message

Here is one at WalMart that I think I will use as the basis of what I
am going to build:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4200608

It looks pretty clean and simple. Thanks for your help.

Dick Durbin

Looks easy enough. Now that you have known basic dimensions print out the
picture. It won't be perfect, but you can scale other dimensions knowing
the table is 24" wide by 19" high. Careful, perspective throws things off
a bit. The enlarge photo on my screen is 2", the chair seat is 1 1/4", so
I'd guess the real chair height to be about 12". If you can go to the
store and measure, even better.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Woodworkers Journal Vol 13 # 1 1989 Childs Table & Chairs Front Cover
15" High x 24 L x 15 wide Complete plans

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutman View Post
I made mine from red oak. The dimensions and picture are on my web site.

Table_chairs

--
Stoutman
Woodworking videos, woodworking podcast, Garage Woodworks
"Olebiker" wrote in message
can you send more detail on the table and chairs like how you connected all pieces and measurements on spacing?