Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Buying a bandsaw

Recommendations please.

I am going to purchase a bandsaw for my shop and am able to spend aroun
$300 - $400.

Any suppestions?

Thanks
greyanne

Posted to rec.woodworking

greyanne wrote:
Recommendations please.

I am going to purchase a bandsaw for my shop and am able to spend aroun
$300 - $400.

Any suppestions?

Thanks
greyanne

as far as how big a saw or what brand, that will depend on things like
what you're making and how much room you have in your shop.

for that money I'd definitely be buying used.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Tom is offline

I would buy a Grizzly G0555. If you are not willing to spend a little bit
more you only alternative is to buy a bench top unit or a used one if you
can find it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom" wrote in message
I would buy a Grizzly G0555. If you are not willing to spend a little bit
more you only alternative is to buy a bench top unit or a used one if you
can find it.

BTW - For practical woodworking most benchtops fall in the "toy" category.
Too little power, capacity, quality, etc. They are generally considered
craft machines.

I Agree with others. You need to increase you budget a little, or shop
used. Local classifieds list them fairly often.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...

greyanne wrote:
Recommendations please.

I am going to purchase a bandsaw for my shop and am able to spend aroun
$300 - $400.

Any suppestions?

Thanks
greyanne

as far as how big a saw or what brand, that will depend on things like
what you're making and how much room you have in your shop.

for that money I'd definitely be buying used.

How about the Ridgid 14" for $350? From the reviews I have read it sounds
like a nice saw?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"greyanne" wrote in message

Recommendations please.

I am going to purchase a bandsaw for my shop and am able to spend aroun
$300 - $400.

Any suppestions?

If I were in the market today for a 14" bandsaw, I would try hard to find a
used Delta 28-299.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/19/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"greyanne" wrote in message
ups.com...
Recommendations please.

I am going to purchase a bandsaw for my shop and am able to spend aroun
$300 - $400.

Any suppestions?

Thanks
greyanne

Assuming you want a stand alone saw (not a bench top which is probably not
worth your time), you are probably looking for either used or a
Taiwan/Chinese saw. I personally have the Grizzly G0555 and have been
happy with it. I haven't checked the price lately but it should be close
to your budget.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"greyanne" wrote in message
ups.com...
Recommendations please.

I am going to purchase a bandsaw for my shop and am able to spend aroun
$300 - $400.

Any suppestions?

Thanks
greyanne

A good used one.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

greyanne wrote:
Recommendations please.

I am going to purchase a bandsaw for my shop and am able to spend aroun
$300 - $400.

Any suppestions?

Not w/o some idea what you think you want to use it for...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"greyanne" wrote in message
ups.com...
Recommendations please.

I am going to purchase a bandsaw for my shop and am able to spend aroun
$300 - $400.

Any suppestions?

Minimum you want is a 14". At $400 you are short for a Delta orJet, but
maybe a Ridgid. or Grizzly If you can find a decent used one, that would
be good. IMO, anything less than a 14" is asking for a problem. You won't
be happy with it after a few months and wish you had gone to the 14" right
from the start.

Avoid the 3 wheel models too; can be difficult to set up and track properly.
If you buy used, chances are it will need a little work, like new tires, but
that is minor stuff if in good condition.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"greyanne" wrote in news:1156177223.323377.16380
@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Recommendations please.

I am going to purchase a bandsaw for my shop and am able to spend aroun
$300 - $400.

Any suppestions?

Thanks
greyanne

Where do you live? I might have a Delta 14" saw that will fit your budget.

Posted to rec.woodworking

R. Pierce Butler wrote:
"greyanne" wrote in news:1156177223.323377.16380
@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Recommendations please.

I am going to purchase a bandsaw for my shop and am able to spend aroun
$300 - $400.

Any suppestions?

Thanks
greyanne

Where do you live? I might have a Delta 14" saw that will fit your budget.

I live in the Atlanta area near Lake Lanier. and am building adirondack
chairs right now but plan to build my own bedroom suite, along with
some other furniture.
After all I have more time than money.

greyanne

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am going to purchase a bandsaw for my shop and am able to spend aroun
$300 - $400.

Any suppestions?

After shopping for a new BS in the same price range, I chose on the
Craftsman 14" model 22401. I *believe* it's actually made by Rikon --
even the stickers on the doors are the same. With a cast iron table
and wheels (reduced vibration, increased stability), 8" resaw
capability (thickness), a 1HP induction motor (very quiet), and roller
guide bearings (instead of blocks), you'd have to spend a lot more for
anything else that's comparable. I've used mine quite a bit to make
veneers, bent laminations and panels. A *lot* nicer than the $99 Delta
9" wobble-monster I was using.

What the...?!?! I just checked the Sears web site and it appears that
they're no longer selling it. I really was too good to be true. They
must have been losing money on it, or perhaps the agreement with Rikon
ended. Hmph. Maybe you could get the floor model.

Never mind.

/dev

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lowes has a 14" Delta, 3/4 HP for $379.00 in the store.

wrote:

Recommendations please.

I am going to purchase a bandsaw for my shop and am able to spend aroun
$300 - $400.

Any suppestions?

Thanks
greyanne

A used Delta.

What factors affect bandsaw drift? [email protected] Woodworking 17 August 20th 06 09:12 AM
Jet JBS-14 Bandsaw Woodworking 0 February 9th 06 05:13 AM
Bandsaw review Bill Schwab Metalworking 0 January 24th 06 06:38 AM
Bandsaw Woodborg Woodturning 2 December 12th 05 08:35 PM
Bandsaw question... Pete C. Metalworking 15 November 26th 05 10:11 PM