Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Another winner from Lee Valley

A rather simple product, it's just a shelf hanger for "floating" shelves:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&cat=3,43648,43649&p=51933,
but they exhibit those little things that make the product much easier to
use. The main feature that makes this such a great product is the fact
that the set screws that hold the posts to the base plates are pointed,
allowing one to use them as locating pins prior to drilling the shelf
holes. This was really important to my application as I was using these
in a rather non-standard fashion, putting floating shelves around the
entire perimeter of our son's room, about 1 foot below the ceiling. The
ability to use the set screws as locating points made butting the shelf
edges together a straightforward task. Very cool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 22:54:13 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

A rather simple product, it's just a shelf hanger for "floating" shelves:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&cat=3,43648,43649&p=51933,
but they exhibit those little things that make the product much easier to
use.

It's kind of strange that they are quoting weight ratings for a 4"
deep shelf when the posts are 5" long though. It's probably just that
at 4" it worked out to a nice round 100 lbs or something, but it's
still weird.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

A rather simple product, it's just a shelf hanger for "floating"
shelves:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&cat=3,43648,43649&p=51933,
but they exhibit those little things that make the product much easier to
use.

It's kind of strange that they are quoting weight ratings for a 4"
deep shelf when the posts are 5" long though. It's probably just that
at 4" it worked out to a nice round 100 lbs or something, but it's
still weird.

-Leuf

Hi -

Good point... it's phrased akwardly...

Weight capacity is measured at a distance from a fulcrum.... so what the
write-up is trying to say (badly) is that the shelf will support 100Lb,
centered at 4"....with even distribution.

Cheers -

Rob

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:25:58 -0400, "Rob Lee"
wrote:

Hi -

Good point... it's phrased akwardly...

Weight capacity is measured at a distance from a fulcrum.... so what the
write-up is trying to say (badly) is that the shelf will support 100Lb,
centered at 4"....with even distribution.

Okay that makes sense. 4" is a pretty wussy shelf, I should have
figured that out

As long as I have your ear and we're talking about confusing wordings,
a while back ago I ordered some hangers (00S06.20) which are described
as

"The large hangers are brass plated, 1-1/2" high and 1-1/2" wide, and
have holes for #8 round-head screws."

Now I thought that meant you mounted it with 2 #8 screws, and they
didn't fit. I emailed customer service and told them it should be #6
and got a response that they tried it and said that a #6 seemed to
work ok, but a #8 worked fine. That had me going "Huh?" for a while.
I finally figured out they must be talking about the hole it *hangs*
from. And yep, a #8 fits in there nicely and a #6 works but is a
little precarious. I did send an email back saying that's what I
thought was going on, but never did get a response. At least for me,
when I'm ordering something like I'm not worried about what it's going
to hang on, just do I have the right size brass screws to mount it
with. And it definitely, positively mounts with #6

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

Maybe put a link to a 5"+ long 7/16" bit on the page while you're at it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gordon Airporte wrote:
Maybe put a link to a 5"+ long 7/16" bit on the page while you're at it?

A standard "jobber length" 7/16" bit is 5 1/2" long. I guess you could
drill most of the way in, then re-chuck it with just 1/2" in the jaws...

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 14:39:10 -0400, Gordon Airporte
wrote:

Maybe put a link to a 5"+ long 7/16" bit on the page while you're at it?

Yeah, that part was a bit of a challenge. I have some bradpoint bits,
but to get to 5+ inches, I had to drill an initial hole with the drill
press to get a good perpendicular start, then chuck another bit in the hand
drill, using only a short amount of shank to get the length needed. I
could have made a trip to one of the borgs for a long bit (I had 3/8 and
1/2" 8 to 10 inch long bits), but that would have taken more time than my
solution.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
A rather simple product, it's just a shelf hanger for "floating"
shelves:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&cat=3,43648,43649&p=51933
,

Have these just come out in the states?

The UK has had that type of shelf support for quite a few years now.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 02:47:59 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:
A rather simple product, it's just a shelf hanger for "floating"
shelves:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&cat=3,43648,43649&p=51933
,

Have these just come out in the states?

Probably not, some of us just lead sheltered lives. :-) What struck me
about these was the fact that the set screw could be used as a dowel center
to assure that the shelf holes are properly aligned.

The UK has had that type of shelf support for quite a few years now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:
A rather simple product, it's just a shelf hanger for "floating"
shelves:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&cat=3,43648,43649&p=51933
,

Have these just come out in the states?

Probably not, some of us just lead sheltered lives. :-) What
struck me about these was the fact that the set screw could be used
as a dowel center to assure that the shelf holes are properly aligned.

The UK has had that type of shelf support for quite a few years now.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------
------+

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------
------+

Alignment would be a doddle anyway,by means of a scribe run down the center
of the edge of wood measure how far in you want the dowl support. drill the
holes, push brackets into holes of shelf half way,offer it upto the
wall,put a spirit level on shelf,mark holes for mounting on the wall.
Drill holes in wall,mount brackets,push shelf into position.

Job done. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:
A rather simple product, it's just a shelf hanger for "floating"
shelves:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&cat=3,43648,43649&p=51933
,

Have these just come out in the states?

Probably not, some of us just lead sheltered lives. :-) What
struck me about these was the fact that the set screw could be used
as a dowel center to assure that the shelf holes are properly aligned.

.... snip

Alignment would be a doddle anyway,by means of a scribe run down the center
of the edge of wood measure how far in you want the dowl support. drill the
holes, push brackets into holes of shelf half way,offer it upto the
wall,put a spirit level on shelf,mark holes for mounting on the wall.
Drill holes in wall,mount brackets,push shelf into position.

Job done. :-)

The advantage of this is that one can install the hangars on the wall
first, thus assuring that you have hit the studs.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

wrote:

Alignment would be a doddle anyway,by means of a scribe run down the

center
of the edge of wood measure how far in you want the dowl support. drill

the
holes, push brackets into holes of shelf half way,offer it upto the
wall,put a spirit level on shelf,mark holes for mounting on the wall.
Drill holes in wall,mount brackets,push shelf into position.

Job done. :-)

The advantage of this is that one can install the hangars on the wall
first, thus assuring that you have hit the studs.

Consider that Sir Middlethwaite lives in the land of brick and stone. No
studs to hit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Alignment would be a doddle anyway,by means of a scribe run down
the center of the edge of wood measure how far in you want the dowl
support. drill the holes, push brackets into holes of shelf half
way,offer it upto the wall,put a spirit level on shelf,mark holes
for mounting on the wall. Drill holes in wall,mount brackets,push
shelf into position.

Job done. :-)

The advantage of this is that one can install the hangars on the
wall first, thus assuring that you have hit the studs.

Consider that Sir Middlethwaite lives in the land of brick and stone.
No studs to hit.

Hah! but Sir Benny has come across studding in false walls in the UK also
:-) to be fair finding the studding and distance apart is paramount before
any type of shelving goes up and this where my statement comes into play
ie... Quote: "measure how far in you want the dowl support".

;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leuf" wrote in message
snip
[...]

No worries - will have that one modified ASAP... of course, our 2006-2007
catalog is at the printer right now (258 pages this year!)... not sure if
that signature can be modified....but we'll try!

Cheers -

Rob